They opened the doors to the arena at exactly 7 pm. Buffy and her dad, Hank got in line. Considering the way the crowd had gathered so quickly, the two were able to find their way to their seat in no time at all. Buffy was surprised to find that the seat he got for them were really good ones. Not only that they were basically in the front row, to her delight she discovered that they were practically seating near the corner of the arena where the skaters would enter and exit the ice. She could already feel the excitement building as she thought of watching her favorite skaters up close.


“This is great, dad. .” She told her dad delightedly.


“Honey, I know how much you love Dorothy Hamil. This way, you could get a real close shot of her when you use your camera.”


"Love it! " she turned to him. "I can't believe I'm about to watch Dorothy skate in person! Thank you."


“I just want you to be happy. "


" Believe me I am!"


"But-"


"Dad! Come on. Will stop being worried already. I'm HAVING a great time. "


"I know sweetie, it's just that -"He turned serious."This is nothing compared to what I…” Hank struggled with his last words.


Buffy squeezed his hand to assure him.


“You deserve more.” Hank managed to add, though his voice were thick with emotion.



Buffy felt a mixture of pain and sympathy as she recalled the time her daddy left them . She was only 12.



Buffy came home one night from school to find her mom in tears. At that time, she had no clue about her father's misdeeds. Her mom tried to hide the fact that her dad had been cheating on her for the last two years. And Joyce hated it even more that she had to find the truth from a common friend. Initially, Hank had tried to deny those accusations, but on that day with just a few weeks before her mom and dad’s 14th wedding anniversary, Hank had finally decided to pack-up his bags and move to LA with his lover.



Buffy had sworn to herself at that moment that hell would freeze over first before she would ever let her dad come near them again. Although the course of her mom and dad's divorce had been short and easy, the healing process they've endured had been nothing but painful and excruciating.



For 8 long years, Hank had practically disappeared from Buffy and Joyce’s life. Even if he didn’t deny them the financial support that they badly needed at that time, one could easily count the number of times that he had tried to get in touch with them. It took some time before Buffy finally realized her dad is never going to come back. Hank had moved on with his life and so should they.



She tried to forget him, made herself believe that her dad was already dead to herself and her mom. It was the only way they could move on. And moved on they did. Once they’ve learned to accept the reality that from then on, it will just be the two of them, things had started to become more bearable for them.



Finally, happiness slowly began work its way into their lives once again. And just when life was beginning to get easier on them, Hank chose the time to show-up at Spike’s home. Incidentally, Giles and Hank had spent the whole afternoon to themselves, catching-up with what's going on with their lives. And that’s when she found out that Hank been living alone in LA for the last few years. The secretary that he had ran off with had decided to leave him for a much younger guy.



The last 5 years had been somewhat tough on him since he'd chosen to remain alone in his small dingy apartment in LA as a way of punishing himself from the wrong things he'd done. He wanted his family’s forgiveness but he just couldn’t bring himself to face them. How could he? When in his heart he knew he doesn't deserve to be forgiven.


Buffy recalled the way her father pleaded for her forgiveness. Their reunion opened up so many heartaches that she already thought were long gone. At first, she couldn’t even bring herself to look at him let alone forgive him. However, so much like the large expanse of ice that lies before her, the wall she’d built around her heart for so many years had began to melt. With the help of Spike and his father Giles, father and daughter were finally able to reconcile. Little by little, Buffy was able to welcome back her father into her life.



“ I know daddy. “ She told him sympathetically “ I’m glad you came back.”



“So glad to hear that.”



After the show ended, Hank took her took a fine dinning restaurant in a nearby town. They ate while Buffy filled her dad in with what's happening in her life, her friends and finally her engangement to Riley.


"I know that it's not any of my business," Hank started." But are you sure about Riley?"


"Dad!" She whined. "What's wrong with Riley? You've met him. He's a nice guy, right?"


"He's nice and I know he's rich but I'm just concerned, honey. I just don't think he's the right guy for you."


"Oh my God! Have you been talking to Spike? Did he put you up with this?"


"No Buffy he didn't. But I'm glad that you mentioned him." He told her tentatively. "Spike...he's a good guy."


"Yes he is. But I wonder what that has anything to do with my engagement to Riley."


"Spike will be good for you sweetie. I think he's the guy that would make you really happy."


"Spike? Dad, first of all, Spike and I are just friends and second, I am happy with Riley. "


"But that's how your mom and I started. We were best of friends before-"


"I know but, I'm engaged to Riley and he's...he's inlove with somebody else."


"I see....Are you sure about that?"


"Yes I'm sure! Ughhh" She groaned. "Even if I'm not engaged and he's not..... We're just friends."


Hank had wanted to argue but somehow he didn't saw the need to explain anything when he knew her well enough to know that she's hiding something . For now, he's just going to let it all slide and let her figure it out for herself. Yup, that's what he's going do. Sit back let fate take its course....for now.


Half an hour later, he drove her back to her dorm .


“You know, there were times when I would stand just outside the house and imagined myself coming in to ask for her forgiveness " He told her with a pang of regret in his voice. "But then I would just end up turning on my heels and leave. Not only that your dad is a jerk, Buffy. But also a coward.”


“You don’t have to scared of anything, dad. I’m sure mom will forgive you.”


“How could she forgive me, Buffy. If I were her, I'm sure as hell I wouldn't forgive myself. “



“What do you plan to do dad? Wait till you’re both old and gray till you have the guts to do what is right? If you truly love mom, you won’t wait. You will take the chance no matter what harsh words she might throw at you. The important thing is that you took the chance.”



**********************************************************


Jenny Calendar stopped whatever she was doing at the kitchen and ran up the staircase the minute she heard William crying in his room.


