Author's Chapter Notes:
N/A
Flashback, Middle of Spring


Eleven year olds Buffy and Spike just got off from their school bus and like any other school day afternoon, the two headed straight for the tire swing that hung below their Tree house.

Although the tire was big enough for the two of them, it had long become a routine for William to get on it first. So he did, then Buffy followed. But not before she twirled it a dozen times prior to jumping on it, laughing as she joined him in a spinning-fest. William hated it of course, but the sight of a carefree and laughing Buffy was enough reason for him to hold his tongue. It wasn’t long ago that he decided he like the sound of her giggle. No particular reason behind it at all. He just knew that he was content whenever she was happy and crappy whenever she was sad.


“I don’t know why you keep doing that. Someday someone’s going home with a broken leg and we’re both gonna be in deep trouble.” William chuckled, as the spinning started to wind down.


“You should try it one time, Will. It’s so much fun!” She smiled at him.


“I spent Thanksgiving at a hospital once.” He mumbled. Somehow he doesn’t like the idea of seeing his best friend suffer the same fate. He got a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach by the mere thought of it.


“Yeah, I remember. I can’t believe you tripped on a pebble and hit your head on the sidewalk.” She said, a loud uncontrollable snicker escaping through her.


“It wasn’t a pebble! It was a big rock! ” He defended.


“No, it wasn’t! It had the size of a marble, clumsy much?”


“It was practically glued on the bleedin’ ground you little miss whiny!”


“I’m not whiny! ” She yelled back.


“Are to! On the way home, you whined about Faith and losing the soccer game the whole time we were on the bus. You’re such a crybaby.”


“And this came from the boy who got scared of his own shadow.”


“ I was wearing my dad’s bloody hat! Who knew that I would look like a freakin’ Freddy Krueger on the wall with somebody’s flashlight behind my back?”


“ Who’s Freddy Krueger?”


“Uh…I have no idea.” He answered, scratching his head.


Buffy rolled her eyes. “ I was the one holding the flashlight, remember? We just got home from trick or treating and you were wearing your Indiana thingy costume.”



“Like your costume was any better little miss red riding hood. Red cape and a basket of cookies- how lame was that?!”



“Stop changing the subject you scaredy-cat!”



“Scaredy-cat? Will you stop calling me that.” He complained.” I was surprised is all! There’s a big difference.”



“Come on Will, you were practically shaking like a leaf that night. Face it! I’m way braver than you! You can’t even get that rose from our neighbor’s backyard when I asked you to.”


“I wasn’t scared. I just knew that it was wrong. “ He explained. “It would be like stealing.”



“Will, It’s a just a rose.”



“A rose that could get me into prison.”



“Whimp!” She yelled on his face.


“Flower stealer!!” He retorted as he got off from the tire swing and climbed up the Tree house


Buffy irritably followed after him. “Chicken!”


“I’m not!”


“Then prove it!”


“I will.”


“Then I dare you to get me that rose.”



****************************

Present Time



After two days of not being able to see nor hear from Buffy, Spike finally called her and asked if he could come over.


“A school project?” Buffy asked at the other end of the line. “Since when did you ever need my help in doing school projects, Spike? It’s usually the other way around.” Why don’t you just ask your ho girlfriend to help you out, that is if she wasn’t busy If she wasn’t busy helping you out with other things. “ Did you hit your head on the way home?”



Spike chuckled. “Seriously Summers, I have a deadline on Friday regarding an essay about ummmm…pigs.”



“Pigs?” Buffy asked him in disbelief. “I don’t have a pig, Spike.”



“Well you got Mr. Gordo, he’s a pig is he not?” Spike grinned. He could practically picture Buffy’s stern look on the other line.



“He’s a stuffed toy.” She answered in an unconvinced tone.



“I’m not gonna tell if you won’t.”



Buffy laughed this time. No matter what she did, she just couldn’t stay angry with him especially when he’s being so charmingly cute and persistent. “ Fine. Just come. I’ve been thinking of going to that sale at Macys this afternoon, but I promised mom that I’ll finish painting my room today. And so I’m pretty much stuck in the house for the rest of the day…unless.”



“Unless what?” Spike asked, worry etched in his voice



“Well I just happened to have an extra paintbrush here with your name on it.”



“All right.” Spike chuckled. “I’ll help you paint your room as long as it’s not pink.”


*****************


A few moments later, Spike and Buffy stood side by side as they try to finish painting the last two walls of her room. They talked practically about everything. Well…not actually everything since both of them had carefully tried to avoid the subject of Dru and what happened at Riley’s so far.


