Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm thinking an epilogue after this.
“You must be angry with me at least a little,” Dru said later after the dust had settled somewhat. Darla was in a guest room and Edina was in her chambers, William was making dinner and Tara was helping.

Buffy and Dru were currently in the formal room, sitting across from each other with a fire crackling in the fireplace. Buffy sat in the plush green velvet ‘claw chair’, as she so aptly called it, settled back against an ice pack on her tail bone, and she had already taken the painkiller the doctor had given her from before. Dru was sitting in the chaise lounge, her long legs stretched out.

Buffy sighed, “I was angry when I heard what you told William. I was mostly angry because I thought that was the only reason he was with me. And, I thought that you were doing nothing but meddling –“

“Oh, I was,” Dru interjected, “But I had your best intentions at heart.”

“I know. I think I was mostly scared because what you saw, I could see myself doing. It frightened me.”

“I know, that’s why it frightened me too. You tried to keep your sadness under wraps, Buffy, but I could feel it. I knew it was there.”

Buffy shook her head, “I fucking hate them, Dru. I really do.”

“I assume you’re speaking of our parents?”

“Of course, who else?”

“I tried so hard to get out of that environment, Buffy. I think they saw you as a hunk of clay to mold. They’d failed with me, so they figured they had you.”

“Yeah, they had me all right,” Buffy muttered.

“You will fight them, Buffy. If what you tell me is true and you plan to seek help, you will beat them back. Just saying you’ll go, saying you want to go, is the first step.”

Buffy smirked, “Admittance is the first step, huh?”

“Hey, there’s a reason that saying came about.”

“I know.”

“And I’ve always seen what was inside you, Buffy. I’ve always known under that tough exterior was this passionate, full of love individual just itching to get out. You were made to love and be loved.”

Tears seeped from Buffy’s eyes and she brushed them back, smiling faintly at her sister. “That’s what William tells me.”

Dru smiled. “Why do you think I set you up with him? If anyone could bring it out in you, it was the Prince that was asleep himself.”

“I was so devastated when I heard… and mother was so cold…” Buffy said, freely crying now.

“Did you expect anything less from that cold-hearted bitch? I might haunt her and father, just once. Scare the literal crap out of them for fun.”

Buffy giggled through her tears. “I think that sounds like a great idea. You’ll have to be sure to come back and tell me how it went.”

“Of course!”

“Dru,” Buffy said, frowning, “You’re fading.”

“I know. Loss of energy. I had a lot on reserve and now I’ve gone and used it all up. I’ll be back, my sweet. Not to worry.”

“Do you promise?”

“I promise, Buffy. I love you.”

Buffy sat there, crying softly, feeling as if she were mourning her sister all over again. It was strange – she was there, and yet not. Being able to see her now helped, yet made her mourn the fact that she and Dru couldn’t do simple things, like go out into town and shop.

“Buffy? Dru?” William’s voice, followed by a knock, sounded through the door.

“Come in Will,” Buffy said, wiping her tears away. Turning in the chair, she found William slowly opening the door, his head sticking inside.

“Where’d she go?”

A sob settled in her throat and Buffy jumped up, running to him. Entering the room fully, William opened his arms to her and Buffy threw herself into them, holding onto him for dear life.

“What is it baby?” he murmured.

“I’m just…I’m happy and sad. Does that make sense? I’m happy to see her, and yet I’m sad because I…I wish I had come out here more. I wish I could have had more time with her alive, I wish I could hug her.”

“I know, luv, I know.”

Looking up at him, she stared at him intently. “Thank you.”

“For what, kitten?”

“For being here. For being you. For not giving up on me.”

Pressing his forehead against hers, William vowed, “I will always be here and I will never give up on you.”

“I promise the same, William. I do, I really do promise the same. Do you believe me?”

“Yes, luv, I believe you.”

“I love you, William. You know that, right?”

“I do. And I love you right back.”

“Love you more,” she whispered.

He grinned, “I don’t think it’s possible you love me more than I love you. The God’s themselves would tremble with the ferocity of my love.”

She tugged at him, bringing her closer to him, and kissed him frantically. “No, William, you don’t even know…you saved my life.”

Cupping her face in his hands, William said, “You saved mine too, Buffy.”

“Call it even, then?”

“Yeah, luv, we’ll call it even.”

********


Later that night, Edina and Darla were still out, and Tara assured them they would be for the night, if not well into the day tomorrow, Buffy and William sat outside on the lawn, just talking and gazing up at the stars while Tara took herself to bed.

“So, now what, pet?”

“Now what, what?”

“The plan?”

“The plan is to fire Edina first…”

“And then?”

“Then see about finishing those rooms.”

“Still going with the Bed and Breakfast?”

“Most definitely. I ran it by Dru and she really liked the idea.”

“And you feel more comfortable with your ghosts now.”

“Oh, much, yes. I just don’t see me doing the Dru thing, you know? I’m not ever going to be the type to take on a bunch of ghosts. I just want mine.”

“I’m just happy that you’ve accepted them.”

“Well, it takes me a while to come around, but eventually I do. What about you?”

”What about me, what?”

“Plans?”

“Oh, I imagine, I’ll continue on the way I have, only this time with you by my side.”

“Will you help me with the Bed and Breakfast?”

“You know I will.”

“You mentioned before about knowing the ins and outs of business.”

“Buffy?”

“Hmmm?”

“Can we not talk shop anymore?”

“Sure.”

“How’s the back?”

“It’s okay.”

Sidling up closer to her, he leaned over and nuzzled her neck. “Want to make love outside under the stars?”

“Didn’t we do that once?”

”Yeah, but not here…”

“You have a point,” she murmured, and sighed happily when his hand inched up her shirt. “Not to mention a very convincing argument.”