Author's Chapter Notes:
Special thanks to my beta- Hotmomma M.B. !
39 year-old Charles Gunn stood facing the window of his nicely decorated office inside one of the biggest luxury hotels in California as he waited patiently for his next client. He briefly contemplated on losing the coat that completes his Armani suit simply for the reason that he never really got used to wearing them. It was far different from the attire he used to wear 8 years ago when he was still out in the busy street of L.A., helping out homeless kids with his stepsister, Anne.


He looked at his watch and noted that it’s still a few hours before Glory O’Connor arrives from her private helicopter. She was set to meet with him and the rest of the board members to discuss the future plans that have been made for this hotel.



Now that the months of renovation on most part of the building had been done, it’s already time for he and Tara to set out their carefully thought out ad campaign into motion. Not that the hotel needed a boost in attracting customers, but Glory wanted to make last effort of refining everything before she pass it to the next owner. This particular hotel after all was the pioneer among her dozens of establishments; thus, it’s imperative for all its guest to able to experience the richness of its heritage and as well as realize that a great deal of family history and years of tradition have been set as its foundation.



A light knock was heard from the other side of the door. He turned and saw Fred peeked through it. “Mr. Finn and Ms. Summer are now here to see you.”


“Great. Please send them in.”



***********************


The Vice President was already standing up and waiting for them when they entered his office. “Good morning! You must be Riley and Buffy. “



“Actually, Charlie. Mr. Finn Prefers to be called William.” Lorne explained.



“Really?” He confirms with Spike who only gave him a light shrug. William may be a ‘nancy boy’ name but hell would freeze over before he would allow anyone to call him Riley even if it was just pretend.



“My apologies, William.” He shook hands with the couple. “We are so happy to have you here. I’m Charles Gunn. Why don’t guys have a seat and make yourselves comfortable while I have Fred get you all something to drink. Can I help you with anything aside from the obvious reason why you came here? Water? Can of Soda or perhaps a bottle of wine made from our own vineyard? Hotel Athenea is actually known to make one of the finest red wines in our Country. Would you like to try it?”



“Oh yes, I would definitely love to try out some of that wine. How about you two lovebirds?” Lorne turned to Buffy and Spike.



“Wine’s good.” Spike answered curtly.



“Coke for me, please.” Buffy told Charles.



Buffy never felt so nervous in her life. What was she thinking when she asked Spike to pretend to be her fiancé? Is she really that desperate to get this particular hotel for her wedding reception? Desperate enough to lie? Her eyes darted towards the door that they came into and briefly contemplated on walking out…She couldn’t decide where she should tell them the truth or just call the entire thing off….Call the wedding off…Now that’s a thought. A very appealing thought.



“While we wait for those drinks, I need to tell you something.” Charles paused. “I have good news and bad news.”




“What’s the bad news?” Buffy asked, trying to mask the eagerness in her voice. Please tell me that you’re fully booked so that we don’t have to go through this nerve-racking ordeal.



“As of this morning we’re fully booked on that particular date you requested.”



Thank you, Buffy thought silently.



“ Unfortunately, that was the last opening for the year “ The VP went on. “So I’m afraid I have to put your names on our wait list for the meantime, but, since you have an elite account, that puts you on our priority list. Sorry, but December receptions often gets fully booked a year in advance.”



“Really?” Buffy feigned disappointment.



“So what’s the good news?” Spike asked.



“We have at least two couples who had reserved that date but were thinking of pushing back their wedding till next year. We should be hearing from them anytime soon.”



Buffy smiled but it didn’t reach her eyes. “I guess that’s …that’s something. “




Within minutes, Fred appeared with a tray of beverages.



Oh great! Soda. I so needed to drink something before I pass out. Agitated, Buffy carelessly snapped the lid open and accidentally hurt her finger in the process. “Ow!”



Immediately, Spike was at her side. “Are you ok, luv?” Spike asked, his tone full of concern “Here, let me….”



Buffy quickly, reached out to give him the soda that she needed help with, but Spike surprised her when he took her injured finger and lifted it to his lips to kiss it tenderly. The look that he gave her almost took her breath away.



