Spike had been standing behind the doors to the Bronze for almost half an hour. He'd been on his way to Willie's, ready to drown his sorrows away in the power of liquor but had eventually found himself halting at the club's main entrance.


He had left his house with his mind in complete shambles. His memory kept on going back to what Xander had told him previously when they were playing pool.


" You've been in love with her since you were kids, man. You can't just let her get away. Isn't it time that you fight for her?"


"I wish it's that easy." He told him. "Truth is, I'm not even sure if what I feel for her is just pure brotherly love or something else entirely."


"Brotherly? " Xander had scoffed. " Last time I checked, a brother does not usually have wet dreams that included their sister."



He had given Xander a stern look then but found himself not capable of any comeback. His friend was right after all.


Truth to tell, what he and Buffy had in fact, started out like something akin to an innocent sibling relationship. He knew he that he truly cared about her but never once thought his feeling went beyond brotherly love.


Things had always been that way between them until one time when he was 16 years old.



Flashback


Typical day for the two best of friends. Buffy and Spike were up in the tree house. He was helping her out with her English essay and things got pretty out of hand when Buffy started him teasing about his poems. And like most other times when they would throw banter and insults at one other , a big wrestle fight would usually follow. Things would have probably been usual if only Buffy didn't leave her bottled water beside his latest compilation of poems.



When Buffy's right foot stepped back just enough to topple it over, everything else went a bit haywire from there.


"Oooops!"


"Oh no. Look at what you did you silly bint!"


"Don't be such a baby. You just need to let them dry and you'll have them good and ready in no time." She tried to reassure him. Hesitantly, they both peered at what's left of his now fully drenched work of art. " Or not.'"


"Summers! "


"It's actually your fault! You sealed your poem’s fate the moment you attacked me.” Buffy reasoned.


“You ruin a guy’s most precious work and somehow he still ended-up being blamed for it.” He said sarcastically. “Aint that so typical.”


“ You should’ve known I was only kidding."


"So you admit that they were good then?"


"Maybe.” She looked at him tentatively and finally asked, “ Are these the ones that you’ve been planning on giving her?”


"Give who?"


“ Don’t mock me, Spike. I know that you made those poems for Drusilla."


Spike hesitated in answering, only because he'd found the reaction that he got from her so very amusing.


"I knew it! I knew you were crushing on our neighbor! I can’t believe that you’re actually writing poems about that scary looking girl."


"Does it matter? They’re ruined now thanks to you. You should've just kept your bloody nose to yourself. " He told her crossly as he turned about fully and began climbing down from the tree house.


It took several minutes before Buffy found the courage to follow after him. Letting out a big heavy sigh, her guilty eyes spotted him sitting on one of the chairs by the backyard.


"Will?" She sat closely beside him. "I...I'm sorry. I know your poems mean so much to you. I wish I could take back what I just did."


There was a long pause before she heard him reply." You’re a real pain in the ass, you know that? “ He turned to face her. “ You do realize what I have to do now."


"What?" She asked , her mind momentarily got lost when his thumb went up to caress the side of her cheek. His lips now were merely inches away from hers.


"This." He said as his other hand appeared from nowhere. Before Buffy could do anything, Spike dumped a big bucket of water on top of her head.


Buffy let out a big yelp. "Why you little weasel! You are so gonna pay for this." But instead of retaliating, Buffy unexpectedly, joined him in his hearty laughter.


“So are we okay now? " she asked sweetly.


"I guess we are, luv."


" But what about your poems, Spike?”


“No worries, pet. I was just playing with you. The poems that you saw may be handwritten but lucky for me, I was actually able to store almost all of them inside my computer weeks ago. I just added one verse this morning when I woke-up and that’s pretty much it. ”


“Really? And you’re not just saying that to ease my worries?”


“I swear on my nana’s grave.” He winked at her.


