The night nurse slipped into the darkened hospital room, her last stop before she left for the night. Silently approaching the nearest figure, she gently shook the man awake. He rolled to face her, blinking owlishly.

“It’s five in the morning; the doctor will be in sometime after eight, and I thought you’d like to be prepared,” she said softly. The bleary eyed man nodded his understanding and thanked her gruffly. With a kindly smile, the old nurse left the lovers to their embrace.

***

Tim ran a frustrated hand through his hair. They were swamped. They were almost at capacity with all the refugees they’d taken in last night…and that wasn’t even all of them. The several hundred people and cult members the FBI had liberated the day before had been divided between four hospitals, with a fifth on stand by for overflow. It was absolutely ridiculous, and they had borne the brunt of the influx, being the closest hospital to the site. Irritated, he glanced down at his list. Next stop, one Elizabeth Summers.

Tim perfunctorily knocked on the door, before sticking his head it. “Hello I’m…oh.” He looked dumbly at the two men in the room. Twins. One was lounging topless on the rumpled hospital bed, and the other was tying his shoes. They both had bed head and rumpled clothes on their bodies.

“I’m looking for Elizabeth Summers…” he trailed off uncertainly.

“Buffy,” one of the men said disinterestedly.

“Right, OK, Buffy Summers. Is she…” The bathroom door opened and a harrowed but rested blonde came out. Time took a moment to admire her. She was a bit underfed, but all in all, she looked pretty good. And he could practically feel the stares of the two men in the room.

“Hi, I’m Tim, your on-call nurse. I’ll be assisting your doctor. He’ll be here in a few minutes to go over your blood tests and ask a few questions; routine stuff for this situation. We just want to make sure you understand that your answers will not be shared with the FBI unless you witnessed a crime against someone else. We have to report that. But what you tell the doctor is covered under doctor-patient confidentiality.” Buffy nodded, tightening her arms around her waist. She wanted her Twinlets near her. She was still coming to terms with them actually being here. As if reading her thoughts, strong arms settled around her and a small kiss fluttered against her neck. Time cleared his throat and continued. “You’ll also need to talk to a therapist. It’s provided by the FBI, and it’s required for all kidnapping victims. You’ll also be referred to a few therapists in your area who will work with you for free should you so desire. And if you have any questions, I’m your man.”

Biffy gave him a wan smile, still wary of being in the presence of someone she didn’t know.

“If I think of any, I’ll call you,” she assured the man.

“Great. Then the doctor will be with you shortly.” Buffy felt an immediate flood of relief when the nurse left. She leaned against the hard body behind her and took a deep, steadying breath.

“You’re holding up beautifully, luv,” Spike murmured in her ear. She smiled and enjoyed just being with him. She turned in his embrace and kissed him, still marveling at her newly restored freedom. “Anything you need, kitten?”

“I would love a diet coke,” she said with a rueful grin. She found that she now had a list of cravings a mile long, and a diet coke was high on it. Spike chuckled, giving her a quick hug.

“One diet coke coming up!” he announced. When he was gone, Will took his place, guiding Buffy back to the bed.

“You really are amazing,” he whispered with sincerity. He watched her blush, feeling the familiar stirs of arousal within him. “Absolutely amazing.” He just leaned down to kiss her when a knock echoed through the room, followed by a young, good-looking doctor.

“Buffy Summers? I’m Ben, I'll be your doctor today. How are you feeling?”

“Been better,” Buffy said with a hint of a smile. Ben grinned back widely. This girl…there was something special about her, he could tell.

“So did Tim tell you what to expect?” Buffy nodded, her blonde hair framing her face. “Good. I don’t have all your results back yet, we’ve got a bit of a back up, but if the young man would like to wait outside for a moment, we can get this over with.”

“He stays,” Buffy said without hesitation, her grip on Will tightening. He gave her a reassuring squeeze. Nothing could make him leave her alone.

