Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to my beta hotmomma MB for working with me on this chap!
“Oh, right. Stuck in a dark corner with a creature you loathe, diggin' up past uglies, 'cause you're fine. “
- Spike, Fool for Love







Upon entering the small café where they were supposed to meet with the hotel manager, the first thing that caught her eye was the sight of Faith Cohen in a tongue-fest with her fiancé.


Obviously, they were there for the menu selection as well, Buffy thought disdainfully as her nose cringed in disgust. Just when she thought things couldn’t get any worse, she saw that the table Lorne had picked out for them was directly across from Faith and her fiancé.


“You have got to be kidding me.” She mumbled before she took a seat on the chair that Spike held out for her.


Spike Chuckled. “If you’ll ask me, it looks kind of sloppy from this angle. May be we ought to show them how it’s done, pet.” He waggled his eyebrows suggestively at her.


“Spike, one peck is not gonna compete with-“ Her voice trailed as their eyes met and a moment of clarity hit her of what he really had in mind.” No, no, no.” She whispered.


“Why the bloody hell not?” He asked, his ego bruised.


“I already told you why.” She insisted.


Oblivious to their dilemma, Lorne began. “Listen. This food tasting session would probably take a while, so I hope you don’t mind if I slip out for a bit. I can assure you that the hotel manager is going take good care of you two even if he’s quite bossy and a little judgmental. ”



“Hello, Lorne.” The manager greeted.



Lorne gave out a small yelp when a familiar small looking guy in a pinstripe suit suddenly appeared beside him.



Not even bothering to hear what the Wedding planner’s acknowledgement was, the man inconsiderately went on ”Goodbye Lorne.”



“And that’s my cue to leave,” Lorne stood up. Normally, he would have done it properly and introduced the manager to his clients before leaving, but this particular one was far from being normal. “I promise to be back in a few.” He told the couple, giving Buffy a friendly wink before leaving in a hurry.



“The nerve.” The couple heard the man muttered as he slowly turned to face them. “My apologies for we haven’t been introduced, my name is-“



“Snyder?!!!” the two exclaimed in unison. Their eyes were as big as headlights as soon as they realized who he was.



“Buffy… and Spike.” He practically spit out there names in disgust. “Two of Sunnydale High’s incompetent alumnus. So nice to see you again.” he mocked.



They could not believe it. The ex-principal of Sunnydale High now works as the manager of this hotel? This very distinguished hotel? Now that’s just…wrong.



“You actually work here?” Buffy asked, her eyes, still hasn’t shrunk to its actual size.



“No, I just happened to pass by,” He said then added in sarcastic tone. “Of course, I work here. Didn’t you hear what Lorne had just told you, worthless people? That I’m the manager of this hotel?”



“No, actually he didn’t.” Spike answered. “But we could tell from the way that the fella had scampered off that he was so obviously talking about you.”



Spike remembered the last time they saw the irritating small man was at their high school graduation, making a worthless rant about how most of them were not going survive in the real world. The man had been nothing but a pain in the ass.



“Huh!” Spike started in a mocking tone. “So… Did you manage to frighten the poor Hiring Manager to get him to employ you?”


“Very funny. As a matter of fact, I worked my way into this position fair and square.” He told them proudly. “Which is as much as I could say about you.” He turned to Buffy. “Say Ms. Summers. Aren’t you supposed to be here with your real fiancé who happens to be the very sophisticated and very loaded Mr. Riley Finn?.”


Annoyed, Spike’s jaw clenched as he stood–up and eyed Snyder fiercely. “Finn’s out of town so my best friend here asked for my help to stand in for him.”


“Stand in? Since when did this hotel allowed stand ins?! You’re not gonna get away with this.” Snyder told them as he proceeded to look between the two and laughed insultingly. “ Now THIS is hilarious! You are so pathetic, Giles! It’s been years since you graduated from high school and yet here you are, still trying to work you way into Bu- Ow, Ow.” The rest of his sentence died as Spike gripped his arm tightly.


“You and I need to talk.” He told Snider as he inconspicuously ushered him into an abandoned corner of the café.



“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Snider complained as Spike finally let go of him. “What you just did was totally rude and uncalled for! ”



“You are not going to say a word do you hear me?” Spike warned.



“Why not? Who’s going to stop me? “ The manager grunted. “Certainly not a loser like you!” He was about leave when Spike pulled him back.



“We’re not done here, you bloody git. You are going shut your gob and stay mum about Riley and my feelings towards Buffy …which by the way I’ve no idea how you knew but let me assure you that you could kiss your job goodbye if you don’t keep your mouth shut.”



“I can’t believe you have the nerve to threaten me. What are you exactly going to do? Scold me to death?”



