Buffy Summers emerged from her bath, feeling more renewed and refreshed.


With just an hour and a half to go before she meets with the gang at the Bronze, Buffy quickly shed her towel and rummaged through her selection of wardrobe. It took her an amount of mix and matching, dressing and undressing until she opted for a green spaghetti-strap halter top and matched it with a 2-tiered black ruffled mini that showed a big amount of her shapely tanned legs.


She took a long look at herself in the mirror. She held-up her long honey blond hair and contemplated whether or not she should tie it up. She briefly remembered how Spike would specifically compliment her hair only when she's wearing it down. His little goldilocks. He would say to her.


But I'm not his little goldilocks anymore, she thought almost regretfully.


She grew-up and she doesn't need anybody to tell her what to do or how to wear her hair. She's her own self now. She doesn't need a big brother to take care of her.


Just then, her cell phone rang.


"Hello....Oh hi Riley."


"Hi babe! So how did it go?

“Huh?”

“Your meeting with your friends? How did it go?"


"Well on the scale 1 to 10 it's an 8… being 10 the highest of course."


"I see." There was a pause at the end of the other line before she heard him continue." Let me guess. Spike didn't take the news quite well?"


"Truth is I haven't seen him yet. I was able to meet with Willow, Anya and Xander. They were all kind of shocked about the news. Probably just didn't expect that it would be so soon."


"I know baby. I can't blame them. But what can I say, I just want get on with it right away I know that we still haven't finished College but hey, I could even support your school finances after we're married. I mean it would be convenient for the both of us and since we know we love each other, there's really no reason for us to wait any longer."


"Uhuh. Sure Riley." came Buffy's remote reply. " What time did you say you are stopping by at the Bronze?"


"There's just something I need to pick-up on the way, then I'm all yours for the rest of the evening."


Buffy grinned excitedly. "Wait, are you picking up another gift for me?"


"Maybe." She could imagine Riley's look of giddiness from the other end of the line.


"You can't! You just got me an expensive ring, remember?"


Riley chuckled. "Oh but I didn't mean for that ring to be a birthday present, Buffy. If you'd ask me, I believe you deserve more. All I want is the best for my girl. By the way, you haven't really told me if you like the ring. I knew you said yes but if you want, I could have it exchanged for a much better design. We could even have it made-"


"No!" She interrupted. " You don't need to do that, Riley. The ring looks perfect! I love it the way it is."


"Are you sure?"


"Yes I'm sure." Buffy looked at her watch and realized that she was almost out of time. "Listen, I need to go now, Riley. I would really love to stay on the phone and chat with you, but I kind of needed my two hands to finish-up my hairdo. You know me. I'll be grumpy Buffy if don't look my best for tonight."


"Say no more. I'll see you tonight then?"


"I'll be waiting."


"I love you, Buffy"


"I know."


******************************************

An hour later at the Bronze,


“I heard that they are going to have famous names play on stage starting from today.” Willow said cheerfully. “Not that I mind hearing the regular bands, ” she quickly added, taking Oz, her guitarist boyfriend into full consideration. She’s still Dingoes ate my baby’s number one fan after all.


“I hear you.” Oz winked at her then took her hand in his. “I enjoy seeing other bands play as well. I read on the billboard that Eric Carmen will be singing tonight."


"I'm sorry but, Eric who?” Anya asked.


"Oh I know that guy!" Buffy chirped excitedly," I believe he has a song that's included in the soundtrack of Dirty Dancing."


At the questioning look her friends just gave at her, Buffy went on quickly, " My mom is a huge fan of Patrick Swayze."


"Oh I think I've watched that movie. Was that the one with the Demi Moore?" Willow asked.


"No, baby. That was Ghost." Oz grinned at the redhead. "But I thought that was a good movie too." he told her reassuringly.

"You know me, I'm really not so good in the movie department. If you'll ask me about Calculus, Algebra and C++ programming now we're getting somewhere."


Oz responded with a small chuckle which is kind of an unusual reaction from him.


“Are you guys playing tonight?” Xander asked Oz, his eyes resting upon Devon by the bar.


