Buffy kicked the punching bag with all her might. Picturing it as Spike made her work out more intense. Somehow, the thought of Spike had always made her want to hit something! Spike, a motivator for violence, why wasn’t that surprising?

She sighed as she gave up on her training and leaned her sweaty forehead against the bag. She had hoped that a little exercise would help her get her mind off him, and instead she only thought of him more! Xander thought Spike was stalking her, and she had become even more obsessed with him. She wasn’t physically following him around, but her thoughts were always with him. She couldn’t go on like this! She was putting everyone in danger when she didn’t concentrate on protecting them from Glory!

“Damn you, Spike,” she growled at the empty room as her fist slammed into the punching bad one last time nearly pulling it lose from the cable connecting it to the ceiling.

“Love you too, pet.” The sound of a voice behind her made her whip around to face the door at the back of the training room, which led out to the alley. It was slightly ajar, and there was Spike standing right next to it. How long had he been there? He had just proven her point! So engrossed with thoughts of him, she hadn’t even heard the door open. He was even smoking one of his foul smelling cigarettes, and she hadn’t even been aware of the odor in the room! What if it had been Glory or one of her minions instead of Spike? She would have been done for!

“What are you doing here?” she demanded angrily.

“Just a little visit, sweet,” he answered flicking his cigarette out the door, and then crossed the distance between them. Why did he have to be so close when they spoke? “I see you’ve been thinking of me. All happy thoughts, I hope?”

She clenched her fingers into fists at her sides at the sight of his smug smile. “Sorry, not a one.”

“Ah, but you have been thinking of me. That’s a step in the right direction,” he informed her. “Perhaps, we could make some happy thoughts for you.”

With that he took her into his arms, and once again, Buffy could feel the butterflies returning. Was it really asking him to keep his hands to himself? She needed to tell him to back off. That was nearly impossible when he pressed his lips to hers, his hand lightly cupping her breast. His hand was where? She really was slipping. She was so busy enjoying the feel of his lips; she hadn’t even noticed his hand grazing up her rib cage until his fingers were already pressed against the flesh covered by the sports bra she had been wearing for her work out. She was berating herself mentally, but for some reason she had yet to tell him to get his hands off her.

Instead of pushing him away, her traitorous hands were doing some exploring of their own. Her right had settled at the base of his neck urging his lips closer to hers, while her left slid down the smooth leather of his duster to clench…Oh God, did she really have her hand on his…She refused to think about it. Her mind was already heading for a complete shut down, and thoughts of what she felt under the soft leather he wore would definitely put her over the edge!

A sigh escaped her lips, as his left hers to travel lightly down her cheek to the base of her neck. She tilted her head back to allow him full access, but at the feel of his teeth lightly nipping at her collarbone, her eyes snapped open. What was she doing? What was she letting him do?!

“Stop.” She felt the anger rising at the softness of her voice. This was not the time to be meek and mild! She was the Slayer, and neither word was a fitting description. “Spike, stop,” she repeated this time more firmly.

“What?” he looked down at her, his gaze still hazy, but quickly clearing up at her unfortunate return to reality. “What’s wrong, pet? Don’t tell me you don’t want to. Even a blind man could see that you do.”

“It’s not that, Spike,” she told him, having to make an effort to pull herself from his arms. “It’s not a matter of what I want. It’s that I can’t.”

“So you’re saying you do want me?” he asked hopefully.

“You’re not making this any easier.” She refused to give him an answer.

“I love you, and I know that you feel something, but yet you refuse to admit it! Why should I make this easy for you?”

She could hear the anger rising in his voice. This couldn’t end up in another fight. She had to put an end to it once and for all. Not argue with him, and yet again give him some sense of false hope that they would ever be together!

“Please, Spike,” she couldn’t believe she was pleading with him. “I don’t hate you, can’t that be enough?”

“No, Slayer, it bloody can’t be enough!” he growled.

“I can’t do this now,” she told him. “You know I can’t. I need to protect Dawn, take care of my mother, and I can deal with you and concentrate on them at the same time.”

“You love me, Slayer,” he said what she was trying so hard not to. “You don’t deal with that! It just happens.”

“And if I’m so wound up with you, that I let my guard down and Dawn gets hurt?”

“You know I would never let that happen, pet,” he grazed her cheekbone with his fingertips. “I care about the niblet too.”

