Author's Chapter Notes:
n/a
“I’m sorry about what happened.” Dru told him as they pulled by the driveway.


“Thanks for driving me, Dru,” he said gloomily.


“Anytime, Spike. I’ll always be here for you.”


“I know,” he nodded. He really was glad that he could count on her, especially during times when he badly needed someone to turn to.


Dru placed a hand over his. “I haven’t stopped caring about you, Spike.”


“Dru…”


“Ever since I made a mistake of letting you go, there wasn’t a time that I looked back and never regretted doing it,” she said as she moved closer until their faces were barely an inch apart.


He doesn’t really know what came over him. At this point, he couldn’t really tell whether it was the anger or the fact that he desperately needed someone to hold on to that prodded him to accept her kiss when she brushed her lips over his.


Spike groaned into her mouth as what started out as light feathery strokes soon transformed into something more heated and desperate.


Dru kissed him hungrily. A satisfied moan escaped her lips as soon as Spike’s tongue pushed through the line between her lips. She slipped a hand inside his shirt and used her nails to trace the taut lines on his abdomen.


“Come inside, Spike. Let me help you forget about Sunshine.”


Spike desperately wanted to forget Buffy even just for a while. He would’ve done it, give in to the urge just to spite her. Instead, he found himself shaking his head. What would’ve been an offer that he couldn’t have resisted turned out to be cold water dousing over his dazed senses.


“Dru…You don’t know how tempted I am to go with you, but I just can’t right now. I’m sorry, pet,” he said as he went out of the car.


Dru quickly followed him.


“I knew that it was too soon but I still went ahead and did it anyway.” She told him foolishly. “But I do want to ask you a favor if that’s all right.”


“What is it?”


“I was wondering if you would like to be my date for my dad’s party this Saturday.”


He nodded. “Sure I’ll go with you.”


“Really?!!!” Dru beamed. “That’s wonderful, Spike! I guess I’ll just see you then.”


*************

Spike didn’t really knew how he got there, but somehow a few minutes after Dru dropped him off, he ended up in his room, holding a bottle of Jack Daniels which he managed to rummage from his Dad’s cupboard.


The fact that he wasn’t drunk enough to pass out was getting into his nerves. How old was his dad’s whisky anyway? Isn’t it supposed to get stronger the older it gets?


When the phone rang, Spike didn’t move to answer it. Instead he let the machine take it especially when he knew who could be calling from the other end.


“Hi this is Spike, obviously I’m not here so you know what to do after the beep…”


Beep.


“Hello Spike…Please answer the phone. I know you’re there…(sighing heavily)…Anyway if you’re not please give me a call when you get the chance (her voice cracks)…I so badly needed to talk to you...”CLICK.


Spike stared at his empty glass and refused to let his emotions take over. The bloody bint had no right…She had no right to tell him she loved him and then…


The phone rang again.


“Hi this is Spike, obviously I’m not here so you know what to do after the beep…”


Beep.


“Spike,” came Buffy’s weak voice. “It’s me again. I really need to talk to you…I know you are there. I feel you are there, William. You have to listen to me. You know me well enough to know that I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you. Spike please pick up the phone and talk to me…(sobbing lightly)…You have to believe me. I did not-”



The rest of Buffy’s words were lost when Spike roughly yanked the phone from its plug and sent the equipment crashing on the floor. He sat on his bed and drank the remainder of his dad’s whisky as he finally let the tears come.




*****************


Three more days passed and Spring break was over. Buffy was already dead set on not going to school if it weren’t for her mom’s prodding. The older Summers even took the time to take her to school herself, telling her that everything was just a misunderstanding and she’s a hundred percent sure that once Spike knew about the truth, he will come running back to her. After all, the important thing is that he never stopped loving her. Once it’s all out in the open, everything’s gonna be okay.


Amidst their deep conversation, Buffy had asked her mom how she ever got the notion that Spike was the cause of all her misery, when she didn’t even know that they got together in the first place.


“It was inevitable, sweetie. I knew that you and Spike are gonna end up together. I just didn’t know when and how.” She said thoughtfully. “Oh honey, If you’ve only seen how he looked at you when you fell of that tree years ago, you wouldn’t be doubting for a second that you’d be back together again. He loves you.”


Oh I wish you were right, mom, she thought disdainfully as she dragged her feet down the hall that would lead to her first class.


“Over here Buffy!” She heard Willow call from the other end of the classroom.


“Hi Will,” she greeted back, trying to put some energy into her voice but failing miserably.


“Are you okay?”


“Been better.”


“So were you able to talk to him yet?”


“No.”


“Would you like me to talk to him for you?” Willow offered.


“No, it’s okay. I think I did all I can to convince him. It’s really up to him now.”



“He’s really being a jerk for not listening to you. I mean how could he not trust…”



Buffy wondered what caused for Willow to lose the color from her face. “Why? What’s wrong?” Swallowing hard, she followed the red head’s stare and felt her heart get crushed at the sight of Spike entering the classroom with Dru. “Oh.”


She was sure he wasn’t going to find her amidst the number of kids that had gathered in front of her, but it only took a few seconds before his eyes zeroed in on her. When his blue eyes met her green ones, breathing properly soon became an issue. They both stared at one another for some time, as if not remembering where they were until Dru came to his side and coaxed him to take the seat beside her.


Buffy felt like the room has suddenly gotten smaller. She can’t believe what she was seeing. Spike had gotten back together with Dru? That good for nothing loony ho had managed to steal him away from her again? Why does it keep on happening to her?


“I hope that all of you got a very nice spring break.” Ms. Rory told them. “And since that’s over, I trust that all of you did your homework over the long weekend….”


“Homework? What homework?” Buffy whispered frantically at Willow.


