Author's Chapter Notes:
hope this makes up for the twist, there will be one more chappy after this, you guys have been great so im gonna try to make the end the best one i can.
Buffy didn’t know what to do, she couldn’t see and breathing was becoming an issue. Where did the lights go, where did her Spike go? He wouldn’t have left her all alone by choice, that much she knew. He’d been there for her for years, always smiling, always holding her hand. Always saying the right thing. Buffy felt her stomach churn.

She sank to her knees and started to cry, “Spike help me please” she pleaded into the dark.

When she opened her eyes she gasped in shock. There in the darkness with her was a clock, it’s hands we’re spinning so fast she couldn’t keep up with it, but she knew the hands were going backwards. Slowly images began to appear behind the swirling hands and she watched in pure fascination. Images of her and Spike over the years we’re flashing by and fading into nothing and in the end there was only one image left.

She was on stage in the Bronze, singing the first song she’d written for William. It was the night they’d gotten together. She watched her younger self with curiosity as she finished singing and opened her eyes to look at William. A smile that had begun to touch her lips faded as quickly as the images on the clock had when what happened next was not the fond memory she’d cradled all these years but a disturbing picture of cruelty and injustice as she watched her younger face contort in fear while she fell from the stage.

Buffy’s crying stopped when she realised with perfect clarity exactly what she was; a coward. Unable to face the truth all this time, living in a world she had created so that she could have a perfect life. It was time to grow up.

She stood on shaky legs and looked straight into the black nothingness that surrounded her, “I’m ready” she whispered.


***

Spike stood on shaking legs, willing himself to stop his tears if only for the next thirty seconds, he’d have time to cry for the next thirty years. It was time to say goodbye. Taking a deep breath he leaned over the girl he’d watched all these years and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

He almost laughed when he imagined she’d kissed him back, ever so softly. As if his pain wasn’t great enough, now he was losing his mind. He squeezed her hand as he turned to leave the room, wanting to give Joyce some time alone with her daughter when it happened.

His eyes flew to his girls face, ‘Please don’t be losing your mind Spike’ he told himself over and over again as he placed his face next to hers and whispered “Buffy?”

Joyce’s heart broke when she saw him like that, his mind playing tricks on him. Tears welled in her eyes, she’d let her baby free, something this young man seemed incapable of doing.

His frantic screams brought her from her thoughts.

“She’s breathing, SOMEBODY HELP HER!!!”

The doctor who had left the room to give them some time rushed back in, checked her pulse and called for some nurses. Within seconds people where around her bed, checking vitals and nerve response.

Spike had been asked to leave the room, Joyce had been allowed to stay in the far corner as the professionals did their job.

When the door opened Spike’s head flew up and he stopped his frantic pacing, it was Joyce.

“Sit with me Spike” she said softly and he followed her to some nearby chairs. His eyes never left the elder Summer’s as she spoke though she seemed to be in her own faraway place.

“All these years William, all these years have passed and I came to peace with the fact that I was not going to get my baby back, but I kept her here for you. I couldn’t crush your hopes just because mine we’re gone. You are the only thing that kept me going, the only reason I had to wake up everyday. You we’re someone to take care of since I couldn’t take care of my own child anymore and I love you as much as I love her. You’re my best friend William, and you’re my hero.”

His eyes began to mist over as she spoke, he wanted to shout out the question ‘is she okay’ but he knew that this moment was important and so remained quiet and still.

Joyce cupped his cheek and looked at him with so much love his heart felt like it would burst.

“She came back for you William, you saved my girl”

She stood and pulled him into her arms before letting him go and pushing him gently towards the door. “Go, she’s asking for you”

Spike’s hands we’re shaking so badly he almost wasn’t able to open the door. The voice inside his head was frantic, ‘get a grip, you’re girls in there, your girls awake’.

When he walked into the room it was almost as if everything was in slow motion, the doctors shuffled by him, smiles on their faces, a few patted his back. He didn’t hear one word any of them said.

His feet took him to her bed, her eyes we’re closed but she was smiling softly. She was okay. He burst into tears right there and sunk to his knees, placing his head next to her pillow, not wanting to wake her if she was sleeping.

The sobs were so overwhelming that at first it didn’t register that small fingers we’re brushing softly over his head and soft ‘shhh’s’ we’re echoing through the room.

“Am I dreaming?” he heard the voice say, it was the same voice that he had heard 8 years ago only hoarse from lack of use, as if she was getting over a bad cold.

He couldn’t look up for fear of her not being there when he did.

He laughed but not out of humor, out of disbelief, “No princess...am I?”

The last part was choked out and filled with so much pain it brought tears to Buffy’s eyes.

Buffy swallowed the lump in her throat and raised his face so that he was looking at her, nodding her head no, “I dreamed about you William” she said softly.

“I dreamed about you too Buffy, every night; every night I saved you”

“I know” she said with the sweetest smile he’d ever seen. “Where you there with me?” she asked and he knew the answer even if he didn’t know the question.

“I was” he whispered back.





Okay, so theres one more chapter after this and youll all be getting your Spuffy ending, hope th s makes up for some of the trauma I seemed to have caused. Thanx to everyone who’s been there through this ;), ill try to make it the most fantabulous spuffy ending I’ve done so that you guys don’t hunt me down okay?