“What’s the matter sweetie? Had a bad dream again?”


“Yes mummy.”


“Oh honey!” Jenny pulled her 8 year old son close to her and whispered words of comfort into his ear. “Would you like to tell mummy what you dreamed about?”


“I dreamt that you left us, mummy.” he told her between sobs.


“It’s only a dream, dear. You know that can never happen.” Jenny assured him.


“But the kids at school, some of them only live with just their Mummy or their Daddy.” William insisted.


“Is this because you heard your Dad and I arguing a while ago?”


William nodded.


“We were just talking sweetie. There’s nothing to be worried about..”


“ I don’t want you to leave me mommy and I don’t want daddy to leave me either. “


“Oh William, I will never leave you no matter what,” She kissed him in the forehead. ” I promise that loving you will always comes first.”



“BRRRRNGGGG!”

Spike awoke with a gasp as the sound of his alarm clock pierced the predawn darkness. Feeling a little disoriented, he sat up and looked around his bedroom until it dawned on him that he’s having one of those dreams about his past. Like he'd always done in the past, he quickly shrugged off the image of his mom in his head and concentrate the day that lies ahead and looked at the clock. It said 4 am. It will be at least 4 hours more before Buffy shows up at his dorm.


As he lay on his bed and looked up in the ceiling with a stupid grin on his mouth, his head brought him back to the time he heard Buffy’s interesting proposition.


Flashback ( the day before)


“Spike,” She drew out a big breath before she blurted out. “ Can you please be my fiancé this coming weekend?”


“What did you…Oh Bloody hell! Summers, what are you up to?”


“What makes you think that I’m up to something?”


Spike cocked an eyebrow at her. “ Buffy…”


“All right! I have a problem ok!” she exclaimed.


“Well I could see that.” He said, giving her a disapproving look.


“The thing is Riley is out of town and-“


“You’re missing captain cardboard and you need somebody to play your boy toy while he’s not around.”


Her eyes went big. "No!"


“So you’re not missing him!”


“No! I mean- Yes! "


“My, you’re one fickle minded bird these days.” He chuckled, looking very amused at her discomfort.


“Yes, he's my fiance' of course I miss him and no, I am definitely not looking for a boy toy! ” She told him a little too defensively that it made him wonder a little.


“Relax, Summers. I’m just playing with you.” He told her, grinning. “ Why don’t you come in and tell me more about …what you just told me.”


He saw the way Buffy’s eyes landed on his chest and saw the way her cheeks blushed at the same time. Then she looked at him and he for a minute he thought he saw lust flickered in her eyes but it was gone quickly before he was able to make sure.


And so, Buffy tried to stay calm as she relayed her dilemma while Spike struggled with holding back his laughter. “What’s so funny?" She crossed her arms over her chest." I have a BIG major problem, Spike. And here you are making fun of me.” She frowned.


“Sorry luv,” He apologized when he was able to compose himself. “ It’s just that you just wasted your time coming here.”


“But you already said yes!”


“That was before you told me the bit about pretending to be your fiancé.” Although Spike realized the kind of trouble she’s in, he didn’t want to partake in a charade that would obviously lead him into deeper trouble.. He’d already made the mistake of kissing her 2 days ago which made his desire for her grew even ten times stronger, he’ll be damned if he’ll let her play with his heart strings again by letting her get close to him..


“Spike please?” She pleaded.


When he saw the way her lips formed into a pout, he immediately found himself lost in them. “God! Those lips make me crazy. “ He muttered incoherently.


“You said something about my lips?”


He cleared his throat.” I said those lips… need a little Chapstick.” He told her, turning away as he shut his eyes in frustration.


“Really?” Buffy said, scrunching up her nose as she disappeared into his bathroom. “ Be right back.”


Those lips need a little Chapstick. Good work spike, he scolded himself mentally.


Minutes later, Buffy reappeared with her lipstick fully retouched. “Okay, now how do I look?” She mocked him by closing her eyes and puffing out her glossy lips like she’s waiting for him to kiss her.


When Buffy opened her eyes, she’d half expected to see Spike laughing at her but instead she was surprised to find a serious looking Spike staring back at her with an unfathomable expression on his face.


Looking at Buffy’s lips, his mind automatically recalled the kiss they had shared 2 days ago, the one that Buffy doesn’t even know about, and that thought made him want to throw away all of his reservations and just have his vicious way with her.


Lost in a trance, he stared into her eyes with his heart wildly racing. Just as he was about to close the distance between them, a loud ringing sound suddenly snapped him back to his senses. He looked at the caller ID. Dru. What the bleedin’ hell does she want this time?


“ Hello. Dru? Can I call you back? I’m kind of right in the middle of something…. Yes I promise to call you.” He told her impatiently. “ Okay? Bye.”


“ I need to go. “ Buffy told him, a trace of anger in her voice.


“But you just got here?”


“Spike, “ She sighed heavily then went on.” I have a date with my dad and I have to meet him in a few minutes. Now that I got your answer, there’s really no need for me to stick around anymore,” she told him hurriedly as she got ready to leave.


“Do I get something return?” His question immediately stopped her dead on her tracks.


“What?”


“If you want me to pretend to be your fiance' , Buffy I’ll have to ask something in return.” He said cockily as he crossed his arms over his shirtless chest.


Buffy turned to face him with a hint of excitement in her eyes. “ Name it. I’ll do anything.”


“Anything?”


“Yes, anything.”





TBC




A/N: Thanks to Ash, Roo, ChrissNicole, PhotographyNut, Rosie, Candace, Crystal Pegasus, Laura Liz, Aprilyn, Steph, Jessica, Whyme for the awesome reviews you’ve given me on my last chapter. Thank you! Thank you!