Author's Chapter Notes:
Many thanks to beta: melanie who has been with me from the start of this adventure and to myfeetshowit who has agreed to take me under her wing. I feel like I’ve won the Lottery!
Chapter 20~ Maturity

The reunited lovers spent that night comforting each other in their sorrow and loss in tears and passion. The giving of oneself in passionate and needy intercourse is the ultimate means of comfort in times of loss.
In the days that followed, time was spent in learning about each other. Long ago, Buffy accepted the fact that she would never have a normal life. In fact, she came to understand that even if she were not the Slayer, an ordinary life was not for her. She was the Slayer though, and as you grow, you learn to stop complaining about the things you cannot change. Nevertheless, she knew regret.
In what had to be the strangest courtship on record, she fell hopelessly in love with a man about whom she knew very little. During the time he was gone, in an attempt to be close to him, she did research to find out who Spike really was. She learned a great deal and it wasn’t awfully hard causing her even more disappointment with the Council that held domain over her life for so long. They claimed they knew nothing of a vampires life before being turned, when in fact it was like searching a family tree. Armed with only a few known facts, and having an idea of where to look, she learned Spike’s name, where he lived, went to school and worked as a young man. What she wanted to know and could only find out from him, were the details of his life. The things that lovers discover about each other in an ordinary courtship.
“I want to get to know William,” Buffy said to Spike on their third evening alone together.
“No you don’t, pet.” Spike said. “He was a bore, a Mama’s boy. Trust me, you wouldn’t like him.” He pulled her closer to him and went on, “I’m not him…and it’s me you love.”
She had to think for a moment. “I do love you, Spike. I love everything about you, and William is a big part of you, no matter how hard you try to deny it.” Spike began to interrupt, but Buffy turned in his arms to face him. Clearly, she had a germ of an idea and it was bursting to get out. She took a deep breath and said, “Without William, you wouldn’t have a knowledge of Latin and Greek!”
Spike arched his eyebrow! Buffy smiled. She knew she was on the right track. “Without William, you wouldn’t have been able to talk with Giles using all those literary references that used to make me crazy. You two might just as well have spoken Russian. It was all Greek to me.” That one made Spike laugh out loud, but he didn’t interrupt.
“Without William, you wouldn’t have been able to win over my Mom so easily. You were always so courteous and gentlemanly with her.” They both felt the need for quiet for a moment, stilled by Joyce’s memory until Buffy went on, “You know, I think she would have approved. Anyway, it was William who scored with Mom.”
“Oh, I could have scored with Joyce all on my own if I wanted,” said Spike the Naughty.
The smack and the “Ewww!” were simultaneous and he was ready for both. “All right! I give! What do you want to know?” he said as he tickled her and nuzzled into her neck breathing in her special scent.
Thus they began hours of questions and answers about each other. Buffy wanted to know what it was like to grow up in the 1800s and Spike wanted to know all about the Valley girl that Buffy once was. They shared school stories and family stories and legends, ordinary likes and dislikes and fell asleep in each others arms on the couch exhausted from so much exposition. They woke several hours later only to crawl right into their bed and go back to sleep.
~~~
Buffy stirred next to him and Spike readjusted himself to pull her closer, nestling so that they were spooned like an old married couple. Spike rested his right arm comfortably over Buffy so that his hand could cup her left breast and tease her nipple. He wasn’t trying to wake her up although he knew that her body would respond to the attention and then her mind would follow shortly thereafter. Honestly, he wasn’t trying to wake her up. This was one of his favorite times with her…of course; any time with her had become his favorite time. He so loved the warm sleepy scent of her. His body absorbed her warmth so he could nuzzle his face and nose into her neck and hair. He breathed deeply and thought about it. It was a combination of clean sheets and shampoo and sex….
Ever so slightly, Buffy shifted her bottom to press against his erection. He smiled and pressed a kiss against her neck and abandoned her breast and moved his hand to her lips and ran his finger over them and then between them and then returned his moistened finger to her nipple. She moaned. Yes, this morning would be like the one before it and the morning, evening and night before that.
This was their fourth morning together. They had neither seen nor talked to anyone but each other in that time. A fresh basket of food and beverage (and blood) had arrived twice a day. The meals were sumptuous and elegantly prepared with bottles of the finest wine to complement each meal. The couple had lost count of the times that they made love. Each had explored every inch of the other with exquisite tenderness. While their passion was all consuming, there was no need for the crazed urgency that had been part of their coupling in the past. They had forever.
After breakfast, Spike found a deck of cards and taught Buffy three different kinds of solitaire. At first she objected telling him she never intended to be alone again. As far as she was concerned there would be no more alone….ever! He agreed, but persisted and told Buffy that solitaire was a great game for teaching concentration and patience, two things she seriously lacked, a comment which ended up in a bout of rough and tumble.
~~~
Buffy pulled the towel off her head as she took the seat in front of the mirror in the old fashioned bathroom and Spike took the comb and began working the knots out of her hair. He loved the task and she loved him doing it. “Well, luv, not that I wouldn’t like to go on in this cottage forever, but don’t you think we should give your Watcher a call?”