“I know you do,” she told him softly, “but can’t you see I can’t take that chance?”

“What happened to Buffy Summers, I knew? The one who didn’t shy away from a challenge?”

“This is my family Spike, I can’t go off all out of control when their safety is being threatened.” Why couldn’t he understand? She hadn’t wanted to admit it, but she did feel something for him, but with the way things were now, she couldn’t afford to act on her feelings. She had to keep her mind focused at all times.

“All, I see Summers, is that you’re being extremely unfair—to both of us,” he told her softly. “I’ll be there when you’re ready, but I’m not going to stay here and beg.”

With that, he turned to the door and was gone before she could utter another word. She had finally managed to get her point across, and, although in a rather roundabout method, she had even admitted that she did care about him. So why did she suddenly feel so miserable?

Spike paced his crypt restlessly. He had been so close! What went wrong? She wanted him just as much as he wanted her that much had been blatantly obvious! If it hadn’t been for this Glory bitch, she would have said the words he so wanted to hear, he was sure of it! He couldn’t fault her for wanting to protect her sister. He had become rather fond of the little bint himself, but it wasn’t fair to either of them that she was cutting herself off from the rest of the world!

“Spike?” a soft voice brought a halt to his pacing.

“Buffy?” he spun to face the door, his face hopeful. “Niblet, what are you doing here?”

Dawn shifted her weight from foot to foot nervously. If Buffy knew she was visiting Spike’s crypt again, big sis would have her head, but what Buffy didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her! Buffy had stormed into the house when she returned from training at the Magick Shop. It was impossible to miss the fact that she was extremely upset. She had ignored their mom when she had asked her daughter what was wrong. Instead, she had stomped up the stairs to her room and slammed the door behind her.

Her sister had had another run in with Spike, Dawn was sure of it. She had waited until she was sure that her mother had gone to bed and left the house, and then headed off to see Spike. She knew it was a bad idea to roam around Sunnydale on her own, you never knew where Glory’s minions might be lurking, but she wasn’t going to get any answers from Buffy. At least, Spike didn’t treat her like a baby and would give her a straight answer.

“What happened, Spike?” she asked ignoring his question. She really didn’t want to listen to a lecture about going out alone and putting herself in danger.

“What do you mean? Nothing happened.” Spike eyed Dawn suspiciously. Buffy really was going to stake him when she found out about baby sis’s little midnight stroll. Just what he needed, yet another reason for the Slayer to despise him.

“Buffy was completely wigged out when she got home,” Dawn informed him. “She didn’t even bother to patrol. Only one thing gets to her that badly, and that’s you.”

So he’d managed to upset the Slayer. Fat load of good that did him. He’d had his fill of having her angry with him. What he wanted was a totally different emotion. One he was never going to see. “As I already told you, nothing happened.” Well, a little more than nothing had happened, but he was sure Joyce wouldn’t appreciate him telling her fifteen-year-old daughter the more intimate details of their encounter in the training room. “Same old story, Niblet, I love her, Slayer runs away.”

“And you didn’t run after her?”

Spike’s lips curled into a sad smile at that comment. How many times had he tried in the last week alone, only to be shot down? Whoever said persistence pays off was wrong in this case! “I think that this runner is out of the race.”

“Spike, she loves you,” Dawn objected. “You can’t just give up! She’s just scared to admit it!”

“I know,” Spike agreed. “She all but admitted that tonight, but she has her reasons, and I may not like the end result, but they are good reasons.”

What possible reason could Buffy have left? They had already shot the whole vampire and a soul thing out of the water. Joyce liked him, the Scoobies liked him—well, maybe not Xander so much—even Giles, while not wild about the idea, had grudgingly approved! What possible excuse could she have left? Dawn’s eyes widened as the realization hit her. Buffy’s reason was her! She’d managed to come up with the perfect excuse. Spike would never stand in Buffy’s way when protecting the Key. Well, Spike might be willing to roll over and play dead, but she was going to have a word or two with her sister when she got home! She didn’t kick Riley out on his ear when she found out her sister was this big mystical Key thingy, and now she was trying to convince Spike she couldn’t get involved with someone because of her duty to protect her sister. Well, if Buffy wanted to hurt Spike, she could leave her out of it!

