Author's Chapter Notes:
N/A
“ So how exactly did the two of you meet again?” Riley suspiciously asked just as they all settled in the dining room.


Buffy kept her head down, feeling uneasy. Why does Spike had to take the seat across from her? It was bad enough that he had occupied her thoughts all this time. Must he be there to torment her physically as well? Why is he here and what does he want? Didn’t he just get back with his precious Drusilla? And most of all, why would he even hide that fact to her?


“…at the grocery store, honey. I thought I already mentioned it to you.” Kate answered as she gently wiped a napkin over her lips.


“No, you haven’t, mom.”



Riley turned to Spike, his eyes brimming with distrust.“ And what were you doing at the grocery store?”



“Spike is our guest, Riley.” Richard warned. “What Spike does with his own time is none of our business.”


“It’s all right.” Spike said softly as he turned to Riley. “If you must know, I was buying myself a mint and a pack of cigarettes.” Spike recalled himself dropping by at Walmart after his brief encounter with Dru. Normally he would prefer buying his cigarettes at a convenience store, but his sudden craving for a smoke had compelled him to stop at the nearest store he could find right before he went to see Xander at the Bronze.


“Ummmm. This is the best crab soufflé I’ve ever had.” Spike complimented, ignoring Riley’s piercing stare. “Riley’s lucky to have a mom like you, Mrs. Finn”



“Why thank you, dear. That’s so sweet of you ” Kate blushed. “and please call me Kate.”


Spike almost choked on his food when Riley’s mom secretly rested her hand on his knee and gave it a light squeeze. What in the world has he got himself into? Fortunately for him, Richard asked her to pass the salt for this compelled her to withdraw her hand instantly.




Rolling her eyes, Buffy took an angry bite on her asparagus. Incidentally, it had been the only food she was able to gobble throughout dinner since she couldn’t touch Kate’s crab soufflé.



“Kate is a very good cook.” Richard added proudly. “ and crab soufflé happens to be one of her many specialties.”




“It really is an awesome dish, Mrs…I mean Kate.” Spike complimented with a charming smile. Spike tried to appear naive as he went on and added, ”…too bad Buffy can’t eat it. ” His gaze went over lovingly to the petite blonde before him. “You would’ve loved it, pet.”



A hush fell upon them as Buffy’s face went up alarmingly towards her best friend. Spike answered her look with an innocent one. “ What, you didn’t tell them?”



“Oh dear!” Kate gasped. One of her hands came-up to cover her mouth in shock. “You’re allergic to crabs.”



“Very funny, Spike.” Riley told Spike, his grip getting tighter on his fork. “ If she was allergic to crab, I would’ve known about it.”



“So that would explain why you haven’t touched your food.” Richard added thoughtfully



“What am I, a wall here? Buffy’s not allergic.” Riley insisted.



Ignoring her son, Kate began to apologize to Buffy. “ I’m so sorry, dear. We didn’t know.”



“Buffy, please tell them you’re not allergic to crabs.”



“Riley…” Buffy looked at him guiltily.” I forgot to uh…. I w-wanted to but…It’s just the chance never came up before.”



Riley’s nose flared as his eyes were met with Spike’s nana-nana-nana look. He wanted to punch Spike’s nose, but instead tried to appear calm as he held Buffy’s hand and kissed its palm. “That’s okay. I understand. No need to fret about it, baby.”



Spike turned to his side and tried to mimic Riley’s words in disgust.


Buffy looked-up and their eyes met. He winked at her and she found herself smiling, in spite of her brooding anger.

********************

Drinking his coffee, Spike observed Buffy and Riley with hooded eyes in the living room. He’d been wanting to catch her alone so he could finally tell her how he felt but Riley’s tight presence with Buffy made it virtually impossible.



Finally, Riley’s phone rang and Spike wasted no time to talk to her. “ I need to talk to you.”



“I need to talk to you too, but let me do it first.” Buffy muttered.



“Okay.” He said nervously, as he anticipated a discussion that could possibly go a million different ways.

.


Buffy stared up at him. Several minutes had already past and still she hadn’t said a word.



“Pet?”



“Oh right. Ummmm….You shouldn’t have come here, Spike.” She whispered.




“I’m sorry luv, I didn’t mean to barge into your family dinner. But I have something to tell you that’s really important.”



” Really?” Suddenly, it became quite clear to her now that the reason why Spike had showed up was to tell her that he and the vapid ho were getting back together. The only reason she could come up with why Spike had denied having a girlfriend earlier was probably the fact that she was on attack mode and didn’t want to upset her.