“Like I told you, Charles- these guys are definitely the ones you’ve been looking for. They looked so… natural! ”



Lorne’s voice instantly brought them out of their trance.



At the couple’s confused look, Lorne grinned knowingly as he went to explain further. “ Their hotel is currently searching for a real couple to grace the cover of the ‘Something Blue’ Magazine to help them launch their ad campaign.”



“Oh.” Buffy replied, her face suddenly filled with worry “ But we’re not interested in-“



Charles considered them thoughtfully. “ Well, they do seem to have the chemistry that we’re looking for.” He told Lorne.



“Chemistry?” Buffy repeated, her face confused.



“That’s right, Chemistry.”



All of a sudden, Buffy burst into laughter. There was nothing really funny but she just couldn’t help it. She laughed so hard that she began to get strange looks from the people around her, including Spike. “I’m sorry. It’s just that you guys crack me up.” She managed to say before she doubled up again. “ If you’ll excuse me (laughs), I think (laughs) I need to go to the (laughs) Ladies’ room. “




“Sure, honey. You do that. “ Lorne told Buffy as he gave Charles and Spike a what- got- into- her look.



“I’ll take you there.” Fred offered.



“Thanks. “



The minute Buffy and Fred were out of the room, two sets of accusing eyes landed upon the bleached blonde.




“ What?”




********************

Buffy continuously pounded her head on the wall the moment she and Fred got to their destination. “ I –am-such-a- screw-up! All my life, I’ve never gotten anything right!” She whimpered. ” I don’t even know what I’m doing here in the first place.”



“Ms. S-… Buffy, stop that or you’re going to cause some serious damage to your brain.” Fred told her worriedly.



“She always got what she wanted- the soccer trophy, the cheerleading squad and the man of her dreams, I bet, judging from the way she was sticking her tongue down his throat!”



“Who are you talking about? Who’s she?” Fred asked.



Buffy stopped what she was doing and looked at Fred straight in the eye.” Faith.”



“Faith?” Fred asked in confusion. “You mean Faith Cohen? You know her?”




Buffy nodded.




“Wait a minute. Is this about what happened earlier because I saw the way she flirted with-“




“He doesn’t want me. ” She finally told the brunette.




“Okay now you completely lost me. Who are we talking about this time?”




“Spike.”




“Who’s Spike? You mean you're in love with another guy?”





“No. Spike IS William.”




“Gee, glad you cleared that out. “ Fred told her sarcastically.




“He’s the same guy, Fred but don’t ask me why since it’s really complicated.” The petite blonde sighed audibly.




“And you don’t think Spike wants you?” Fred asked, as she tries to put things together in her mind.




“God! I know I sound pathetic but it’s true” Buffy grumbled.” He doesn’t want me.”




“What?! Oh honey what on earth made you think that? Of course he wants you.”




“No, he doesn’t.” Buffy shook her head. “ Can’t you see? It’s all an act.”




“An act? Don’t be silly. You’ve been watching too many soap operas, Buffy. Not all men are deceitful. Haven’t you seen the way he looks at you? “ Fred pointed out.




Buffy gave it some thought before she replied. “No, but-“



Fred Chuckled. “Did you know that the look on his face never changed from the moment you two got here?”



“What kind of look?”



“Like he wanted to carry you to the nearest empty room so that he could have his own wicked way with you look.” She teased.




Buffy blushed. Could it be possible that what she’s telling was true? “I don’t know. Do you think so?”




“I don’t just think so. I know so.” Fred told her simply.” I’m in the romance business, Buffy. I would certainly know what’s authentic. Tell you what, why don’t you just see it for yourself.”



“What do you mean?” Hope became evident in her eyes.




“I mean just observe and do something….I don’t know? Sexy? And just see how he’ll react. “





TBC



A/N: Thanks to all my readers and especially to those who left a review on my Last chapter. I’ve been trying to get back to my usual two or three posting in a week but unfortunately, things had been pretty hectic lately. We’re busy packing stuff because we just sold our house.

If you'd like to join my mailing list, kindly send an email to slaymuch@comcast.net and please type the word “Spuffy” on the subject.

Thank you!