“Ms. Summers...” Ben trialed off uncertainly, eyeing the protective blonde man around his patient.

“It’s fine,” Buffy said wearily, “he’s my boyfriend. I’d tell him anyways.” She gave Ben a weak half smile, burrowing further into Will’s embrace. Ben shifted uncomfortably, still filled with reservations. He met the man’s piercing blue eyes for an instant before he realized he wouldn’t get Buffy alone.

“Alright. You do realize some of these questions will be quite personal, and may deal with, ah, sensitive subjects?” he hedged. He saw the man’s gaze narrow on him and felt claustrophobic. There was something scary and primitive in that gaze.

“Yes. But I’d rather get it out in the open,” Buffy said firmly. With one last nervous glance at Buffy’s boyfriend, Ben started his litany of questions.

“Were you given any drugs?”

“Yes. I think they gave me drugs that made me sleep, and a powerful hallucinogen during the first part of my…stay." Ben nodded and jotted down a note. Buffy wondered if that meant something good or bad.

“Were you raped?” Buffy winced at the detached way he asked that question. She heard Will’s sharp intake of breath and realized how he’d interpreted her flinch.

“No,” she said. She glanced as Will and read the unvoiced question there. She gave him a small smile, reassuring them that her answer was truthful. He relaxed marginally.

“Ms. Summers, do you remember the time of your last period?” Ben asked, the business-like mask falling into place.

“Yeah, I had one in the...that place. They locked me in a room with the other women because we were ‘unclean.’ We bonded.” Buffy’s attempt at flippancy fell flat.

“Was your flow abnormally heavy?” he asked. Buffy felt herself grow cold and reflexively clutched Will’s hands.

“I…what…yes. Please, no! This can’t…I can’t deal with…oh, God.” Her voice was thin and reedy, and she feared the worst. Ben glanced up in alarm. Buffy slid off the bed, her eyes glazed and unfocused, her breathing rapid, and she let loose a terrified, keening wail.

Spike was a few doors down when Buffy’s cries reached him. Without thinking, he dropped everything in his hands and raced towards the tortured cries of his mate. He growled at the doctor by the door, who jerked away from him in surprise.

“What did you do to her?” he demanded, uncaring of the lack of logic behind his words, but he needed to lash out at something.

“I...I’m sorry,” was all Ben could say. “I didn’t realize—“ Ice blue eyes narrowed on him, and Ben thought for a moment the man would attack him. But then Spike slid to the floor, wrapping himself around Buffy, her distress echoing through him. Her hand blindly reached for his, and he winced at the crushing grip. He looked at his brother, searching the man whose face was almost identical to his own for an answer, but saw only an intense pain and sadness etched there.

“What the bloody hell is going on?” Spike growled.

“Miss Summers, please!” Ben said earnestly. He crouched on the ground and forced Buffy to look at him. “It’s nothing…nothing like that. You-you weren’t pregnant, you didn’t miscarry. It seems the cult had a tendency to lace their food with hormones and mild sedatives. Some are trying to increase or encourage fertility, keeping their numbers up. Some women have a very strong adverse reaction to it,” he hastened to reassure. Buffy felt her body go limp at the thought, though her breathing remained rapid. For a second, she’d thought…

“I’m sorry, I didn’t realize how that sounded,” he said lamely. Will shot him an incredulous look and Ben sighed. “Look, I have a few more test results coming, so how about I come back in a couple of hours?” Will nodded his assent and Ben escaped from the room, filled with tension and emotion, kicking himself all the way. Of all the stupid things to say… His attention was caught by a well-dressed couple arguing with the duty nurse.

“She is my daughter! You cannot stop me!” An irate woman with light blonde hair pushed past the nurse, a solemn man following behind her. Ben stepped in front of the woman to try and talk to her, but the woman merely swerved around him. He spun on his heal and caught up with her, desperate to give the three grieving people some time alone after his royal fuck up.