“Come on, Spike, you can’t just throw in the towel because Buffy is being an idiot!” she insisted.

“She’s not being an idiot,” Spike shook his head sadly. “You and your mom are the most important people in her life. She doesn’t need a monster like me around to worry about.”

“You’re not a monster…”

“Oh, but he is,” a voice so soft it was like it floated through the air interrupted Dawn. “A beautifully, evil monster, aren’t you, my dearest William?”

Spike could only stare over Dawn’s shoulder at the figure standing just inside the door. It just couldn’t be, not after all this time. He had to be having a vision, and yet he knew that he wasn’t. “Dru?” he asked when he finally managed to find his voice.

“Yes, it’s me,” came the response as a set of hands came down on Dawn’s shoulders. The slender fingers clenched so tight, she felt like a tiny animal clenched in the talons of a bird of prey.

“What are you doing back in Sunnydale?” Spike asked calmly, but Dawn could see a look of fear in his eyes when Drusilla came to a stop behind her.

“Had a little run in with daddy,” Dru answered. “Well, it wasn’t daddy, but it wasn’t that hateful Angel either.”

“So you decided that Spike would be willing to take care of you?”

“It hurt so badly,” Dru whined like a child. “I only wanted to see my darling Spike again.” Dru lowered her eyes to study Dawn and lightly ran her fingers over the girl’s hair. “And who is this little morsel?”

“No one important,” Spike said hoping to draw his sire’s attention away from the Slayer’s sister long enough for her to escape.

“Not important,” Dru repeated still stroking Dawn’s chestnut hair. “Why she’s positively glowing. Twinkling like a little star fallen from the heavens just for me. I am so terribly hungry, Spike.”

Dawn trembled at Drusilla’s words. She didn’t know which scared her more. The fact that Dru could see the Key, or that she wanted to make her into a midnight snack! Okay, the latter was a tad bit more important, but when being held in the clutches of an insane killer, you don’t tend to think straight!

“But if you eat her, she will no longer sparkle, and all the stars in heaven will cry,” Spike told her. It had been so long since he had to deal with her insanity, he hoped he could convince her to let Dawn go. “Perhaps we could find a lovely little meal at the Bronze.”

Dru looked down at Dawn sadly not wanting to let go of her little star. “You’re right,” she replied finally releasing the girl and walking to Spike’s waiting arms. “So many tears would extinguish all the heavens, but my little star must come back for tea and meet Miss Edith. She’s never seen a star up close.”

“Yeah, sure,” Dawn muttered breathlessly, backing towards the door.

“I’m sure she will, luv,” Spike told her, “but right now, she really needs to go home.”

Dawn sprinted up the stairs of the porch, running into the closed front door as she looked over her shoulder. She knew Spike was keeping Drusilla occupied, but she was thoroughly convinced the vampire was lurking in the shadows behind her waiting to pounce at any moment. She didn’t know a lot about Spike’s ex other than what she had managed to overhear. Buffy had managed to keep her little sister fairly well shielded from her work when Drusilla had been a resident of Sunnydale. All Dawn really knew was that she was a vampire, and she was insane, which made her dangerous enough.

It was bad enough she had returned to Sunnydale. It was definitely going to put a kink in her plan to get Buffy and Spike together, but that by far was the least of her worries now. Somehow, Dru had been able to see that she was the Key. Apparently, in her warped consciousness she imagined Dawn to be one of her beloved stars rather than a device geared to bring about the end of the universe, but that didn’t mean she was safe. What if by some twist of fate, Glory and Dru happened to run into each other? All it would take would be for Dru to start babbling on about her little star fallen to Earth, and it wouldn’t take Glory more than a few seconds to fit the pieces together!

“Buffy!” she screamed out when her trembling fingers managed to get the door open. She ran headlong up the stairs hoping that Spike had upset her sister enough that she was still in her bedroom sulking.

The door to Buffy’s room swung open only seconds after Dawn called out. She didn’t think about why her sister might have her jacket on or why the front door was wide open, meaning her little sister had been out wandering the streets alone again. All she heard was the terror in Dawn’s voice as she ran up the stairs towards her. Buffy’s eyes scanned what she could see of the house and what she could see outside the door, expecting Glory to burst in at any moment.

“Dawn, what’s wrong?” Buffy asked still looking about for Glory when Dawn came to a stop in front of her.