“No, we’re just hanging.”


"Is it true that Devon is thinking of quitting the band? I heard you guys are looking for a new lead singer." Willow asked her boyfriend.


"True, Devon is leaving. His family is moving to LA so yeah, we're currently looking for a lead singer for the Dingoes. Any body interested?"


"How about you, Buffy? Ever thought of auditioning for a band?" Willow asked.


"Me join the band? A world of no. Didn't you guys remember me sing at the Caritas karaoke club years ago?"


"Oh yeah we remember! You sang a Christina Aguilera Song. You were actually good ya know ! " Willow recalled Buffy's birthday 4 years ago. It was the time when they got tired of going to the Bronze so somebody suggested the karaoke bar.


"Oh Wills, stop. I totally suck! I only did it so that you guys would stop harassing me." Buffy grumbled good-naturedly.


The rest of them laughed.


"Did you ever tell Riley about that day?" Willow asked.


"No!" came Buffy's quick reply." And I don't intend to. Gotta make sure that Riley wouldn't have a sudden change of heart about me."


“Speaking of Riley, he's coming by right?” Anya asked her.


“He told me he just needed to pick-up something on the way. “


“I bet he’s picking-up something expensive for your birthday.” Anya said thoughtfully.


“Oooh! I’ll even bet it’s a jewelry!” Willow added excitedly.


“Maybe.” Buffy grinned while her mind is secretly elsewhere.


Xander noticed Buffy’s gaze kept darting over and over to the Bronze’s main entrance. He felt bad that up to now, he hasn’t said anything about Spike. It's not like he could just tell her that Spike might probably be a no show that night.


“Xander,” Buffy shot him out of his reverie. ”You’re acting kind of funny.”


“Well, you know me. Funny guy Xander!” He laughed nervously.


“No, not funny haha. It’s more like funny peculiar. What's up?”


“I have to agree with Buffy. You look kind of tensed “, Willow joined in.


“You guys are watching too many Lost episodes. Although I got to say that I quite like the Ecko character, he's sooo cryptic it's creepy! Not that I'm being cryptic myself...." Okay! Shutting up now. Xander began to whistle, looking at everywhere else except Buffy. .


Xander hate lying to his friends especially to Buffy but what does a fella got to do? He can’t just tell her the truth. Is he supposed to say –Spike couldn’t make it because he’s busy getting drunk after finding out that you’re lost to him forever. Or he could say He couldn’t come on the account that he has been pinning for you since you were kids and now that you’re getting married well-


"I wonder where Spike is." Buffy mumbled. "Xander-"


"Geez! I feel thirsty!" Xander stood-up abruptly from his seat. " I think I'll grab a beer! Anybody wants anything?"


"Beer please"


"Beer for me as well."


"Coke for me"


"Water."


Everyone turned to look at Anya's unusual beverage preference for the night. "What?" She asked. "I'm trying to lower my alcohol in take."


When she didn't seem to have convinced anyone, she gave in, "All right. Beer it is then. "


"Got it." In a flash, Xander's out of his seat and hurried his way to the bar, sighing in relief.

************************

"Oh lookie. It's Sunshine and her loser friends" Drusilla drawled sarcastically.


Harmony and Cordy turned to look at who their friend was referring to. Their features instantly hardened at the sight of Buffy and her gang.


"Oh Dru, isn't that the girl who stole your boyfriend," came Harmony's nonchalant reaction.


"I thought you told me that you're the one who broke-up with him." Cordelia mused.


"I WAS the one who broke-up with my Spike." Dru told
them exasperatedly, why she ever switched from her goth group to Cordelia's, she had no clue. They never really paid any attention to what she says. The only thing Cordy cares about is her image and Harmony..well she's a sheep. Follows everything she and Cordy ever told her. She’s dumb as post and not to mention a ho. Dru almost kicked her sorry ass when she practically tried to steal Spike from him when they were still dating.


"That's funny since you told me the reason why you two broke up is because of the number of times blondie bear has shouted her name at the top of his lungs while you two were having-"


"Harmony?" Cordy hissed, cutting-off the blonde's ditzy remark.