“Mrs. Summers?” He hazard, eying the woman. The woman broke stride as stared suspiciously at Ben, taking in his name tag and doctor’s jacket.

“Yes?” Her tone was clipped and suspicious.

“I’m your daughter’s physician, and I need you to please listen to me.” Without a word, Joyce Summers started for her daughter’s sickroom. She could hear the desperate cries, muffled by the closed door, but still audible. Her baby was hurt and she had to get to her! This meddling doctor would not be allowed to interfere with that.

“Mrs. Summers! You don’t understand, you need to--“ he reached out to stop her, but she elbowed him in the stomach--“oof! Mrs. Summers, they need...” But he was too late. Joyce Summers barged into the room, her eyes burning with hatred at the two men that were holding her only child.

“What have you done to her?” she demanded. “Let her go!” Joyce took an involuntary step back as two eyes, filled with unmitigated rage and hatred, assaulted her. She heard a distinct growl, taking another step back, fearing an attack from the out-of-control men in front of her.

“Get out,” Spike growled, seeing red.

“How dare you speak to m—“

“GET. OUT!”

“My daughter—“

“You gave up any right to call her that when you sold her to those maniacs,” Will’s chilling voice cut in. He was calm and quite and deadly serious.

“Mom?” Buffy asked, her eyes wide and pleading, begging her mother to deny Will’s words. Will cringed when he realized that in the chaos of last night, they hadn’t told her the betrayal Joyce, Hank, and Xander had committed. “Mommy?”

“Buffy…we were just trying to help you, protect you. We thought you needed time to see how wrong it is to be with THEM, and these people said they could help, that they could provide support and lead you to the right way…” The room fell silent as Buffy, blank faced, slowly stood up.

“YOU BITCH!” Joyce wasn’t sure whether she felt the words or the jaw-bruising slap Buffy punctuated her words with more. Stunned, she brought one hand slowly to her face where her daughter had struck her. Hank watched the entire proceedings with his stoic attorney’s face present, never uttering a word. “You...how could you? You’re my MOTHER. You’re supposed to LOVE me! Not send me to some prison when they brain wash me, give me drugs, and torture me! You…they…you almost killed me! Do you know what they did to me? The drugs, the torture, the abuse? You fucking self-centered judgmental bitch. Do you know how many of their ‘sheep’ disappeared while I was there? And you thought… I was happy, I was loved and you tried to ruin that. You couldn't just let me be happy could you, because it’s not what you wanted. I…you ca…how DARE you! What gave you the RIGHT?? Get out! Getoutgetoutgetoutgetout! I never want to see you again! Either of you!”

Will grabbed his hysterical girlfriend, guiding her away from the sight of her dumbfounded parents. He settled in a chair, pulling her into his lap and attempting to sooth the ache they both felt. Spike, however, had a few things to say to his in-laws. He took a menacing step towards a trembling Joyce, his voice low and deadly.

“If you ever, EVER, do anything like this again, I. Will. Kill. You. That is not a warning. It’s not even a threat. It’s a fucking promise. And as of right now, you are not welcome in Buffy’s life, in her presence, not even in her soddin’ Rolodex unless she specifically tells you you are. Don’t try to contact us. Don’t try to help. Don’t try anything, because you are not welcome in our lives.” With that, Spike spun on his heel and went to try and heal with the loves of his life.


A/N: OK, so, about the whole nice nurse...I was tired of them being apart and people being mean to them, and you sometimes get a cool nurse...and every 1 in 5000 or so will turn their head for Spillfy. I just put them all in one story. And it had less to do with her accepting and more to do with someone knowing the deatils of that place and letting it temper their emotions. Regardless...creative license. :D Enjoy. Oh, and there's an epilogue to CheckPoint. I'll be posting it shortly ;)

I'm also taking liberties with FBI operations; I'm too lazy to research how the actually go down and the aftermath of trauma/PTS victims, butlets just just accept my word as truth, OK?