Chapter 2

Buffy entered her house, with a bright smile on her face. She found her parents in the kitchen and placed a kiss on her father’s cheek.

“Morning, Daddy,” she said cheerily.

He smiled in return. “Were you over there bothering that boy again?”

Buffy shrugged. “I would never do that. Besides, William was already awake. He really knows how to spoil my fun,” she replied with a pout.

Joyce looked at Hank, then focused on her daughter. She knew it was time. “Honey, there’s something your father and I need to talk to you about.”

Buffy’s smile faded at her mother’s serious tone. “What’s up?” she wondered.

Hank decided to be the one to tell her, knowing that nothing would be the same again.


* * * * *


Buffy’s mood drastically changed from happy to distress over the weekend. She walked into school on Monday morning and headed to her locker. She was about to put her books inside, but someone came up behind her and lifted her off of the ground. Buffy squealed in surprise.

“Will, put me down!” she exclaimed through her laughter.

Spike did as he was told and planted a hard kiss on her mouth once he set her back on the floor. “Sorry, got carried away.”

“You always get carried away. Do you have to greet me like that every morning?”

He shrugged and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “I just get excited when I see you. I haven’t seen you since Saturday when you rudely snuck into my room. I think that’s the longest we’ve ever been apart. Don’t do it again,” he told her firmly.

Buffy looked away from his gaze.

Spike tilted his head to study her better, concerned by her reaction. “You okay, love?”

She only nodded and kept her head down.

He wouldn’t have that and raised her chin with his finger, so she was once again looking at him. “What’s wrong?”

Buffy just shook her head and forced a smile on her face. “It’s nothing,” she replied.

Spike wasn’t easily convinced. “I’ve known you forever, Buffy. I think I would know if something was bothering you. Is it Finn? Did he do something to you? If he did, I’ll kick his sorry…”

Buffy cut him off by clapping her hand over his mouth. “Did anyone ever tell you that you talk way too much?” She removed her hand and took a deep breath. “It has nothing to do with Riley. We have to get to class, Spike. I’ll tell you about it later.” Buffy tried to walk away, but he grabbed her arm.

“You’re not dying, are you?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “You always have to make everything seem so dramatic. Let’s get to class, Blondie Bear.” She laughed at the groan that escaped from his throat.

“I bloody hate it when you call me that.”


* * * * *


“And they’re at it again. Do these two ever come up for air?”

Willow smiled as she stared at the two blonde’s across from her, then addressed Xander when he spoke. “I think it’s cute that they can’t keep their hands off of each other. You know how hard it was for Spike to be secretly in love with Buffy and have to watch her with her other boyfriends. I’m so happy they’re finally together.”

Xander nodded. “Yeah, all happy for the Buffster and bleach boy, but why do they always have to broadcast their make out sessions at lunch? There are other people around.”

Willow shrugged. “I don’t think it really matters. Everyone in school pretty much already knows they’re a hot couple.”

“That may be so, but I would like to be able to eat my food and not worry about Buffy gagging on his tongue.”

Spike finally pulled his lips away to glare at Xander. “Did you think that just because I was busy snogging my girl I wouldn’t hear you? You’re just jealous because you’re not getting any, Harris.”

“Hey, I take offense to that. I get plenty, just not at the moment.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Right, you’re a real Romeo. We’ll be going somewhere more private. Catch you later, Red,” he said to Willow, then pulled Buffy up and out of the cafeteria.

She finally spoke once they were in the deserted hallway. “Why do you have to tease him all the time? We know that you love Xander. I’m even sometimes jealous of the two of you.”

Spike grinned. “Yes, but he knows I see other people. Xander’s my best mate, it’s what we do. He doesn’t take any of it personally. Now, where were we?” he said and attacked her mouth once again, breaking away after a few seconds to trail his lips down her smooth neck.

Buffy moaned when she felt his tongue caress her skin.

“Bloody hell, I can’t stop touching you. Nothing has ever felt this good before,” he whispered in her ear.

Buffy nodded in agreement, but was finding it hard to form any words. She dreaded the news that she still had to tell him, but right now, everything was perfect.


* * * * *


“All right, I got my tux for the sodding Prom. It will all be worth it when I see you in your dress,” Spike told her with a smirk.

They were sitting on his bed and trying to get some studying done, but Buffy couldn’t seem to focus on anything.

“Hello, earth to Summers. Are you in there?”

She finally looked away from her books at his question. “Sorry, did you say something?”

“You didn’t hear a word I said? I’ve been talking nonstop for the last five minutes. Do you think I just like the sound of my voice or something?”

She was about to respond, but he held a finger up.

“Don’t answer that.”

Buffy sighed and closed her book. “What were you talking about?”

“I was going on about getting a tux for the dance. I figured you would be happy and smothering me with kisses right now.”

For a moment, Buffy actually forgot about the Prom. She took in a deep breath. “Actually, I changed my mind about that. I don’t really want to go. It’s just a stupid dance, anyway.”

Spike was clearly not expecting that. “Who are you and what have you done with my girlfriend?”

She rolled her eyes. “I’m being serious here. It’s just not important to me anymore.”

“You were all thrilled about it a few days ago. I refuse to believe that you could have changed your mind this fast. What’s going on?”

Buffy shrugged and glanced down at the black covers on his bed. “Nothing,” she mumbled.

Spike had about enough at this point. She was hiding something and he was going to find out what it was. “Okay, that does it.” He got off of his bed and moved over to the door, locking it and doing the same with the window. He then turned back to her. “This is how it’s going to be. You are not to leave this room, until you tell me what has been bothering you. I mean it, Buffy. I’m all for holding you hostage. You know, that could actually be exciting,” he finished with a grin.

Buffy glared at him. “You can’t keep me here against my will, Spike.”

“Oh, I think I can. You’re not going anywhere, baby. Not until you decide to talk to me.”

She stood up and marched over to him. “My parents know I’m here. I’ll just scream and Giles will let me out.”

Spike chuckled. “If you scream, he’ll just think we’re in here having sex and leave us alone. There’s no way around it, love. Just tell me what’s wrong. You always used to be able to tell me anything.”

Buffy turned around and headed for the window. She tried to get it open, but Spike was right behind her.

He grabbed her shoulders and turned her to face him, surprised to see that her eyes were wet.

Buffy lost what little control she had left and burst into tears.

Spike wrapped his arms around her, feeling even more worried.

She clutched at his shoulders and never wanted to let go.

“Buffy, you’re really starting to scare me now. Please, tell me what happened.”

She pulled away to look up at him, knowing that it was time to tell him the truth. “My dad got transferred to New York. We’re moving in a few weeks.”

And with those words said, Spike’s entire world collapsed.