She smiled at her own reflection. She didn’t think she’d ever get used to this scene out of and old Topper movie with the “ghost” running the comb through her hair. Her smile turned upside down, “Really? So soon?”

“It’s been four days. I suspect Giles is worried and besides, I didn’t tell you, there’s a bit of a situation going on in the world outside our love nest.”

“An apocalypse? Again?…Ouch!”

“Ooh, sorry about that, pet. No, not quite that, but something that may need the help of a Slayer and her trusty fanged companion.”

“So, spill.”

“Rather not, let’s give Giles a call and get together with him. We can share it all then. No point in repeating ourselves, right?”

“If you say so,” she said as she pressed her back against him. “Is that a brush in your pocket or are you happy to see me, Mr. Masterson. “ She reached her hand around and grabbed his round perfect bottom and pressed into him harder, “Oooh, …no pockets!”

“You…are…insatiable!” he chuckled as he pushed the hair away from her neck and planted a kiss there.

“Yup!”
This time the union was quick and passionate. Buffy turned, wrapping her legs around Spike as she impaled herself on him. No need for foreplay this time, they could barely keep their hands off each other.
After they showered and dressed as Spike waited for Buffy to do the final touch ups that women are wont to do, Spike was overcome with melancholy. He knew this miracle wouldn’t last…couldn’t last…truth, beauty, peace, happiness…eventually it all turns to rot. He hung his head in sadness…he knew he just had to wait, it was only a matter of time.
~~~

Xander sauntered down the hall toward Giles’ office. They were busy the past couple of days and had little contact. He had a few moments and decided on an impromptu visit. Of course, it very well might backfire on him. Giles never really thought of him as a pal….and it was a minute or two with a pal that Xander sought.

Mrs. Reed sat at her desk with head phones on. Busy typing important stuff for Giles. Maybe someday he’d have something important to say that someone else would type for him. Right now his time was mostly spent in study and flipping pages in an empty appointment book. Hey, the pay and the perks were good, so not complaining, here….He said these words in his mind and hoped that the Powers were listening and realized that he wasn’t looking a gift horse in the mouth….then he wondered if they understood the reference. He decided he thought too much.

Mrs. Reed lifted her eyes from her work and looked at him. It was evident she’d seen him, but there was no change in her expression and she never missed one keystroke. He understood the body language now. That meant stay put and shut up although probably using terribly proper words in an English country accent. He was beginning to get the fact that everyone over here didn’t sound the same, like not all New Yorkers sound alike. In that no speak moment she said, “Good afternoon, Mr. Harris. I’ll be with you in just a moment. Have a biscuit, won’t you?”

That was a good idea, so he reached for one of the shortbread cookies on a plate on her desk. Like lightning, her hand swept away from the keyboard and smacked his hand….hard! “No! Those are for Mr. Giles tea,” was all she said before her hand returned to the keyboard and her eyes returned to their work. It was so fast he doubted she missed a key.

After what seemed like an hour but was really only about three minutes, she removed the headset and glanced at Xander smiling and said, “How may I help you sir?”

Sir? He stood up straighter. “Is Giles….um, Mr. Giles in?”

“Yes,” she answered. Nothing else.

She wasn’t going to make this easy. She never made it easy.

“May I see him?” Might as well play her game and get it over with. No point in antagonizing the old bi…. gal.

“I’ll check,” she said, picking up the phone piece from the intercom set and turning her back to him. What? Was she afraid he was going to read her lips? Maybe he’d see her mouth move to the words, “Dumb dork is here…shall I get rid of him?” and God forbid she use the intercom speaker…but then he realized he’d probably hear Giles say, “Tell the Dumb Dork to come back later.” So maybe the subterfuge was to protect Xander’s fragile ego.

It turned out that this was his lucky moment. Too much to hope for a whole lucky day. “You may go right in,” Mrs. Reed said with a wide grin on her face like she’d just learned some very amusing secret.

Fragile ego kicked in!

“Giles! There you are…Master of your own universe, king of your own kingdom, president of your o…..”

“Yes, I get your point, Xander. What is it?”

Confused, Xander said, “What is what?”

Giles took a very deep breath and looked Xander square in the eye and said, slowly …deliberately
…”Why…are…you…here? Or if that isn’t clear enough, What… do …you …want?”

Danger…danger, Will Robinson, Giles possessed by evil alien being. Retreat! Think fast!

“Oh, I’m sorry, I guess I’ve caught you at a bad time. This is nothing critical….I’ll just leave now.”

Xander’s “deer in headlight” expression made Giles realize how very abrupt he’d been. He sighed and said quite sincerely, “I’m sorry Xander. I’ve had several very busy days with some very difficult problems….” He called out to Adele on the intercom (no phone piece equals comment suitable for dork ears) “Mrs. Reed, I’ll have my tea now, if it’s convenient. Two cups, please.”

“Certainly, sir,” was the return comment. Then, several moments of silence. Funny, it had never been awkward with Giles before. What was this about? At least the old one-eyed dork had enough sense to hold his tongue when it really counted.

Finally Giles broke the silence, “Do sit down, Xander. Tell me, then, what’s on your mind?”