For two days, Buffy had spent a lot of time alone in her room, mostly crying. She cried about her lingering resentment towards her Dad, her impending break up with Riley and losing Spike to Dru. It bothers her so much to know that in spite that all that has happened, his arms were the only ones she longed to be held with.


“ Damn it!” Spike swore as a smudge of paint had managed to get on his black shirt.



“You should’ve brought an extra shirt.” She told him worriedly as she turned to look into one of her drawers.” Let’s see if I could find one of yours here.”



A few minutes had already passed and Buffy was still looking. “I could’ve sworn I had it here somewhere.”



Impatiently, Spike spoke up. “I have a better idea.”



Buffy finally quit looking and as she turned back at Spike, her jaw fell as she caught him just in time clutching the edge of his shirt. She swallowed hard as she watched the thin material uncover hard, toned muscles, little by little. Spike was definitely better off without the shirt…or the rest of-



Buffy turned away as soon as she realized that she’d been staring. Damn it Summers! There will definitely be no getting over of the bleached blonde if you couldn’t stop yourself from ogling.



Spike returned to his task, completely oblivious to what his state of undress was doing to her.
Though he looked occupied with his work, his mind was actually working overtime trying to figure out how he could convince Buffy to break the engagement with the poof.


“Spike, why are you here?” Buffy broke through the awkward silence between them. “ And don’t say pig again because not even a five year old would find that convincing.”


“I’m here to help you paint, luv. “ He told her lamely.


“Spike.” She said in a warning tone.


Spike heaved a sigh. “Fine. You want to know the truth. I’ll tell you the truth. “ Without looking at her, he continued. “I just wanted… to see you. Just wanna see what’s been keeping you busy because we haven’t seen each other much lately. ”


Buffy’s heart did a flip-flop upon hearing those words. “Oh.”


“You know what? I hate this…this awkwardness between us.” He told her seriously.” Let’s get things out in the open. We’re best friends so we shouldn’t keep things from one other.”


Best Friends. Buffy looked at him thoughtfully before she replied. “You’re right. “


“I’m glad you agree.” His eyes twinkled.


“Okay, I’ll start.” She looked at him awkwardly.” I just….I don’t know where to begin.”


“I hear ya. It’s starting to feel like we’re in a freaking soap opera or something.” He giddily approached her.


She met his eyes. Time seemed to have stood still as he moved an offending strand from her face and tucked it behind her ear. So Beautiful. “How about we make it more interesting. We could play a game of truth or dare.”


Her eyes went wide. “Are you kidding me? That stuff is sooo high school.”


“You’re right.” Spike hid a knowing smile. “ It’s probably a bit too much for you. Can’t really force you to do something you’re afraid of doing.”



“I’m not afraid of anything!” She replied defensively.



“Of course you’re not.” He mocked.



“It’s true.” She told him with less conviction.



“If you say so.”



“Grrrr. All right I’ll play your stupid game! As long as I’m first.”



“Okay.” He half smiled. This is going to be really good. “Truth.”



“Are you back together with Dru?” She asked softly.



He smiled inwardly. So that’s who she was jealous about?! But that doesn’t make any sense since they are no longer together. He couldn’t figure out where she was getting this ridiculous notion. Spike made a mental note of asking about it later. ” No.”



“But-“



“My turn now, luv.” He winked at her.



“All right –truth”



“Do you really love Riley?”




“Are you for real? Of course I do. I was freakin’ engaged to him, wasn’t I?”



“Was only asking, pet. Don’t get your knickers in a twist.”



“My turn.” She said, calming herself. “ What-“



“Hold on! “ He raised his hand to motion her to stop talking. “Did I just hear you say- was freaking engaged? Does that mean you and Finn are no longer together?”



”Hey! Wasn’t it my turn to ask a question?”



“All right, ask away. “ Spike said impatiently as he tried to hide the building excitement within him.


“Would it matter if I wasn’t anymore?”


“Yes.” His deep tone brought shivers to her spine.” You know how much I despise the poof, Summers.”


She nodded her understanding. “ We’re on a break.”


“You are?” He cocked an eyebrow.


“For a week.”


Spike removed himself from what he was doing and faced her.“ I know it’s not my turn to ask, but why?”


She looked down at her feet, avoiding the intensity of his gaze. She couldn’t stand to be near him and yet not able to touch him. “It’s complicated. I don’t really want to talk about it. At least not yet.“



His heart secretly rejoiced, knowing that there’s a big possibility that Buffy won’t marry the poof after all. Spike tried to hide the excitement in his voice as he went back to painting. “Okay, it’s your turn to ask, luv, but this time I want a dare.”




“Dare you say?” She took a moment to think. “Well how about this. I dare you to share one of your deepest secret with me?”



