Author's Chapter Notes:
Big thanks to everyone who reviewed on my last chapter!
Buffy grumbled silently to herself as Riley offered her a glass of wine. She took it and held her tongue, knowing that it will probably raise two sets of eyebrows if she dared remind him of her weak tolerance towards alcohol. Damn! How could he forget? Then as she tried to search her mind for a possible answer, something inside her clicked. She realized that the reason behind Riley’s frequent blunder was because she never once told him about her weird reaction to alcohol nor the simple fact that eating crabs would instantly cause her face to swell up.


How could she not have told him all this time? Weird, but true. All those times that they went out, all she ever did was order a soda and Riley never bothered to ask the reason behind it. An irksome feeling had begun to seep through her as she looked upon the man who she’s about to marry…The man who clearly doesn’t know much about her at all.


“So…” Richard started ” Where do you plan to live? ”


“Have you guys talked about it?” Kate added, aiming her question at Buffy.


“Yes. We did.” Buffy nodded. “Of course we did….We um…”


The older couple waited for the rest of her answer but it didn’t come. Buffy couldn’t think clearly with all three of them staring so intently at her.


Finally, Riley had decided to save her. “We’re actually planning to settle here.”



“Here?” Kate threw a worried look at his husband. “In Sunnydale? Are you sure you want to do that?”



“Buffy and I like it here. I don’t find anything wrong with this town. “ Riley asked.



“Well, the thing is-“ Richard paused.” Have you even considered the school district?”



“School district? ” Riley echoed with an amused grin.



Buffy stared long hard at the stem wine glass before taking a small sip. To hell with it, She silently mused. She would do anything to block out the stupid conversation they were having.


“This is a serious matter, Riley?” Richard added firmly. “Are sure this town is going to be what’s best for your kids?”



Richard’s last comment had completely thrown Buffy off guard that she accidentally spurted the red wine she just sipped.



“Oh God, I’m so sorry.” Buffy quickly grabbed the table napkin on her lap and tried to pat dry Kate’s expensive white top. “ I didn’t mean to-“



“It is all right dear,” Kate gave her a forced smile. “Nothing to worry about. I’ll just go and change.”


“I’m really sorry…” Buffy added guiltily as she tried to avoid Riley’s inquisitive gaze.


******************

Meanwhile, three suspicious looking heads appeared one by one looking through Riley’s dinning room window.


“Could anybody please tell me what we’re doing here?” Xander asked, impatiently.


“We need to get Buffy out of there ASAP.” Anya answered punctuating her last word with a nod.

Xander looked at her quizzically.” What? Why?”


“So he could finally tell her what he feels! That’s why!”


“Ahn…You’re speaking like Riley and Buffy are getting married today.” Xander pointed out. ”Spike could just tell her what he feels first thing in the morning.”


“You seriously believe that Spike is going to have the guts to tell Buffy how he feels come daybreak. You of all people should know that that’s not gonna happen! Not without proper intervention. Spike may have bad ass image in good in Sunnydale but when it comes to Buffy he’s no more than a mere school boy with a crush.”


“Sitting right here.” Spike grunted.


Ignoring Spike, Anya went on. “So that’s where we come in. We have to do something before it’s too late. It’s now or never.”


“So we’re really going to crash their dinner party?” Xander asked. “ Are you out of your mind?”


“I’ve never been more serious in my life, Xander. Trust me on this because I have a fool proof plan.“


“And that’s supposed to ease my worries?” Xander muttered.



******
Spike momentarily steered away from his friends’ conversation the moment he spotted Buffy.


From their angle, he had a very good view of Riley and Buffy sitting beside each other as compared to Riley’s parents’ whose backs are the only ones he could only see. He couldn’t quite hear through their conversation so he had to rely mostly on their facial expression.


He caught the part where Buffy had basically mouth sprayed the wine on Riley’s mom. He thought it was so bloody hilarious that he had a hard time keeping himself from laughing out loud. The scene actually caused a big relief for him ever since the stupid ponce offered Buffy the glass of wine. What the sodding hell was he thinking getting his girl drunk right in front of his parents?


Spike finally got a very good view of his girl as the woman stepped out of the room.
.

While Riley and his dad chatted away, Spike noticed that Buffy’s mind seemed to be elsewhere. Spike took in the gloom on her face. Gone were the twinkle in her eyes and the bright smile that she wore that day at the hotel. Her fingers toyed with spoon before her other finger went to touch the ring on her finger. And that’s when he saw it.


His heart jumped when he saw that the ring she was wearing wasn’t Riley’s….It was his. Why would she still be wearing it?


He watched as Buffy continued to play with the ring, touching and turning it absentmindedly before her eyes went comically wide. Spike got his answer to his question when he saw the panic look on her face. His tiniest hint of hope was crushed as she discreetly took it off and replaced it with the one that Captain Cardboard gave her.


