Many thanks to betas: nightshift and cloviss

Chapter 41 ~ Aftermath

Arthur sent the tech squad back to the scene of the blast. He and Carruthers drove Spike, Buffy and Leah while the others walked the short distance to the cottage. Buffy and Leah took Spike to the bathroom where Buffy helped Spike into the shower and then Leah treated his wound. Inspector Arthur began picking up the broken china on the floor while Carruthers attempted to mend the broken door. Still in awe of the things they’d seen and heard in the last few hours, they couldn't help but want to stick around to see what happens next.

By the time the others straggled in, Spike was settled in the overstuffed chair with a cup of warm seasoned blood. Leah made coffee and set tea to steep as Buffy took what was left of the china to set out cups, saucers, and plates for the leftover desserts. She thought, Weirdness is no excuse to be a bad hostess. I wonder if they teach Slayer Etiquette here?


With the fire crackling and the drapes pulled tight against the chill November night, the room was cozy until Giles, Xander, Dawn and MacGregor burst in causing the curtains to flutter. “Oo-oo-oh that fire feels good,” said Xander as he went to warm his hands at the fireplace dragging the icy chill with him.

Giles piped in with, “I’ll second that,” and followed Xander.

He spotted Spike and was just about to ask how he was doing when Spike shouted, “Oi! Convalescing here. Shut the fucking door.”

Giles smiled and said, “Harrumph! Good to see you looking so fit, Spike.”

Spike gave him a sidelong snarl, “Mmmm,” and reached for his glass.

Buffy offered, “Tea?”

“Yes, thank you,” said Giles and then went on, “With a generous dollop of single malt in the tea.” Then, as an afterthought, “ … and another on the side.”

Spike should have just gone to bed, but he wanted to listen to the debriefing first hand. “Drink my good Scotch, Rupes, but drink it neat. You want flavoring for your tea, use somebody else’s cheap swill.”

“Quite right, Spike. I apologize to you and your Scotch. Join me? Or is that the seasoning in your mug?”

Spike’s sly smile was sufficient.

Affronted, Giles said, “No single malt in my tea but you’re adding it to blood? Good Lord!”

“It’s my Scotch. I’ll do what I please,” Spike said as he tossed back the last of this mug and held it up to Buffy for a refill. The effort was too much and Spike was overcome with a fit of coughing. He wiped his mouth. The cloth came away covered in blood. “Guess I can expect this to happen for awhile, eh?” His question was directed to Leah.

She went to him and examined the cloth. “With your vampire healing, Spike, not more than a day or two,” she said, returning the cloth.

“Well, that’s good news. Seen too many like that back in the day.”

Giles raised his head as though a thought just popped into his head. “Leah, I have a question.”

“Oh?”

“Spike has had two serious injuries of late.”

Leah nodded, “Yes,” and wondered where this was going.

“His … um, previous wound took weeks to heal with daily dressing changes and who knows what all. You raised all sorts of concerns regarding his quality of life in the future and generally give us all … well, shivers. This time, he has a hole through his chest I can put my fist through and you’re telling us he’ll be right as rain in a few days.” He scanned the group and then with a smug look said, “As Buffy would say, ‘What’s up with that?’”

Spike sat forward, the movement causing him to grimace. With a flash of yellow in his eyes, he fixed his gaze on Leah and said, “Yeah. What is up with that?”

Leah looked astounded.

“Coming back every day, sometimes twice a day, flippin’ me over to fiddle with my bits? Liked it, did you?” He lowered his eyes, “You’re not the first.”

Xander could take no more. “Your “bits” aren’t all that special, Spike. I know.”

Spike winked at Buffy and gave Xander a saucy smile, “Now don’t go givin’ away secrets, Harris.”

“Hey, cut that out!” Xander shouted. “You know perfectly well what I mean …” He raised his brows and opened his eyes wide, “When I plucked your nuts from the claws of the gnarvole? Huh? Remember that, Spikey?”

“I’ll never tell”

Everyone was giggling by now. Xander blushed as he realized Spike was pulling his leg. “Well, his bits are nothing special is all I’m sayin.’”

Spike got in the final word when he said, “Just ask Buffy.”