Dawn’s cheeks were flushed from her run and it took her a moment to catch her breath before she could speak. “She’s back…” she finally managed to gasp out.

Buffy looked at Dawn in confusion. With the way Dawn had screamed she had expected Glory to burst in just behind her, and yet that never happened. Now someone had come back? Who was she talking about, and just what did she think she was doing going out in the middle of the night by herself anyway!? She was going to ask her just that when Dawn continued her story.

“I went over to Spike’s…”

“You were where?” Buffy demanded. The vampire’s name momentarily making Buffy forget the importance of finding out just who was back in Sunnydale. “I told you to stay away from there, Dawn! What were you thinking! Sneaking out in the middle of the night to hang out with a vampire!”

“Buffy, that’s not important right now!” Dawn interrupted. “Drusilla is back!”

“Dru?” Buffy rolled her eyes. Just what she needed an insane vampire causing her trouble while she was trying to deal with an insane Glory. Although, having Dru around might do her a favor. Surely, with her back in town, Spike would forget having any interest in her, and she wouldn’t have to worry about him showing up where she least expected it! That should have made her happy, but for some reason it didn’t. “Dawn, Drusilla’s dangerous, but I think she’s the least of our worries right now. I want you to stay away from…”

“Buffy, she knows,” Dawn stated simply.

“Knows what?” she asked confused, but part of her already knew the answer to that question and prayed that Dawn would tell her anything but that.

“She knows I’m the Key,” Dawn confirmed Buffy’s suspicions. “I don’t know what happened. She was talking to Spike, and then she turned to me and got this funny look in her eye. She told me I was all shiny, and that I was a star fallen to Earth.”

Dru and her stars, the thought made Buffy roll her eyes. At least, they had a little time. She couldn’t see Spike giving away Dawn’s secret. Well, she hoped he wouldn’t. Drusilla was his first love, one that lasted for over a hundred years. Spike probably wouldn’t need too much urging to answer her questions and make her happy. At least, the fact that she thought the Key was one of her beloved stars would buy her some time. She was going to go over there and stake them both once in for all. Spike was going to be included in this one. She should have just taken care of it when she had had the chance. Sure, he had tried to help protect Dawn, but after the events of the last few days, Buffy wasn’t even sure if he hadn’t done that simply to impress her, and now it really didn’t make a difference. He might have a chip in his head that kept him from hurting people, but that didn’t mean he still couldn’t put them in danger.

“Buffy, where are you going?” Dawn asked when her sister didn’t respond to her last statement, and instead walked past her down the stairs and headed for the door.

“To kill a couple of vampires,” Buffy replied not bothering to look over her shoulder.

“Buffy, you can’t kill Spike!” Dawn cried.

“He put you in danger,” Buffy hesitated at the door.

“He didn’t do anything to me,” Dawn argued. “He got Dru to leave me alone, so I could get out of the crypt.”

Buffy looked over her shoulder at Dawn. There was a determined look on her face, but it didn’t cover up the look of sadness in her eyes. “I’m sorry Dawn. If it weren’t for him, you wouldn’t have been in danger in the first place. This isn’t going to take long,” she added slipping her jacket over her shoulders and checking to make sure Mr. Pointy was in her pocket. “Whatever you do, stay put for the rest of the night!”

With that, Dawn watched Buffy turn and walk out the door. She couldn’t believe that Buffy would really kill Spike. It wasn’t his fault that Dru had decided to show up in Sunnydale, and it wasn’t his fault that she had decided to sneak out of the house that night and visit his crypt at the same time Dru had decided to pay him a visit. Surely, Buffy could see that it wasn’t his fault! Dawn remembered the look on her sister’s face when she had left. Ignoring the last order Buffy had given her, Dawn quickly made her way down the stairs and followed in the direction that the Slayer had taken. She didn’t know what she could do to stop Buffy, but there was no way she could let her kill Spike! She’d definitely regret it in the morning!

