Author's Chapter Notes:
n/a
“Athenea?”


“Yeah…have you heard about it? They said it’s one of the finest if not the best accommodations in California.” Well of course she knows it. She was indeed there with Riley spying on him and Buffy dancing in the great big ballroom.


“Well the I thing is I actually know the place since I happen to…”


His words were suddenly interrupted when Derek suddenly barged into the room again with a box full of comic books.



“Guess what I saw in the attic yesterday?” He chirped with an intimidating grin.



Dru’s face instantly paled the moment her eyes zeroed in on the comic books that Spike gave her years ago. “What the bloody hell are you doing with them?! Those are mine!”


“No, they’re my comic books now!” Derek retorted. “I want these instead as payment for that bet we had days ago.”


“Fine! Just take them!” Dru told Derek alarmingly.


She grabbed the box and shoved it against his 15-year old brother, hoping that Spike didn’t remember the comic book that he had lent her years ago. If he did it, it would have been awkward since not only did she forget to give it back, she was also fairly certain that she left Buffy’s letter in there, the same place where she found it.


“So, you and Derek are still not getting along,” Spike stated the obvious.


“You know how kids are and comic books.”



“Can’t really blame him. I know I used spend so much time reading them. The Eight wonder is my all time fa-“


“Right!” Dru cut in frantically, “You know I think we should go now. Daddy doesn’t like it when people miss his welcoming speech.”


Intent on steering Spike away as far she could from her house, Dru had practically dragged the bleached blonde by his elbow to the driveway. Dru doesn’t like the idea of arriving in the party with Spike’s old Desoto. Seriously, not in the beautiful Armani gown that she was wearing! She was going to suggest that they take her jaguar when she saw the Blue convertible Porsche that was parked right outside her house. Her eyes went wide.


“Wow Spike! This is gorgeous! You shouldn’t have bothered to impress me. Renting this baby must’ve costs you a lot of money.”



“Actually…” Spike was about to tell her that he owned the car, but the thought of having to explain to her how he happened to own one in the first place made him think otherwise.



The truth was he doesn’t really care what Dru thinks. He supposed that her surprised reaction would be really a fun thing to watch once she learns that he actually owns the hotel that they were going to.


**********

Their vehicle arrived along with the very long line of luxurious cars that pulled up at the entrance. Several heads turned their way as Spike came out of the car with Dru.


The guy definitely knows how to carry himself, Dru mused to herself as she saw him handed the key to the valet and gave him a tip.


“What a load of surprise you’re turning out to be today!” Dru beamed.


“I just want to make sure he takes real good care of it, pet.”


“Right, since it’s only a rental. But wouldn’t it be nice if you actually owned one.”


“Maybe if win the lottery.” He chuckled lightly.


“May I say that you look really awesome in that suit, Mr. Giles,” Snyder’s voice emerged from the side just as they stepped into the building. He immediately offered the two a glass of wine.


“Oh you two know each other?” Dru asked as she accepted the drink.


Eager to make amends with his future boss, Snyder answered apprehensively. “Of course, ma’am since I happen to work for him after all.”


Spike almost choked on the wine he just sipped.


“What he meant was I worked WITH him, isn’t that right, Snyder?” he said, giving the manager a secret look. “I worked part time as a ummm bus boy here last summer.”


“Right. A bus boy.” Snyder agreed, sneaking a questioning look at Spike. “Would you like for me to escort you to the ballroom, sir?”


“Certainly.”


***************

“Daddy, you remember our neighbor Spike, right?”


Mr. Quentin Travers Thompson eyed Spike from head to toe with pure distaste. He doesn’t know what his daughter sees in the boy. While it is true that he’s a quite a handsome young man especially when he’s dressed up under the pretense of being rich even when he’s not. If he had his way, he’d rather have Drusilla end up with someone like Riley who every one knows came from a very wealthy family.


“Yes, yes.” The older man replied, ignoring Spike’s extended hand. “I’m assuming that it’s your first time to attend a function so extravagant as this one.”


“You’re absolutely right, sir.” Spike held back his look of amusement. During those times that he had dated Dru, there wasn’t a single moment where he had passed on an opportunity to throw an insulting remark his way. Spike could practically imagine the old man’s jaw dropping to the floor once he revealed the extent of his financial status. Wouldn’t that be so priceless?


“I see. Well, the only thing I could advise you is to try not to knock down anything expensive and you’ll absolutely get by.”


“Daddy…” Dru warned.


“Well I’ll see you later darling.” Quentin gave a quick kiss on Dru’s cheek. “Got some guests to entertain and nice seeing you again uhhhmmm Mike.”


“It’s Spike, sir,” The bleached blonde corrected.


“Right.” Dru’s dad drawled nonchalantly as his attention got quickly caught-up with another guest who had arrived.



“Daddy’s just nervous about the party,” Dru asked, wondering slightly why Spike looked unaffected by her dad’s insulting remarks. “Care to dance, Spike?”


“It’s alright. I’m already used to your dad’s banter.” Spike said, his eyes catching the site of a very large cake on the way to the dance floor. “That is definitely one very large cake!”



“Thank you, I made that myself!” said the blonde chef who suddenly appeared from behind them. “How come you didn’t tell us you were coming, Mr. Giles? We would have prepared something really nice for you.”



“Nice one, Andrew! But as I told you on the phone a while ago that I wouldn’t be able to bus for you.” Spike laughed nervously “So why don’t run along and tell Mr. Gunn that I won’t be working tonight since I’m a guest of Ms. Thompson here.”



“Come on let’s dance, pet.” Spike told Dru, leaving the very bewildered looking Andrew to himself.