Oh Crap! Buffy thought silently.


Right after she found Spike and Dru together in his dorm, Buffy practically ran all the way home, crying. She was so angry that she had changed her mind about breaking up with Riley. Out of her haste to make it to their dinner appointment in time, she had taken Riley’s ring from the jewelry box, thinking that she could just switch the two on her way.


“Something wrong, baby?” Riley’s asked her with concern.


“Uh-no, I’m okay.” Buffy answered, faking a smile.


“I think the reason why Riley was asking you, dear is because you look like you hardly touched your food.” Richard pointed out with a grin so wide it’s annoying. “Are you on a diet of some sort?”


“No, she’s not on a diet,” Riley interjected then quickly turned to Buffy when he became doubtful. “ Are you?”


Suddenly the phone rang before Buffy could reply.


“I’ll take it.” Riley quickly stood up. “Probably the frat house.”


******************
“So what’s the plan?” Spike asked, his eyes still on Buffy.


“You try to call Buffy from her cell phone and tell her to come out here.”


“That’s it.” Spike asked, looking skeptical. “ That’s your plan? That I ‘ll just ask her to come out here?”


“ Just do as I say okay?” Anya insisted.



***********

“Where’s Riley?” Kate asked when she returned to her seat.


“He just took an important phone call.” Buffy replied.


“Wonder what could be so important that it took him away from our once in a blue moon family dinner.” Kate grumbled.


“Well if our dinner didn’t take that long to prepare in the first place …” Richard pointed out.


“It was the grocery store that took most of my time. If you just agreed to come along and help me then I wouldn’t have gotten lost.”


“Well, I’m just as new here as you are to this place so I don’t think my being there would’ve made any difference.”


“ It’s been so many years since I’ve done the grocery myself you know. It’s confusing. I couldn’t even find the eggs.” Kate continued.” It’s a good thing a handsome young man saw my dilemma and helped me out.”


“It’s called customer service, honey.” Her husband quipped.


“Well actually, he was just a customer like me, only he knew the place better than I did, obviously.”


“He did not take your wallet, did he?” Richard’s joke this time was met with a disapproving look from his wife.


When Buffy’s phone rang, it was only time then that the couple realized that they weren’t alone.


The petite blonde was almost glad for the diversion, but the moment her eyes saw who it was on the caller id, she turned it off.



“Who was it dear?” Kate asked.


“Oh…it’s uh… nobody important. It’s just one of those persistent telemarketers.”


*************

What the? Did she just did what he think she did? Spike saw the hint of anger flashed before her eyes before she turned her phone off. Is she upset with him? Why would she be upset with him? He quickly searched his mind for something he did that could’ve offended her but he kept on drawing a blank.


“I don’t why but she seemed to be upset with me.” Spike said.


“Nonsense. I think she just didn’t want to be disturbed.” Anya assured him


“Oh right! She turned off her phone because she didn’t want to be disturbed from a riveting conversation.” Spike said mockingly.


“Okay! Good point. “Anya agreed.” No need to be sarcastic about it.”


“I guess that would mean your plan didn’t work, Anh. “ Xander told his girlfriend. “I think it’s time for us to head home.”



“No. Not just yet! We still have plan B.” Anya told them.” Come on, follow me guys.”


The three of them started to walk. Then as they reached Riley’s front porch Spike stopped them.


“ Hold it, I’m not moving an inch, till you tell me what’s on your mind.” Spike told her.



“We’re gonna see if the back door is open.”



“We’re gonna trespass you mean.” Xander said.



Anya grunted. “ You guys are such whimps! Fine! I’ll do it. I’ll go in and try to get hold of Buffy. Wait a second.” Her hand went up to her left ear. “ I lost an earring.”


“You what now?” Spike asked irritatedly.


“I must’ve lost one of my earrings when we ran all the way here.” She said in panicked voice. “ It’s special Xander. They’re worth almost a thousand.”


Xander’s eyes went wide.” Why on earth would you wear something so expensive to our operation Spuffy in the first place?”


“Operation Spuffy?” Spike looked at Xander sternly.


“I’m afraid you guys will have to look for it.” Anya insisted.


“What?!!! We can hardly see anything in the dark.” Xander complained.



“Well you could start right here. “ Anya suggested.



“Are you completely daft?! ” Spike reacted. “ It’d be like looking for a needle in a haystack.”



“I see something shiny near the door. Could you please take a look at it Spike?” Anya pleaded.



Swearing to himself, Spike marched angry steps towards area were Anya pointed. Then as he bent down, Anya quickly pressed the doorbell before she grabbed Xander and left the scene.




TBC


A/N Sorry but I won’t be able to post the next chapter till after a week or two. There are some things that I would need to take care of like my son’s upcoming first birthday and a couple of gigs lined-up. I hope to be back with the new chapter by Nov 21.

Thank you for your patience!