When Buffy sighed in relief, that fleeting act alone had unintentionally drawn his attention to the sudden rise and fall of her bosom. And what he saw almost had his eyes fall out of its sockets.


Buffy wasn't wearing any bra beneath her white tank top. Bloody Hell! And with the way that she was soaked, she might as well have been sitting there topless in front of him for he could very well see the swell of her breasts and the outline of her pink taut nipples.


A strangled moan managed to escape his lips.


"Did you say something?"


"Nothing", Oh Bugger. Even the pitch of his voice came out higher than he had intended.

Her breasts he realized weren't nearly as big as ones that he usually saw in his playboy magazines but were round and ample enough to his own liking. His sixteen-year old body has experienced so many major hard-ons before but never had he felt himself grow so hard like he did at that very moment. It was as if he was going to die from the pain of having to push intensely from the inside of his rough denim.



Buffy on the other hand had been completely oblivious to his ongoing predicament. She was too occupied with the story she was sharing to notice anything else. Oh God! What was she talking about? Something about water and Xander Other than that he has no clue. She quite lost him the minute her arms went up to tie up her soaked hair to which had caused her breasts to push even more against her top. He gulped. Buffy is so damn sexy! Why hadn’t he noticed this before?


His eyes went wide. What the hell? He just used the words sexy and Buffy in the same sentence!


End of flashback





And it was on that very moment that Spike finally saw Buffy in a different light. For the first time in his life, William Giles realized that his one and only best friend in the world is in fact, a girl. A truly wonderful, kind-hearted and SEXY girl.


From then on, his outlook on their whole relationship had mostly changed. Ever since that tiny incident happened, things had been pretty awkward for the bleached blonde.


Among other things, he realized that he could never again bring himself to engage into any of their snugfest without feeling like some sort of perv.


It was a a good thing though that he never once heard Buffy complained every time he would get up to the bathroom in the middle of the night. If it even bothered her at all that he was already gone by the time that she woke up, she certainly didn’t show. There are some things that are truly damn uncontrollable when it comes to a certain part of a man's anatomy. It's even worse during times that he would wake-up from a very sensual dream where the leading lady happens to be the tiny young blonde who's sleeping soundly in his arms.


And just when he thought things couldn't get any worse, he began to notice the other things too. Like the way the sun shines amazingly against her honey blond hair, how addictive the sound of laughter could be, her bewitching smile and the intoxicating smell of vanilla on her skin.


It didn't take much time at all for him to realize that at that time, he was slowly falling deeply in love with his best friend.


He had tried to stop it at first.


He thought he had a temporary solution to his problem when he tried to set his interest upon another girl. The girl that he met just a few days after his mum's death. Even though he liked Dru even then, he only thought of her and her goth gang as an outlet for rebellion. He sought her out two years later during the time when his feelings for Buffy had intensified. But his plan has eventually backfired when Drusilla was able to see through him. After two years of their on and off relationship, Dru finally dumped him for good. Dru had told him that he tasted like ashes and every time that she would look at him, all she could see was HER. Buffy.


So why couldn't he tell Buffy what her truly feels?


For a long time, he had kept everything to himself. What they already have is somewhat convenient for both of them. To him, going beyond their platonic relationship would be putting their entire friendship at risk. There's a big possibility after all that their newly found relationship will not work. Just like what happened to Willow and Xander. If that happens, where would it leave them then? Then there's the question whether his feelings for her will be returned or not. It is likely that she may never ever think of him the way he thought about her.


But now that he's about to lose her to Riley...


Isn't time that time you fight for her, Xander's words echoed in his mind.


After the long silent debate inside his head, Spike finally made his decision and stepped inside the Bronze. His anxious blue eyes immediately scanned the area for some familiar faces as the band on the stage started to play a slow and unfamiliar tune. Almost immediately, he spotted HER.



TBC

A/N : Again, many thanks to all of your reviews. Thanks so much for urging me to keep writing :-)