Buffy stepped up, “All right! That’s it. The food is ready on the table. Come get something to eat. There’s plenty of leftovers.”

With that, the tittering ended and they fixed plates and drinks before settling into a favorite spot to share their stories.

Giles spoke, “Just one more thing, Leah? You haven’t answered the question.”

“Thank you, Mr. Giles,” she said in a stiff sarcastic tone. She shouldn't have to defend herself. “It’s really very simple, children. The gnarvole introduced foreign secretions into Spike’s wound. It required special treatment to encourage healing without contamination.”

Carruthers couldn’t resist an opportunity to be part of the discussion. “Surely an old piece of wood from a park bench would cause contamination? There’s not much that could be dirtier.”

Leah smiled, “One would think that were true, sergeant, but dirt … in all its forms..." She noticed raised eyebrows as visuals appeared in thier minds eyes. Slyly, she said, " Yes ... all it's forms ... is quite natural to a vampire. They’re already dead, you see. They were buried and had begun the process of decay before they clawed themselves out of the grave A vampire can handle any sort of human bacteria or virus easily. Other demons, not so much.” It was her turn to look smug. “Now, aren’t you all embarrassed by your dirty little minds?”

With one voice, they said, “No.”

With the foolishness out of the way, they began the debriefing. One by one they outlined the evening’s events, asking questions and offering suggestions embellishing one another’s tales. Giles appointed himself recording secretary and final authority on the completed report. Inspector Arthur and Carruthers, by now comfortably known as David and Jack absorbed all the information and asked advice as to how to present it to their superiors.

Buffy laughed and said, “No worries David. We’ve been making bizarre tales palatable to the unknowing masses for so long, we’re experts at making the strangest happenings seem like business as usual. Apart from dealing with a few raised eyebrows and scratched heads, you should both come away clean.”

Arthur smiled weakly and said, “I certainly hope so … just in case, are there any openings in this Council of yours?”

Giles clicked Arthur’s glass and said, “I’m sure something could be arranged, Inspector. If absolutely necessary..”

Buffy never moved very far from Spike’s side, keeping his mug filled and petting him whenever he’d let her touch him. It was obvious to all that Spike was edgy and imaginations were brewing all sorts of scenarios ranging from the imminent death of Spike to his attacking them. Collectively, they accepted that Buffy was the only one he wanted near him and began gathering their things and bidding goodnight. MacGregor left first. Buffy thanked him again for having her back when she went after Binnemon and a sullen Spike said, “I owe you. It should’ve been me.”

Arthur and Carruthers invited MacGregor to join them for a pint at the pub.

Buffy collected blankets and pillows from the closet and began to set them out on the couch. “I’m afraid this is the best I can do, Dawn, on short notice. The extra blankets should keep you warm and I’ll check the fire through the night. OK?”

Xander, voice barely audible, said, “Actually, Dawn said she’d rather stay with me tonight.” All eyes went to Dawn. She stood next to Xander watching his face as he spoke. She said nothing; acknowledged no one.

Buffy stopped fussing and turned to her sister slowly, “Dawn?”

Xander snickered nervously and put his arm around Dawn’s shoulder, pulling her to him, “C’mon guys, it’s been one hell of a night. A makeshift bed on a couch in a room with no window isn’t likely to make a gal feel safe, huh? I’ve got the room and she won’t be alone.”

Spike answered, “And she won’t be alone here.”

Dawn avoided eye contact and remained silent. Shifting his feet, Xander said, “Yeah Spike, you may not realize it, but when you and Buffy are together you kinda make other people feel like they’re not there. Dawn doesn’t want to be alone. Can’t you get that?”

Buffy reached for Dawn who pulled away and turned into Xander’s shoulder effectively shutting her out. “Dawnie?” Buffy reached out again. Dawn’s response was to cling even tighter to Xander. Buffy looked around the room hoping to gain some input from anyone. Was she the only one confused here?

Spike said, “Buffy …?”

Giles broke in, “Um, yes ….”

Buffy raised her voice, firm and angry, “Yes, what?”

“This whole event has been a terrible shock and I suspect we’re being insensitive to how deeply Dawn has been effected by it,” Giles suggested. “Perhaps staying with Xander is the best thing for her tonight.”

“Giles! How can you say that?” Buffy pleaded.