Even if it wasn’t technically news to her anymore, she knew that she wasn’t quite ready to hear it from him just yet. Not after all those mind-blowing kisses they’ve had. Not after those heart warming moments they’ve shared. “I don’t want to hear it.”


“What?!!!”



“I said I don’t want to hear it.”



“But-“



“No! Not a word.”



Buffy thought she was finally getting through to him when he fell silent but then she saw an amused look on his face so she got more furious.” What?”



“I believe that was originally my question, pet.” He said as his smirk became more evident.



“Please Spike, if this is some joke to you I’m not-“



“Buffy, why are you so angry at me, luv?”



“I guess… it’s for me to know and for you to find out.”



“I believe I already do, Summers, because it’s so obvious what got your feathers in a bunch.”



“Yeah? Humor me.” She crossed her arms.



“You’re jealous.”



So he IS back together with her. Feeling hurt, Buffy sharply turned away from him. She didn’t want him to see the tear that welled-up in her eyes “ Jealous. Are you nuts?!”


“You are, luv. I just don’t know who you’re jealous of?”



Buffy looked at him in confusion. “Spike –“



“Buffy, are you ok dear?” Kate asked from behind them.



“Yes,” she feigned a smile.” Is something I can help you with?”



“Well actually yes, I do need help but not from you.” Kate approached Spike, bashing an eyelash at him. “ I was wondering if you could help get the mugs from the top shelf.” So I get a closer look of your firm looking ass, She added silently. “Riley is still on the phone and Richard doesn’t want to get on the stool to reach it.”


“Sure Kate.” He answered although his eyes were still on Buffy.


**************

Later that evening, Spike left the Finn’s house with a heavy heart. When he came to Buffy after helping Kate in the kitchen, Riley was already at her side. He blew his chance of telling her what he felt that night so he decided to leave. He looked at her with sad eyes as walked away with his hands in his pocket. He just couldn’t bear the thought of Buffy spending the night with that ponce. He couldn’t.



He knew he shouldn’t give-up. He needed to tell her what he felt. With that last thought, he turned but wished he hadn’t since he just caught them in what seemed to be a heated kiss.



“Bugger.” He grumbled as he resumed to head home.


*********************

Buffy looked at Spike longingly as the bleached blonde started to walk home. “Riley I-“


The rest of her words died as her boyfriend captured her lips in a piercing kiss.


Buffy pulled away. “ It’s getting late. I- I need to go home.”


“Spend the night with me.”



“Riley…”


“Is it because of my parents? I’m sure they won’t mind -.”



“Maybe it’s not such a good idea…”



“Don’t worry. Even if we’re months away from getting married, I will not push you into doing something you’re not obviously ready for.”



“ Riley….”



“Buffy…?”


“I’m not talking about spending the night.”



Riley gave out a deep sigh. “ What are you talking about?”



Spike may never be hers, but she’s crazy if she’ll let herself believe that marrying Riley would make everything better. She knows that now “ I don’t think we should get married.”



“ You what?!!!! Is this because of Captain peroxide? Coz’ God help me if-”


“No…” She sighed. I wish it was, but Spike’s with Dru now. She just had to learn to live with the fact that she and Spike will never be together. All she needed to do was have the courage to finally admit it. ” I just can’t marry you Riley.”



“Honey….You’re just nervous. That’s normal. You’re having pre-wedding jitters. I’m sure you’ll get over it as soon as you talk to my mom cause I’m sure she had them when was getting married to-“



“No.” Buffy told him firmly.



“Buffy…….Are you breaking-up with me?”



“I guess I am.” She looked down. She hated doing this to Riley but she needed to finally do the right thing.



“You can’t do this Buffy…” He told her, his voice breaking.



“I’m sorry …”



Riley walked back and forth restlessly then stopped. “How about this. I’ll give you some space. What do you need? A week? A month? Okay, Let’s cool-off for a month so you could think about it.”



“But-“



Riley took her in his arms and pleaded desperately. “Please baby. .I don’t want to lose you. I love you so much. Please tell me you’re going to think it over.”



To his relief, he felt her nod. “Okay. One week and then I’ll give you my answer.”




TBC


A/N: Thanks for all your reviews. I really enjoyed writing this story ! Thanks to my friend, hotmomma for a wonderful beta.

Hope you enjoyed my latest update. Thanks again!