Spike gave a small chuckle before his face suddenly turned serious. “ Gee, is it me or do I seem to recall a certain principal and a History teacher going at it inside the janitor’s closet during school hours?” Spike grinned cockily as every hint of color suddenly left the manager’s face. “I wonder what good ol Charlie’s going to say about that? A school principal, doing the naughty within school premises. I can bet that that’s the reason why you lost your job… You know I don’t exactly remember why I chose not to tell anybody about it, but I guess it’s true what they say…better-late -than never!”


“You wouldn’t.”



“Try me.” Spike warned him as he gave him a little shove signaling him to head back to their table.



“Great! You’re back. Snider? You’re still alive?” Buffy feigned a surprise. “ You’re lucky that Spike grabbed you the way he did because if he didn’t, I promise you that you would be limping and grabbing your crotch by now, yelling every kind of profanity your puny little mind could think of. ”


Snider’s response was almost comical as he mouthed,” I hate you two.” Then he straightened out his tie and sat with them.



“I guess we’re good.” Spike reassured Buffy.



“Better be.” Buffy told him, “ I am not exactly loving the ambience with slutty Faith’s moans in the background mingling through the airwaves like every 2 seconds.”



Spike turned to Snider. “ Aren’t you supposed to be calling your crew and have them parade a variety of food or something?”


“Of course.” He told them firmly as he left and disappeared into the kitchen.


“They seem pretty intense.” Spike commented as he dared a peek at Faith and company.


“What are you doing? You are not supposed to gawk at them. ”


“Well it’s just they seem to be having -.”


“A grand time. I know. ” Buffy completed it for him, her mind still loopy from the encounter with Snider and the chemistry thing. “ We suck at being engaged. Look, I think we should just throw in the towel and come clean with it. I’m sorry that I had to drag you into this.”


“No. It’s not your fault, luv. If you’ll ask me, I say we should go ahead and deal with it since we’re already here.”



“I don’t know.” Buffy told him as she nervously played with one of the spoons on their table that ended up flipping over. “Whoops!” She searched where it landed and found it sitting right next to Spike’s shoe. “God, I’m such a klutz.” she muttered; glad that nobody seemed to have witnessed the stunt she just pulled. “Spike could you-“ So there she was, about to ask Spike to get the spoon for her when she recalled what Fred told her in the ladies’ room – …just observe and do something….I don’t know? Sexy? And just see how he’ll react.

“Wait, I’ll get it.” Buffy told Spike as she bent and walked underneath the table before he could say anything.


In the split second that she was hidden under the table, she adjusted the scoop of dress in such way that it would move down to reveal more cleavage. She came out at the other end tried to appear like she was having a hard time looking for the spoon.


“What on earth are you doing, luv?”


“Looking for the spoon.”


Buffy looked up to see if he was checking her out but to her dismay, his attention was nowhere near her. She saw him turn and focused his interest on Faith who had been trying to get everyone’s attention through her annoying flirtatious giggles.


************


When Spike saw the spoon flew over to land conveniently beside his right shoe, he quickly made his attempt to retrieve it, but there was something in the way Buffy had boldly went underneath the table that told his brain to remain perfectly still. Why? Because God knows what he might’ve done if he ever as much caught himself alone in a room with her. And underneath table cover could pretty much spell the same danger. All this pretending was finally getting to him and his stubborn mind kept on reliving the very short memory of his lips on hers just a few hours ago.


Spike chuckled when Buffy showed up at his side of the table. “What are you doing, luv?”


“Looking for the spoon.”


He was about to help her by telling her where it landed when his eyes caught a very good view of her plunging neckline. Bloody Hell! Was she trying to kill me? He swallowed hard as she continued to move in such a way that he could see through the black lacy lingerie. He practically whimpered at his discomfort when he realized that it was same lacy number that Anya had given to her on her last birthday.


It took all his willpower to turn his head away as he adjusted himself in his seat and pretended to be engrossed with other things. But the truth is, all he could think about was Buffy’s luscious feminine assets.


“Uh here it is.” The blonde grimaced as she grabbed the spoon and went back to her seat.



“Are you okay?” He asked when he saw the deep scowl on her face. He wondered what got her upset all of a sudden.



“I’m okay.”



“Are you sure, luv?”



“’Course I’m sure. Why wouldn’t I be s-sure?” She stammered nervously as her hand resumed to playing with the spoon once more.


TBC



A/N: Thank to SarahandJamesfanatic, Christine, Spuff_me, Kayla, PhotographyNut, Breannastorm, Silvy, Ash, Steph,Crytal Pegasus, Rosie and Kimmie for the wonderful reviews you left with my last chap. Also I have to thank everyone who had requested to be included in my mailing list. I’m so overwhelmed right now from the number of response that I got. To those of you who haven’t yet, just send me an email with “Spuffy” as the subject. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!