“Buffy, Dawn is a grown woman. Like it or not, she is free to seek solace whenever and with whomever she wishes. This particular set of unusual circumstances including post-traumatic stress, cold, unsafe nighttime lodgings … not to mention having to settle for a couch …”

“All right … all right!” Buffy huffed. “I get it. I don’t like it, but I get it.” Buffy shifted and stood with her hand on her hip. “What I don’t get it why Dawn is …. Is shunning me.”

There were no comments, because everyone was in the same boat. No one understood.

Dawn slowly pushed away from Xander and turned to Buffy. Her eyes were red and swollen with puddles rising and rolling from her eyes and down her cheeks. She stepped forward, put her arms around Buffy, tighter than Buffy ever remembered, and said, “I love you, Buffy. I do.” She turned abruptly and said to Xander, “Let’s get out of here.” She pulled Xander’s hand and started for the door. Xander glanced around with an apology on his face and followed.

Giles stepped up, “Wait, wait, Xander. Oh, this is awkward … can you give us a lift? My car is in a ditch somewhere and we have no way home.”

“Um, sure. How far is Leah’s place? I may need to stop for gas.”

Leah answered, “No need, Giles and I have some things to discuss so you can just drop me at his place. I’m sure he can get one of the guards to drive me home later. That’s all right with you, isn’t it, Rupert?”

“Oh!” said Giles, raising his brows. “Yes, yes ... yes! Quite all right. We’ll be off then. Buffy, Spike, thanks for your hospitality. I just get our coats.”

And then, the Slayer and her vampire were alone, listening to their guests making their way to the car.

Spike raised his mug for a refill and Buffy took it and said, “Think I’ll join you.” She prepared a mug for Spike, poured a merlot for herself, stoked the fire and put on another log before settling on the arm of Spike’s chair. They sat, linked to one another as much as his wounds would allow watching the fire.

~~~

The GQ, Gentleman’s Quarters, housed the Watcher Wannabees. Each school had several young men training to be Watchers. It made sense to have them training with the young slayers and when Giles had the opportunity to create his perfect world, he made it so; far better to have the Watchers fully aware of the girls, their capabilities and their foibles. Victorian notions of propriety were placed back where they belonged, in the Nineteenth Century.

They had the top floor of a great stone edifice that was thought to be one of the original buildings on the property. The rooms were large and retrofitted with gas burners in the old iron fireplaces and electricity with discretely covered wiring running along the baseboards and crown molding. These modern day extras did little to dull the charm of stone walls, fine paneling and colorful tapestries. It was doubtful that any of the gentlemen would have chosen this nearly medieval décor, but since their lodgings were free, there were few complaints.

Xander’s rooms, or room, if put more accurately, was huge. It was a corner room, which was choice, giving him a view of the campus and the surrounding hills. In summer it was well ventilated, but in winter … now … it was a nightmare. The little gas fireplace kept the ceiling warm … and his feet, if he put them on the grill. But the thing that truly made the room a gem was that it had a walk in closet, with built in drawers and racks for hanging items. It was also outfitted with an old fashioned velvet sofa for a gentleman’s comfort while changing.

Upon moving in, the first thing Xander did was move the sofa into the large room and his bed into the closet making it a suite. When his first winter came, his next big project was to go out and buy a ceiling fan to bring some of that heat down. It was altogether a wonderful arrangement. The only drawback was that there were shared bathroom facilities. Since the watchers had staggered schedules, there was seldom a conflict … until tonight.

Xander unlocked his door and guided Dawn in. In fact, he’d led her every step since they left the cottage. She didn’t speak. It was if she were sleepwalking or something and it creeped him out! Xander was often accused of talking too much. His accusers would have a field day tonight. The longer she was silent, the more he rambled.

“There’s a bed in there, Dawnie. That’s for you. I have my recliner here. That’s where I’ll sleep. I sleep there a lot. Not by design,” he laughed nervously, “I just doze off when I should be studying.” More nervous laughter, “I guess you know how that goes, huh?”

No answer.

“Right. OK then, um … Oh! You’ll want to know where the bathroom is. Right! OK … come with me then.” They left the room and Xander knocked on the door across the hall.

“What are you doing? I don’t want to see anyone.” Dawn said.

“She speaks! I was starting to worry there, Dawn. I thought you went somewhere else!”

“I did,” she answered, deadpan.

Giggle. “Uh huh!” He took a minute to try to absorb that, decided not to try and went on. “Um, no, I just want to tell the other guys that there’s a lady on the floor.” He waited a moment. There was no answer. “Of course!” he said, nodding his head. “They’re still at the scene … probably getting the girls settled in new digs. That’s what I should be doing, I guess.” The moment it left his lips, he realized his mistake.

Dawn raised her eyes to his.

“And … I’m here getting you settled,” he bubbled! “And after all, it all started with …” Silence. “Shut up Xander, just shut up,” he said outloud and then took his own advice. He directed Dawn back to the facilities without another word.

“This is the bathroom, Dawn.” He knocked first. No answer. He opened the door. “There’s one seat and one shower. Just lock the door when you come in and you’ll be fine. I’ll post on note on the other guy's doors. OK?”

No answer. “Right.”

They walked back to Xander’s room. “Just let me get some things out of the closet and the bedroom is yours.” Dawn stood where he left her. Expressionless.

Xander came out with an armful of sweatshirts and flannels. He offered a set to Dawn. “They’ll be huge on you, but at least you can get out of your own things and rest comfortably.” Dawn took the clothes, went into the room and closed the door without another word.”

Xander took a deep breath and said, “Well, yes! Goodnight to you too.” He said to the closed door. He changed quickly, lest Dawn come back out. He wore layers, a scarf and a hat. He didn’t have any extra blankets and the room would be freezing by morning. He glanced at his watch, “… in three hours.” He pulled the wool cap over his ears and climbed into his recliner, closed his eyes and promptly went to sleep.