“Gee, Giles, nothing particular….it’s just we haven’t seen each other in a couple of days, which is kind of unusual in itself and I wondered what’s the what!”

“Ah, yes….the what…” Just then Mrs. Reed brought in the tray with the tea and cookies. Before she put it down, Xander reached over and grabbed a cookie. He smiled around the morsel as he stuffed it in his mouth. It was an amazing thing….with no visible change in expression, Mrs. Reed managed to convey certain death if he tried it again. Fortunately, she didn’t hang around and left as soon as Giles thanked her.

Giles poured the tea for both of them. Taking cream and sugar in his, he left Xander to prepare his own. He couldn’t help noticing and thinking that four sugars was a bit extreme in a six ounce cup. Not his business, nonetheless.

Xander was antsy and finally said, “OK, I’ll start! What happened to Spike? We were spending practically every minute with the bleached undead and now he seems to have disappeared.…and what about MacGregor?…and what did you finally do with Kennedy?” He was on a roll now….”And what about…?”

“Enough!” Giles sincerely did not want to get into the Spike/Buffy situation with Xander just now, so he ignored that question and went on to the next. “This may come as a shock to you, but I do have other matters to attend to.”

Properly chastised, Xander apologized and offered his help. “You know G, I’m really not as stupid as I look, and I have “clocked field time.” (There it was again, his favorite phrase…even if he had to say it himself) “There are probably some tasks I could take off your hands.”

“Xander, that’s very generous, but you are still a student yourself.”

“Beg to differ, old man…um…I didn’t say that, OK? …the old man part.” Giles smiled. “So, I get that you don’t want me interviewing new employees or meeting with the girl’s parents, but I can add columns of numbers and compile data reports and stuff like that. Admit it, the only reason you don’t have the secretaries do it is because it’s “sensitive” information. I’m sensitive and I have Top Secret Security clearance….you said so yourself…and what about research? I’m Sensitive-Secretive-Research Man! I’ve even got the cape!”

This last line got him a chuckle at least and Xander felt much more at ease with the man who had been like the father he wished he had. He had come to terms with the issues surrounding his parents in the years since Sunnydale. They weren’t as awful as he thought.…Yes they were… But they had their own demons to fight. Demons like having married too young because they “had to” (that was a shocker when he finally did the math.)

Dad quit college after three semesters to get a job…he always wanted to be a journalist so he went to work for the local paper….in the Circulation Department …which meant he drove the truck that delivered the papers to the paper carriers and stores. His last stop every day was next to the Last Chance Saloon. He figured it was an omen and made sure he had a couple of drinks. After all, it was his last chance before he went home to a crying teen wife and crying baby. Then the paper downsized. He didn’t lose his job. He wasn’t that lucky. He got another job added on. Now he could take the papers off the presses and bind them into stacks and load the truck before he delivered them. After all that, a man needed a drink. It got so that first drink was the only part of the day he looked forward to.

Xander’s Mom never even got a High School Diploma. He remembered that embarrassed her. There was always a fight when they were supposed to go to Open House at school. She was too ashamed and Dad was too drunk. It finally got so that he told the teacher that his parents were sick that day. Not so funny thing was…they were….except it was every day.

Giles just continued to smile. “Sometimes you can be almost as refreshing as tea, Xander, and if you ever tell anyone I said that, I’ll have to kill you. Now, let me fill you in on the MacGregor situation.” Giles explained most of what they’d learned from him several nights ago and that he was waiting to hear back from Giles. He explained that he put an enormous amount of thought into the matter and thought that the had devised a rather clever contrivance, but after all those years working with a team in Sunnydale, he was hesitant to move forward without sharing his plan with others for some feedback.

“Share away, old man.”

Giles pursed his mouth in a hard line and looked annoyed….Xander thought it was mocked, “Enough of that, now! I will share, this evening at my cottage.”

“Ah, that must mean our undead drinking buddy is still around. What’s he been up to anyway?”

“Just seeing to some personal business, I believe. His is British, Xander.”

“Oh, I get it! He’s making the rounds of the cemeteries visiting relatives, huh? Look, if you don’t want to tell me, it’s OK. What time do you want me at your place?”

Giles thought a moment and said, “Around seven, I think. Will that be alright?”

“As if it matters what I think. Yeah, seven will be fine.”

“Xander, before you go,”….he hesitated. “I want to thank you for your offer. That was quite noble. You should know I have someone in mind for just the sort of work you describe, but I will take your offer under advisement and get back to you, alright?”

Xander was touched by Giles professional tone, not that he hadn’t heard him speak professionally before, but to him….about him. Wow, an idea of his was being taken under advisement. He was definitely moving up in the world. He wanted to bubble a bit, but decided that he would seem childish again and since he was being given an opportunity to rise to an expectation, he decided on a simple but forthright, “Yes, thank you. See you at seven.”

As the door closed, Giles sipped his tea and reached for a biscuit. The plate was empty.

~~~