Buffy stalked up to Spike’s crypt, but then stopped just before flinging the door open with all the force she could muster. She stood in the chilly air looking thoughtfully at the entrance to his lair. Could she do it? Only a few hours before she had been in his arms wanting more. She couldn’t deny it. There was something there, something she could simply not acknowledge. She was the Slayer, and she had already made the mistake of giving her heart to one vampire, and look where that had gotten her. She had to do it for Dawn’s sake. Spike was the only other person who stood a chance against Glory, but he had also put Dawn in danger. She couldn’t concentrate on defeating Glory, if she was constantly worried that Dawn might be with Spike facing whatever danger might follow him. She was sure that he would do his best to protect her, but what if his best wasn’t good enough. She had to do it for Dawn’s sake.

The decision made, Buffy flung the door open with all her might. The interior of the crypt was dark as usual, and it took her a moment to make out Spike’s form standing next to the stone tomb that he used for a bed. He didn’t make a move as the door swung open, almost as if he had been expecting her little visit, and why shouldn’t he be expecting her? He had just allowed Drusilla to threaten her little sister. It was a given that she would be the next arrival at his crypt.

“Where is she, Spike?” she demanded from the doorway.

“You shouldn’t be here, Slayer,” Spike replied. He still hadn’t moved. He had to know why she was there, and knew better to get closer to her. She wouldn’t hesitate to sink her stake deep into that unbeating heart of his—not this time.

“Why not, Spike? Am I interrupting something?” Buffy asked as sweetly as she could muster considering how much the words hurt. She couldn’t lose her resolve, but the possibility that she really was interrupting something hurt just as much if not more than when Angel had said he was leaving. She’d run off her fair share of men, but she’d never had them run off on their own for another woman! The fact that the other woman was an insane vampire like Drusilla made the cut even deeper!

“Really, Buffy,” Spike pleaded, “you shouldn’t be here. Couldn’t we discuss this tomorrow?”

Buffy rolled her eyes in frustration. He might not be a man, but he was typical. Drusilla had to be in there somewhere, and he didn’t want Buffy to cause a scene! He’d just have his fun with Dru this evening, and then tell her that it was all some big mistake! Well, it wasn’t going to be that way this time! He’d managed to break her heart—wait, no—he’d put Dawn in danger, and this time he was going to pay for it!

“No, Spike, we can’t discuss anything tomorrow. I know Drusilla’s back, and she knows about Dawn,” Buffy all but screamed back at him. Why was she explaining this all to him? He knew exactly why she was there! She was just wasting time standing there telling him the story of what happened when he had been there to witness everything first hand! Knowing he was only trying to stall her, she stepped into the crypt. He wasn’t just going to hand Drusilla over. So she’d just have to find her on her own!

No sooner had Buffy crossed the threshold of the crypt she felt a sharp pain shoot through her neck and through her body. She started to collapse, the floor rushing up to meet her. Her hand lost its grip on Mr. Pointy and it roiled away into the darkness of the crypt. She felt a tight grip wrap around her middle just before she was able to make impact with the stone floor. She could feel the darkness of unconsciousness converging on her brain and fought against it. Slowly, like a drunk on an all out bender, her head lolled back on her shoulders, and she could see it was Drusilla who held her up, one arm wrapped about the Slayer’s waist, and the other held the stun gun that had caused pain Buffy had felt shooting through her body.

Dru’s eye’s glimmered with success. How could she have been so stupid? Hadn’t she thought that Spike was trying to get rid of her to protect Drusilla, so she walked right into the trap! Buffy tried to struggle against the vampire’s steel like grasp, but found that her muscles weren’t responding.

“Look, my William,” Dru said in her sing-songy voice, “I’ve caught myself a Slayer! Now what ever shall we do with her?”

Buffy waited for the words that would damn her. She prayed that Spike would do something to save her, at least for Dawn’s sake, but she knew that he wouldn’t. This was his Dru, he wouldn’t do anything to displease her! Buffy waited for the damning words that would lead to the piercing pain of her throat being torn to bits, but for some reason they never came. Buffy had read that when you were about to die things seemed to move in slow motion. Surely, that was what was happening now! Spike had already told Drusilla to kill her. It was just taking forever to register in her mind!

“Let her go, Dru,” Spike said careful as if he were afraid that any sudden phrase or movement might unleash the beast that was hidden just below the surface.

“Let her go?” Dru repeated her tone filled with disbelief and disappointment. “It’s that chip. It’s all in your head, my darling. Do it! Do it now, and your curse will be over!”