~~~

Giles lay in his bed staring at the ceiling, the sleeping, lightly snoring, naked form of Leah Graham wrapped around him. He had a cramp in his leg, a kink in his neck and he desperately had to pee, but he was terrified of moving and waking her. He cleared his throat, and Leah made an unintelligible sound, pulled him closer and slid her hand down below his navel. Oh God … Giles froze. A moment later, Leah’s breathing became even again and the gentle snore resumed. Giles relaxed.

Giles and I have some things to discuss. He searched his mind to find any words that had passed between them, let alone a discussion. Xander and Dawn dropped them off, bid farewell and sped down the driveway to Xander’s quarters. Giles remembered, I closed the door, turned around and was just about to offer Leah a glass of wine when suddenly she was all over me. With one hand she was pulling off my jacket and with the other undoing my pants. Not that it was unpleasant, but … I usually like a little foreplay …this reminded me of my Ripper days.

Leah stirred, “Rupert,” she muttered as she stroked his legs with her own. “I’m sorry, I seem to have dozed off.” Her fingers worked their magic over his flesh.

“Just give me a moment.” Giles slipped out of bed. He returned in a moment, opened his nightstand drawer, pulled out a foil packet .

Leah saw it and said, “Oh, give it to me! I know a special way to put it on.”

~~~~

Xander’s dreams were vivid, Technicolor jumbles of experiences and ideas dating all the way back to Sunnydale complete with Dolby soundtrack. Sometimes they were puzzles, sometimes instant replays, sometimes lessons and occasionally prophetic. Tonight, something new, smellovision? Snapshots with aromas that brought him right back to the moment. Pancakes … an ocean breeze … Coppertone … popcorn … fresh cut grass … coffee … a graveyard … rain … snow … wind … cold … Cold. God! I’m freezing

Instantly, he snapped to! Yeah, OK … Dawn’s here. He rubbed his eyes and tried to focus … An eerie light filtered into the room … green? What the …? Where’s it coming from? Xander sat up, ran his hand over his face and took a deep breath. I don’t smell anything now … Xander stood and listened. Out loud, he said, “Shit, what the fuck is going on?” He waved his hand in the air; it made the green light swirl. Frustrated and dismayed, he ran his hand through his hair, rubbed his face again, shook his head to rid himself of the cobwebs. When he looked again, it was gone.

~~~

X-posted: Spuffy-fics, Spike_fics, captured_kiss, The Spuffy Realm, The Fonts of Wisdom, The Crypt, Elysian Fields