"Yeah?"

"Shut up!" Cordy snapped at her. " Dru, I need to go to- Dru?"


Harmony pointed at where their friend had disappeared to.


"Oh boy, she going to cause a scene isn't she?" Cordy observed.


"They are so gonna gang up on Dru." Worry etched on both of their features.


"Ladies room?" Cordy said casually.


"Absolutely." Harmony answered without any form of hesitation.


************************************


"Hey Buffy. Enjoying the night are you?" Dru asked the tiny blonde, a false smile plastered on her face.


"Well, I was." Buffy told her sarcastically. God knows how much she hated this girl. She's thankful Spike has finally joined the land of the living and is no longer dating the vapid ho. She remembered how torn up Spike was on the day Dru broke up with him. Although, she wondered now if he has been trying to patch up things with his ex recently. Could it be the same reason she hasn't seen much of him lately?


"Oh did I ruin your little party with your friends?" Dru mocked innocence.


"No," Willow defended." We're still having fun. We're celebrating her birthday and we all know that Birthday Buffy and the word Fun goes hand in hand." she punctuated her words with a nod.


"Willow's right." Anya joined surprisingly. " So why don't you drag your pathetic excuse for an ass out of here and find somebody who you could boink for the rest of the night."


"As a matter of fact, I was gonna ask you something in particular to that matter." Dru told Buffy.


Willow's eyes widened. "Dru, I don't think Buffy's interested in you that way or in any way…"


"Oh gross! That's not what I meant you stupid git! " Dru winced." I just wanted ask if any of you guys have seen Spike."


"I haven't seen him," came Buffy's quick reply as she closed her eyes in frustration. Can we please be done with this useless conversation already? Go away you vapid ho! She opened her eyes then sighed in frustration. Oh no, she's still here.


"Right," Dru muttered, a look of disbelief on her face. "The reason why I asked is because my Spike has been leaving phone messages at my house, begging me to take him back."


My Spike? Buffy began to see red. So she was right after all! Her best friend apparently lost his mind once again and was trying to get back with his precious Drusilla. The last thing that she wanted to happen is to see her friend get hurt all over again. "You're lying!"


"Am I now? Have you ever wondered why your best friend is not here with you celebrating your birthday? I heard from somebody that he was just at my house looking for me. I felt so sorry for him I just might take the poor boy back. Even just for one night."


"He WILL BE here." Buffy said defiantly. Spike haven't let her down before. Why should he start now?


"Oh he will be here. But I doubt if he'll be here looking for you." Dru told her snidely


"What are you? His secretary? If you really knew so much about your ex-boyfriend's schedule, then I don't see the reason why you're still here talking to me."


"Oh Buffy, Buffy, Buffy...The dark princess knows what sunshine is hiding behind her blinding rays."


"Okay first of all I don't speak psychotic? Second, I don't care whatever word is coming out of your stupid mouth which is by the way is in desperate need of a tic tac."


"Stay away from him" She warned. "My Spike needs to be with real woman and not with someone who walks with a stick up her ass." She whispered coldly into Buffy's ear before she left and disappeared into the crowd.


Xander came back with their drinks. "Whoa. I just saw vampira leaving. Did I miss anything?"


"Oh you know, Dru is just being...Dru." Oz told him.


"Although if I may say, that she sounded bitchier than her average bitchiness." Anya added.


"Good thing, WE did not believe a word she said," Willow said, her eyes searching Buffy's.


Buffy sighed. "I don't know, Wills. Maybe that's why Spike is not here yet."


A hush fell upon the crowd as a guest was announced to play on stage. Buffy tried to appear attentive to what the Emcee had just said when inside her head, all she could ever think about were Dru's words and wonder what amount of truth were exactly behind them.


While Eric Carmen greeted the crowd before him, Xander moved to stand beside Buffy and was about to ask Buffy what Dru had said to her that made her upset when something or rather someone caught the corner of his eye. A hint of knowing smile began to form in his lips for there by the entrance of the club, stood none other than the guy in question, Spike Giles.


TBC

A/N: Thanks for the wonderful reviews :-) I'll try to make another update within the week.