Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm glad you seem to be enjoying the story. Really there is nothing serious about this one, it's just supposed to be a bit of fun.
We had got to know each other really well, my mom approved and my life was perfect. Then he invited me to his house for a barbeque, a whole meet the parents thing. Only this was more a get the approval of the nutty sister thing, at least that was the way I had taken it. I knew about Dru, Willow and Xander had told me the rumours, but they where more along the lines of “crazy twin locked in attic and fed fish heads” story’s and given the way Spike spoke about his sister, I really didn’t think that was true.

Truly, he adored Dru, he told me that he thinks the world of her and that she’s going to love me. Apparently she’s a good judge of character, I was kinda screwed! Needless to say I was frantic when the day finally came.

“Will, help me!” I stressed wrapping the phone cord around my finger. “We could dress you up and send you instead!”

Willow burst out laughing, I was not impressed, I really wasn’t ready for a whole meet the parents thing.

“Sweetie, it’s just a barbeque, you’ll do fine.”

“Unless they decide to cook me on the barbeque! Oh God Willow, that’s probably why I’ve been invited! I’m going to be eaten!”

“What! Stop! Why would they do that? You’re just being silly, you’ll be fine. Go, have a great time and call me in the morning to let me know how it went” We hung up, Willow was right; I was being stupid and needed to calm down.

To be fair, he’d met my mom a number of times now and had her firmly round his little finger, I really should meet his family and anyway, how bad could it be. I mean, I’d already discussed the perfect outfit choice with mom, something simple and that doesn’t show a lot of flesh, black trousers with a pretty white top, which were sitting on my bed waiting for me.

I’ve always been late for everything, it’s one of my biggest flaws, so it says a lot when I actually turn up somewhere exactly on time. Which was probably why Spike looked at me in shock when he opened the door and saw me a good ten minutes before I had planned to be there?

His confusion gave way to a grin, “Hey pet, what are you doing being early, wasn’t expecting you for at least an hour!”

I walked into his hallway and slugged him on the arm, “I just don’t want your family to think I’m a flake”

He was rubbing his arm when I heard an ethereal voice, “Yes, you’re the sunshine my Spike needs, don’t take any of his rubbish!”

I turned to see a beautiful raven haired girl standing at the foot of the stairs a grin on her face.

“Buffy, this is my sister, Dru.” I said hi and Spike pulled me close to him “and Dru, this is my Buffy” I liked the way he said that, that I was his, I sighed and lent against him.

“Spike” Dru spoke to her brother, “mum and dad need you in the kitchen, I’ll show Buffy the garden”

Spike gave me a quick kiss and wandered off; I stood looking at Dru carefully. She was very beautiful, but she also looked very fragile, I suddenly understood how Spike could be so protective of his twin.

As it turns out all of my fears had been unfounded, Spike’s family where wonderful, you could see that they were a really strong family unit.

I said as much to Spike later that night when the rest of the family had gone inside, we sat on a blanket on the grass talking.

“Yeah, they’re great and they love you, just like I said they would”

“You really think they like me?” I questioned, still feeling a little insecure it was important to me that I make a good impression.

“They love you!” he exclaimed, “Trust me, anyway I asked dad what he thought and he said you seemed like a lovely young woman” He paused; pushing me on to my back “Enough talk about the parents” he said swooping down to kiss me. It never changed, I never got used to the feeling of him touching me, kissing me, and every time was like the first time.

After a while I stopped him, “I know you don’t wanna talk about your parents, but they are just inside”

He pulled me to my feet, “you’re right” he said, grabbing the blanket, “come with me, there’s someone else I want you to meet”

Walking through the house, Spike paused at the living room door, “Mum, I’m going to pop in to see Mystic, I won’t be home late.”

Who the hell was Mystic? Despite my constant badgering, Spike wouldn’t tell me where we where going as he pushed me into his car.

We drove out of Sunnydale a couple of minutes later and not long after we were pulling up to a ranch.

“Should we be here?” I questioned as on of the ranch hands walked over to us.

“Spike, wasn’t expecting to see you again today,” she said with a smile “Are you showing off?”

“A little bit Tina, just wanted Buffy to meet Mystic”

“Ahh, I guess she really should meet her competition for your affections!” Tina laughed and wandered off.

I watched the exchange with a bemused look on my face; Spike was obviously excited and was pulling me in the direction of a large barn. As he walked into the door, there was quite a bit of noise, I was almost like every horse in the place was saying hello.

He paused in front of a massive chestnut horse ribbing its nose, “Buffy, meet Mystic, He’s an Anglo Arab gelding, used to be a great race horse, didn’t you boy, huh?”

He turned back to me, “what do you think?”

I was shocked, he had never mentioned this before, I think I managed to hide it quite well though, “He’s beautiful” I replied honestly, “Do you ride a lot?”

“Most days” He replied smiling, “I’m glad you like him, can you ride?”

“I had a few lessons when I was younger, but I haven’t really. To be honest, it scares me a little” I confessed.

He took my hand and moved it to the large horse’s soft nose, “Here, just like this” He said gently, guiding my hand as I stroked him.

“It’s my dream you know, to train race horses. Not the easiest thing to get into, but I’m already working at it, I have a lot of the necessary stable qualifications already” His face was glowing as he described what he wanted to do with his life. I was amazed and a little jealous of his determination and focus.

When he asked me what I wanted to do, I wasn’t sure how to answer, I love to paint, my mother had a paintbrush in my hand the minute I was born, but I didn’t really know where that would take me. I discussed all this with him, concluding that I would probably end up in an art gallery or museum.

We sat back on a pile of hay, talking for hours about our hopes and dreams, and where we wanted to be in years to come.

When he finally dropped me off at home I think I floated upstairs and into bed, I was truly happy, I went to sleep with a smile on my face that night.