Buffy felt her body being flung across the crypt. She almost felt thankful to land in Spike’s arms, but knew that it was hopeless. It didn’t matter who held her prone body. She was going to die. Spike had always wanted the chip out or at least a way to deactivate it, and now apparently, somehow Drusilla had given him a way to do just that.

Buffy looked up at Spike’s face as she fell into his arms. What was it that she saw in his face as he gazed down at her? Defeat? Sorrow? No, she was seeing victory. She was about to become a legend for future Slayers—never love your enemy…It had finally come. His one good day!

“No!” Buffy heard the scream as if it came from miles away. Someone else had entered the crypt. From her prone position in Spike’s arms she couldn’t see who the new arrival was, but she knew it was Dawn before she was able to roll her head over Spike’s arm to observe her sister rushing through the door only to be caught up in Drusilla’s arms as she set foot into the crypt.

“Oh, look, Spike,” Drusilla laughed as Dawn struggled against her embrace, “my star has returned to me.”

“Spike, please,” Buffy begged her voice coming out no more than a whisper.

Spike looked down at the Slayer in his arms. His look almost sorrowful as he dropped her to the dusty stone floor and took a step towards Drusilla. Buffy forced herself to roll over with what little strength she had left. That effort drained her beyond belief, but she had to protect Dawn somehow!

“Now, Dru,” Spike began as he slowly advanced on the two. Buffy thought she could see something in his hand hidden just behind the leather duster, but she couldn’t make out what it might be. “We have the Slayer. Your star can wait.”

Dru looked at Spike as if considering. Buffy didn’t know what Spike was up to. His words seemed to confuse Dru, but it still inferred the demise of the Slayer. She didn’t want to die, but if it meant that it would somehow ensure Dawn’s safety… Then again, it didn’t really mean that they wouldn’t kill Dawn after they finished with her. Buffy fought to rise from her position on the floor. She could feel her strength slowly returning to her, but there was no way she would be strong enough to stop Drusilla before she sunk her fangs into Dawn’s neck, especially with Spike standing between them to block her way.

“Come, Dru,” Spike crooned sweetly. “She’s my gift to you.”

Dru’s eyes flickered to the Slayer’s body considering. She had tasted a Slayer’s blood once. How wonderful it had tasted as she had slurped it from her Childe’s finger. How Spike must love her to offer her such a prize! She looked down at Dawn’s face sweetly. “This will only take a moment,” she told the child as she cast her aside and slowly made her way past Spike slowly as if relishing every step. Spike watched her progress, not daring to move as Dru passed him.

Slowly Dru leaned over Buffy as the Slayer managed to struggle into a sitting position her hands sluggishly raising as if she would be able to push the vampire away. Buffy closed her eyes. She couldn’t believe this was going to be the way it ended, at the hands of Dru of all vampires! Of all the vampires that could have destroyed her, there was such an irony that it would be this, utterly insane vampire that would bring about her end!

Buffy readied herself for the piercing pain of Drusilla’s fangs as Dru’s face faded away leaving only that but the image of the demon within her. Buffy cringed with her eyes shut, but the pain never came. Instead a piercing scream assaulted her ears. As the scream faded away, Buffy dared to open her eyes and looked towards the spot where Drusilla had been looming above her. Instead of seeing the demon’s face only inches away from hers, she could see Spike smiling down at her, Mr. Pointy in hand, and a pile of dust at his feet.

“What?” Buffy asked tentively her mind having a hard time processing what had just happened.

“It’s over, Buffy,” Spike said softly reaching down to take Buffy’s hand and helping her to her still wobbly feet. Buffy looked about the room for Drusilla, and slowly realized that the pile of dust was all that remained.

“Spike, I…” she started. What could she say? She had come there to kill him, and instead he had saved her life.

Spike looked down at her as he continued to support most of her weight. “You need to rest…”

“I’m so sorry, Spike,” she said the first thing that came to mind, and she had to admit that it sounded incredibly stupid. She was sorry that he had killed Drusilla and kept her from killing her? Yeah, she was really sorry about that one!

“Don’t talk,” Spike insisted lifting her into his arms and placing her on the stone slab of the tomb.

“No,” she fought for the right words. “I know you loved her. I know what it’s like to kill the one you love…”

Spike looked down at her his eyes compassionate and filled with love for her as he gently smoothed a blond strand of hair from her forehead. “I didn’t kill the one I loved,” he told her softly. “I saved her.”







The End