“My, that was a little awkward and embarrassing.” Dru stated as she put her arms around him and started to sway to the song. “Of all the hotels you would’ve gotten for a summer job, you had to pick this one.”


“I’m sorry about that,” he apologized.


“It’s all right, Spike. I don’t really care who you are or where you’re from. What matters is that now you’re here with me.” She said as she buried her face into his neck.


Spike closed his eyes and willed his mind to focus on the girl in his arms. He left his house with full intent to get lost in Dru’s charms, since Buffy had never once left his mind ever since he last saw her in school the other day. Her face had constantly haunted him everywhere he went. Every time his eyes would catch a sight of a long wavy blonde haired girl his breath would get caught in his throat and left him a feel of emptiness within his heart.



Looking over the bar, his eyes widened when he saw Fred, Andrew, Jonathan and Charlie giving him a disapproving look. He quickly averted his gaze and tried to block out their faces as well. God! How could he forget Buffy when all these people seemed to serve as a big reminder of the special times that he had spent with her!



“Man, this is wrong.” Charlie told them.


“I don’t like the girl he’s with.” Andrew remarked.


“Maybe they broke up.” Fred said.


“But they looked so in love.” Jonathan pointed out.


“No they don’t.” Andrew retorted.


“Not them, dummy,” Jonathan explained. “Spike and Buffy.”


Andrew sighed. “Oh yeah our very own Anakin and Amedala.”


“So,” Charles started, turning his attention to Fred. “Did you call damage control yet?”


“As a matter of fact I did.” Fred replied with a twinkle in her HIS? eye. “We’re lucky that he’s actually upstairs giving one of his clients a tour.”


“We just hope that it works though.” Jonathan stated.


************

Two minutes later, the song ended and another one began. As the intro to the song “What Hurts The Most” started to play, memories of him and Buffy dancing in this very same ballroom began flashing back inside his head.


I can take the rain on the roof of this empty house
That don't bother me
I can take a few tears now and then and just let them out
I'm not afraid to cry every once in a while
Even though going on with you gone still upsets me
There are days every now and again I pretend I'm ok
But that's not what gets me





What the bloody hell’s wrong with me? The girl obviously doesn’t love him like she said, if she really did, she wouldn’t have cheated on him. And there’s no coming back from that. But what if he’s wrong?


What hurts the most
Was being so close
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
And never knowing
What could have been
And not seeing that loving you
Is what I was tryin' to do



Well he couldn’t be wrong since he saw it with his very own eyes. But what did he actually see? Bloody hell, could it be possible that it was all a misunderstanding and his own insecurity had clouded his better judgment once again?


It's hard to deal with the pain of losing you everywhere I go
But I'm doin' It
It's hard to force that smile when I see our old friends and I'm alone
Still Harder
Getting up, getting dressed, livin' with this regret
But I know if I could do it over
I would trade give away all the words that I saved in my heart
That I left unspoken


No, it can’t be.
Somewhere in his mind is a stubborn part of him that wanted to believe he was right. Why? Because if he just allows that tiny possibility that he was wrong sink in, then…Oh God…


What hurts the most
Is being so close
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
And never knowing
What could have been
And not seeing that loving you
Is what I was trying to do



************
Meanwhile at the bar, the crew watched as Spike ushered Dru to a corner.


“And the show begins.” Charlie said.


“Thanks for the help and oh I love how you worked your pitch with the high notes.” Fred said.

“Glad that I could be of assistance.” Lorne remarked proudly, drinking from his wine glass.

************
“Dru, there’s something I need to tell you.” He said as he ushered her to a corner.


“You look so sad, Spike. What is it?”


“I’m sorry but I have to go, pet.” He finally told her.


Dru looked at him alarmingly “Where are you going?”


“This.” He pointed between them. “Is not working. I thought that this would somehow help me forget about her but…”


“You can’t do this to me. Buffy cheated on you, Spike!”


“I have to go to her.”


“Damn it! There’s absolutely nothing I could do make you mine, is it! I did all possible things I can to…”


“What did you mean that you did all you can?”


Dru’s eyes widened at her slip. “I wasn’t really making any sense. Probably had too much too drink.”


“Damn it Dru, I don’t have time to play any of your games. …”


Dru cut in. “I really don’t know what you’re talking about.”


“Dru,” Spike gripped her by the shoulders and stared into her eyes. “If you’re keeping something from me, I think it’s best that you tell me right now…if you really cared about me at all.”



Sensing her defeat, Dru finally blurted out, “I made a deal with Riley.”


“What did you say?”


“We fooled you, Spike. Made you think that Buffy cheated on you when all that she did was go to Riley to break it off with him.”


It was like he’d been doused with cold water. His jaw clenched and unclenched as he closed his eyes in frustration. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Dru and Riley did this to him! To them! It had been one of the oldest tricks in the book, and he couldn't believe he fell for it!


“Well it’s just pathetic isn’t it, that after all you’ve done, you still wound up with nothing.”


“Spike, I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I just want us to be together that’s all,” Dru told him desperately.



“You are one sick bint! You don’t want me. You just think you do because you hate the idea of me with another girl! You fooled me once but you’re not-”


“Twice…”


“What did you say?” Spike stared at her with utter disbelief.


“Twice.” Dru repeated, “Years ago…(swallows hard) I hid the bloody letter.”


“What Bloody letter?”



TBC


A/N : Okay, I know that I promised to post four chapters last week and I’m really sorry. Anyway, please let me know how this chappy went. I would really really like to hear what you think of this sudden development in this story since the next update is going to be pretty much the end of it.


Once again, thanks to Maricel for working with me throughout the story :-)