Spike blinked. “ That would be cheating, luv. And who said that I have a deep secret in the first place?”



“Come on, Spike. Everyone has a deep secret.”



“Even you? “



“Yes.” She said, as she cleared her throat.



“Okay…” Now’s the time to tell her. “Buffy…”



“ Spike?” Her eyes looked up to him eagerly.



“Well…uh…you see…” He paused, his heart pounding in his ears. “ I haven’t quite been completely honest with you for some time now. “



He carefully gauged her reaction as he went on, ““I hope in time you’ll forgive me though. Because I’m not sure how you’re going to take it.”



“I think I know what it is…” She told him softly.




“You do?” he asked.



She nodded. “ I don’t know the whole gist but think it has something to do with Glory O’Connor, right?”


“ Huh!…I mean yeah! “ He awkwardly bobbed his head in agreement. That secret was bound to be out in the open anyway. So one secret down….” You caught me, luv, but how did you figure-”



“You were acting kinda strange the moment you saw her.” She explained. “ So I figured you probably knew her way before that day. The reason why you denied it is the part that I don’t understand….she’s not some sort of a sugar mommy, is she?”


“Bloody hell! Of course she’s not.”


“I’m sorry, but I noticed lately that you seem to be a mom magnet.”


Spike gave her a stern look.


“Who is she to you then?”



“She and I are related.” He blurted out.



“What?!.“ Her eyes went big as headlights. “What do you mean, you’re related?”



Bloody Hell! “She’s sort of my….grandma .” He repeated.



Spike braced himself with the expected bashing but heard nothing.” Buffy?.”



“She’s Jenny’s mom. “ It wasn’t a question. She had easily assumed she must’ve been Jenny’s estranged mother since she doesn’t sound a bit British. Buffy didn’t try to hide the disappointment and hurt in her face.



Spike ached to comfort her. “ I know you’re upset that I haven’t told you about this for so long but please hear me out. I didn’t know who she was until she started calling me William. “



“But you knew you about her and didn’t tell me.” She went and sat on the edge of her bed for support, her face looking gloomy.



“Oh pet…” In a flash, he was sitting right next to her. “The reason why I didn’t tell you about her was because I felt that there was no point of telling anyone in the first place. I don’t want her fortune and I don’t want to have anything to do with the life she has. I’m happy with just the way I am.”



“I could understand where you’re coming from, Spike.” She told him softly. “ I just hope you had trusted me enough to share that part of your life with me. I thought I was your best friend.”



“You are.” …and more. His hand went to caress the side of her cheek. He couldn’t stand to see her looking so hurt and vulnerable. “I’m sorry.”



She would’ve had him leave and be angry with him, but knowing that she’d been guilty of the same thing- lying, she immediately gave in and granted him a firm hug.



“I forgive you.” He heard her say, the warm breath on his neck caused him to gasp.

“Thank you.”



Buffy slowly withdrew from him and went back to painting the walls.



“You’re incredible, you know that.” He grinned.



The petite blonde threw her a teasing grin. “You’re finding that out, just now?”




His heart skipped a beat. Is she flirting with me? “How about you?”



“What about me?”



“What’s your secret, Summers?” Spike told her.




“I don’t have a secret Spike.”



“Too late, luv. Coz you already admitted to having one a minute ago. Come on. I shared mine, so it’s only fair that you share yours too.”



“Okay…I’ll tell you.”


“Yes?”


“I snore.”



“What?!!! That’s so lame!” He barked exasperatedly.



“What do you mean lame!? Snoring. That happens to be a laugh-worthy info so I kept it a secret.”



“Will you quit fooling around? I happen to know that you don’t bloody snore.” Spike told her without thinking.



“I do.” She doesn’t. “What made you so sure that I don’t?”



Because I’ve already spent so many nights watching you sleep and you definitely do not snore. “ I just know. ”



“ I don’t wanna play this stupid game anymore.” She grumbled, facing away from him. She so desperately wanted to tell him…about how she feels…But he loves Dru and he only thinks of her as a friend.



“That’s not fair, luv.”




“Fine.” She grumbled, folding her arms to her chest. “I’ll tell you my secret.”



“Good. Now out with it.”



“Spike, I…..”



“Buffy?”



“I…….” She gathered up her courage and blurted out.” I’ve already seen you naked!” Oh God! What did I just say?




TBC


A/N: Thanks to all who have reviewed on my last chapter. You guys are really awesome!

Thanks to hotmomma for a wonderful beta!

To those who might’ve been confused as to what Buffy was talking about at the very end of this chapter, you may wantto refresh your memory by reading Chapter 12.