“Remember that short essay about Shakespearean novels?”


“Oh THAT homework.”


“What’s the matter? Did you forget to bring them?”


“Actually I didn’t forget to bring them since there weren’t any them in the first place.”


Willow looked at her in shock. “You forgot to do them?”


“Unfortunately yeah.”



“Now I’ve assigned Ms. Kendall to call out your names and then you’re going to hand over your essay her.” Ms. Rory stated. “Since the teachers have a staff meeting that starts about half an hour, you can leave as soon as you hand over your homework.”


“Alright I’m gonna call out your names alphabetically, but I’m gonna start from the last letter.” Harmony announced.



“Why the last letter?” Parker Adams who was in hurry to leave the class asked. “Why don’t you just do it like everyone else does?”



“Because I want to.” Harmony told him defiantly and this earned a few oh’s and snickers from the class. “ Okay…let’s start with Christopher White….”



**************

“I know that it’s wrong and I won’t usually ask this, but do you have any extra work by any chance that I could use? You know how Ms. Rory gets whenever a student neglects to do a homework.” Buffy asked.



“Why, what will she do?” Willow asked, her eyes drifting to where Spike was sitting. A ghost of a smile played upon her lips when she caught him looking at Buffy with a worried look on his face. But the bleached blonde had quickly turned his attention elsewhere as soon as he realized he was being watched.



“An automatic D.”


“Oh.” The redhead replied, feeling bad for her friend. “I’m sorry but I don’t I have one.”



“Then I’m doomed.”

****************

“Michelle Tan… thank you. Molly Stewart…great…Buffy Summers….”


“Damn it,” Buffy muttered to herself.


“Buffy Summers,” Harmony called again.


“Is Buffy Summers here?” Ms. Rory asked.


Buffy tentatively raised her hand before she stood up. “I’m here.”



“Where’s your essay, Ms. Summers.”


“Well you see ummm. Here’s the thing…I sort of for-”


“Oh here it is!”


All eyes that were originally on Buffy turned to deep British voice that suddenly emerged from the class.


“She accidentally left her essay on my folder when we worked on it two days ago.” Spike reasoned out as he gave the paper to Harmony.


“I see.” Ms. Rory commented as she looked between him and Buffy who kept opening and closing her mouth like a fish. “Let me see that.”


Harmony gave the paper to the doubtful professor.


“You’re missing the cover page.”


“The cover page?” You mean the one that has my name on it. “ Oh that…I must’ve forgotten it in the house.”



“And where’s your work Mr. Giles?”



“Here you go, Ms. Rory.” He gave the one he was holding with his other hand.


“I thought I specifically indicated that you write an essay Mr. Giles and not a poem.”



“Right um…” Spike scratched his head. “You see Ms. Rory…When you mentioned about Shakespeare… the first thing that came to my mind was…how this homework would look better if it was a poem.” Yeah, he knew exactly how lame it sounded.


“Except that I didn’t ask you to write a poem.” Ms. Rory snarled then looked at Buffy. “Ms. Summer I’ll gave you until this after noon to submit the cover page and Mr. Giles…”


“Yeah.”


“I feel bad that you didn’t follow directions. How sad that you used to be one of the top ten students on my list and now that D is just gonna hurt your grade.”


“I’m sorry, Ms. Rory.”


“I’m sorry too.”


************

Buffy breathe in and out, as she waited outside the classroom. Soon Spike’s gonna be coming out of the classroom and she’ll be able to explain to him what really happened. It shouldn’t be so hard since what he had done for her several minutes ago clearly showed that he still got feelings for her.


Then when he finally came out, Buffy’s hopeful feeling was slightly dampened from the fact that Dru’s arms were hooked around Spike’s when he came out of the classroom. However, that didn’t stop her from approaching them.


“Spike, can I talk to you…alone?”


Dru shot her a menacing look as she tugged at Spike’s arms. “Come on Spike. We’re gonna be late for our next class.”


Spike’s eyes were still cold when he turned to Buffy. He didn’t say anything but his expression told her that he was not about to give her a minute of his time.


“Spike please? It will be quick. I promise.”


“Let’s go Spike.” Dru started to drag Spike away. Then a scowl crossed her face when she realized that Spike had not move.


“I’ll be right with you Dru.”


Hope flickered in Buffy’s eyes when Spike finally approached her.



“I just want to thank you for helping me back there.”



“You’re welcome.” He said, looking at everywhere but her.



“Spike-”


“Don’t think for a second that I did it for you.” He told her harshly. “I would have done that for anyone so please don’t turn it into something it’s not.”



“Will you listen to me.” She demanded. “I wasn’t cheating on you Spike. I was-“



“Just getting even?” he continued for her.



“How can you even say that to me.” Tears were already threatening to spill as she stared between him and Dru. “Are you together now? What, you just decided to go back to her after what happened yesterday?”


The look on her face combined with desperation on her voice almost made Spike want to forget all the hurt she’d caused him and just comfort her. Almost.


“Just forget about me, Buffy.”


“Does this mean that we’re not even best friends anymore?”


“I don’t know.” And with that last reply, he left without looking back.



TBC


A/N: This is the last time you’ll see the angst in this story. I apologize if the last two chaps had been pretty hard on our couple. I’m getting rid of it. The next chapter is where I would start putting all these storylines together. Please let me know what you think of this story so far.

Also, to go with the mood of this chappy, I’m recommending a music vid for you to view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwlJ85kE1fY&feature=PlayList&p=A24407A75F4A14F5&index=23


This wonderful vid has been edited by Nadya who happens to be one of my favorite Spuffy vidders in You tube. Please go check out here other vids when you can.


Thanks to MB as well for betaing this chappy for me!