Chapter 3

“Spike, please say something. I’m not used to you being so quiet,” Buffy stated to break the silence. He had yet to say anything and she was really starting to get worried.

He finally shook his head and came back to reality. “No, you can’t be moving. Okay, we have big plans in the next few years and that would just ruin everything. It’s crazy for them to think about moving you in your junior year of high school. Your whole life is here. What’s in New York? You’ve never been out of California. You don’t know anyone there. So, this can’t happen. I won’t let it happen.”

Buffy noticed the tears in his eyes and wrapped her arms around his waist.

Spike held her tighter and buried his face in her neck. “You can’t leave me,” he whispered. “I’m nothing without you, baby.”

Buffy pulled away to look at him. “That’s not true, Will. You would have been fine without me.”

He shook his head again. “There has to be another way around this. You should talk to your parents about it; make them see that this isn’t the right thing to do.”

“I already talked with them after my dad told me. He’s getting transferred and there’s nothing that we can do. You know how important his work is. I could never ask him to give that up. I know this sucks now, but maybe it won’t be so bad. I would only need to be there until I turn eighteen, then I’ll come back to you. We can still keep in touch. You can come and visit me. I know you always wanted to see New York. We can call and write every day. Nothing has to change.”

Spike took a step away from her. He knew that what she said made sense, but it still would never be the same. “It will all change, Buffy. We won’t live next door to each other anymore. Who am I going to see now when I look out my window? I couldn’t bear the thought of you being so far away from me. You know long distance relationships almost never work out.”

She took his hand in hers. “We can make it work. It would only be for about two years. We’ll still do everything that we planned after high school. We’ll go to college together and get married right after that. We’ll have the house with the white, picket fence and the two point five kids. Maybe even a dog or a cat. See, everything will still happen.”

Spike took in everything she said, but he was still worried. “What if two years is too long? New York will probably have a lot of temptation. What if you meet someone else and forget about me?”

Buffy shook her head adamantly. “That could never happen. I love you and that will never change. You’ve been with me for as long as I can remember, Will. I could never want anyone else. What we have is forever. No matter what happens, we’ll always find a way back to each other.”

He shed a few more tears and held her tight against him, kissing the top of her head. “I love you so much, Buffy. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

Buffy cried more tears of her own. She just held him and whispered soothing words to him, hoping that they would be able to get through this.


* * * * *


Spike and Buffy were sitting on his bed two weeks later. She would be leaving in another week and they wanted to spend all of their remaining time together.

She already told the news to her friends. They took it hard, but were willing to accept it. They wanted to throw a going away party for her, but Buffy figured that would just make her feel even more depressed.

“Do you remember when we first met?” he said suddenly.

Buffy just stared at him and stayed silent, knowing that he had something to get off of his chest.

He took her silence as his cue to go on. “I knew from that first moment that I loved you.”

Buffy smiled fondly. “You were only six.”

Spike smiled in return and continued his story. “I may have been young, but I still know what I was feeling. I remember it was the first day that we moved here. I didn’t want to leave London, so I was sulking and staring out of the window. That was when I saw your mum pull up to the house next to ours. You came out of the car wearing a blue dress and your hair up in pigtails. I was mesmerized right there. My mum caught me staring and wanted to know what had my attention. I pointed to you and asked her if you were an angel. She smiled and told me that you were just a very pretty, little girl. She took me to meet you later that night and well, the rest is history.”

Buffy gazed at him in shock, tears forming in her eyes. “You never told me that.”

He shrugged. “I didn’t want to sound like an even bigger ponce.”

Buffy rested her head against his shoulder. “I can’t believe you remembered all of that.”

Spike ran his fingers through her hair. “I remember everything about our time together. I’ve loved you my whole life, Buffy. I honestly don’t remember a time when I didn’t.”

“Yeah, and it only took you about eleven years to tell me,” she replied.

“Well, there never seemed to be a good enough time. If you weren’t with Captain Cardboard, you were with some other wanker. I have to say, your taste has really improved.”

She smacked him playfully on the chest. “What makes you think I’m not still with Riley on the side?”

Spike growled and attacked her with his fingers.

Buffy laughed and tried to push him away. “Spike, quit it! I was only kidding! Okay, I give already! Just stop with the torture!”

He stopped tickling and gazed down at her flushed face. “God, I’m going to miss you.”

She caressed his cheek. “No sad thoughts, remember? We’re supposed to be making this last week the best one ever. I really don’t think I can handle crying anymore.”

Spike nodded and planted a soft kiss on her lips. “Right, no sad thoughts. I have something for you,” he said, changing the subject.

Buffy instantly sat up. “Ooh, I like presents.”

He grinned at her excitement and pulled a long box out of his drawer.

She took the box from him and opened it, gasping at the heart shaped locket that was inside. “William, it’s so beautiful.”

Spike sighed in relief. “So, you like it then?”

She nodded and gave him a quick hug. “I love it, thank you.”

He nodded as well and opened the locket for her. “I already put a picture inside.”

She was finding it hard to hold the tears back when she glanced down at the photo that he chose. “Is that the one of us at the carnival?”

“Yeah, our first date. I couldn’t resist.”

Buffy looked up at him. “I didn’t think you actually kept those pictures.”

He tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. “I keep everything, love. I still have a picture of us that my mum just had to take on our first day of second grade.”

Buffy gave a sad smile. “I miss your mom.”

He agreed. “There isn’t a day when I don’t miss her. She adored you, Buffy. You were the daughter that she never had.”

Buffy felt more tears cloud her vision and just handed him the necklace. “Could you put it on me?”

Spike nodded and took it from her, placing it around her neck. “Beautiful,” he whispered, touching the heart. “All you have to do is look at this whenever you feel lonely. That way, I’ll always be with you.”

Buffy wrapped her arms around him.

He did the same and breathed in the scent of her, knowing that this last week would be the hardest of his life.