Kitty flew into the hotel, all a flutter. “Lex, Superman—“

“Has been seen in Sunnydale? I know. I read the paper every day, Kitty. Good to know that you’re so on top of things though.”

Kitty glared at his condescending tone. “What are you doing?” she asked him, watching as he shoved their belongings in suitcases.

“Found us a place to go. The perfect place to go.”

“Where’s that?”

“Sunnydale Inn of course.”

“But Lex, Superman and the Vampire Slayer are probably looking for us!”

“That’s right. They are. But, Superman’s been seen in Sunnydale for just about over a week now Kitty, which means he and the Slayer have more than likely already exhausted every avenue looking for me there, and will now start to turn their search outside Sunnydale. It’s a perfect time for us to go.”

“Are you sure, Lex?”

“Positive. Would I put us in harm’s way?”

Kitty narrowed her eyes. “I don’t know.”

Lex just smiled sweetly, “I have it on the highest authority that we’re safe. I have spies everywhere remember?”

Kitty smiled warily and helped Lex finish packing. It was often amazing to her that he was so arrogantly confident about his plans when they always ended blowing up in his face.

********


“Lois Lane Reporter, you say?” Giles said, sounding slightly bewildered when Buffy brought the brunette over in the morning to meet her Watcher.

Lois stepped forward, smiling and extending her hand. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Giles.”

Giles shook her hand warily, but kept his gaze focused on Buffy. “Reporter, you say?” he repeated.

Buffy nodded. “It’s okay, Giles, really. Trust me.”

“Famous last words as you well know, Buffy.” Smiling at Lois he stepped aside from the door, “Do come in.”

Lois and Buffy breezed past him with Giles frowning down at his Slayer.

“Mr. Giles—“ Lois began.

“Please, just Giles is fine. You’ll make an old man feel older otherwise.”

Lois nodded. “Giles it is then. Listen, Giles, I know you’re afraid that I’m going to go blabbing this story – which would certainly earn me another Pulitzer I’m sure—“

“Yes, that is a concern, and so far, you’re managing to put my mind quite at ease,” Giles said wryly.

“I’m not going to do anything of the sort. I am here to help. I will not uncover Buffy or Spike—“

Giles took off his glasses and started to cleanse them. He shot Buffy a glare when she snickered. “Spike is involved now as well?”

Buffy nodded, “Yep. Clark Kent is with him right now.”

“Clark Kent?”

“Another reporter.”

It was then that Giles felt quite faint.

********


Spike eyed the skittish, bumbling man with casual interest. “So, Clark Kent huh?”

Clark nodded, clearing his throat. He extended his hand. “We haven’t formally met.”

Spikes glanced at his hand and then back up at him. “We met well enough last night.” Eyeing the tall, dark haired man, Spike began to slowly walk around him, studying him. Clark stood stock-still and Spike could sense the nervousness of this man, it was coming off him in waves. Strangely, it wasn’t fear, just pure nervousness.

“You smell familiar,” Spike murmured.

“S-sm-smell?”

“Yes, you smell familiar. Don’t you know vampires have enhanced scent?”

“Well, that’s why I’m here, Mr. Spike—“

“Just Spike.”

“That’s why I’m here Spike, to learn more about vampires.”

“You smell like a mixture of Lois and Superman,” Spike said matter-of-factly, planting himself firmly in front of Clark, watching him closely to gauge his reaction.

Clark’s eyes widened and he cleared his throat again. “Well, I do work with Lois and she is close to Superman, that is, he seems to seek her out a lot.”

“Hmmm . . . ” and Spike began rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

“Spike? May we conduct the interview now?”

Spike grinned, unrepentantly. “Sure. Why not?”

********


“So, you see, Luthor’s involvement hits close to home for me, so I almost feel obligated to help. I feel partly responsible for his being here,” Lois explained to a wary Giles.

“Yes, I see, Miss Lane, but you see my responsibility and concern is with my Slayer.”

Lois sat back on Giles’s couch. “I understand that. You have to believe me, I do not wish to put Buffy or anyone else in jeopardy. I only wish to help.”

“You do know of Tara and Willow, correct?”

Lois nodded. “They’re witches.

“And of Anya, an ex-demon that I’m sure has connections—“

“Giles!” Buffy admonished him.

Lois shook her head, “It’s okay, Buffy. I don’t blame him. Giles, I have a five-year-old son—“

“Is Clark the father?” Buffy blurted out.

Lois shook her head, “No, he’s not. He’s uh, with his father right now. The point is, I have a son that I wouldn’t want to put in harms way for the world, and so I clearly understand where you’re coming from.”

Giles sighed heavily. “All right. Fine. Buffy, what exactly are Clark and Spike doing?”

********


“So, that Lois Lane, she’s a handful, ay?” Spike asked, warming himself up some blood.

“She is. But she’s a great reporter and a really great woman,” Clark replied, watching Spike take a sip of his blood. “So you have to do that because of the chip, right?”

“Right. My grandsire—“

“Grandsire—that’s...” Clark flipped through his notes, “The Poof, right?”

Spike grinned. “Now you’re gettin’ it!”

“Yes, I am humoring you for now Spike as I really don’t believe that’s his real name.”

Spike shrugged.

“So, he has his soul and that’s why he drinks pigs blood.”

“Right.”

“So, are you in love with her?”

Clark blinked. “What?”

“With Lois. You in love with her?”

“No-I’m not—“

“Yes, you are. Think I’m blind? I can tell.”

“How would you be able to tell something like that?”

“My enhanced vampire eyeballs.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“You don’t have to. But you are, right?”

“No, Spike, I’m...Lois is a good friend.”

“It’s because of Superman, innit?”

“Honestly, don’t you think we should get back to the—“

“I’m trying to help you mate!” Spike grinned, chucking him on the arm.

“Yes, well, I’m quite all right when it comes to my love life Spike.”

Sprawling out on his ratty lazy boy, Spike grinned up at him. “Playing second fiddle to Superman I’m sure is right satisfying.”

Clark glared at him. “I do not—“

“Yes, you do.”

”I do not--“

“Yes, you do.”

The sound of the crypt entrance being all but shoved open stopped the go-round they were on.

“The women are here,” Spike drawled.

“Spike, we’re here,” Buffy said a minute later.

“How’d Watcher boy take it?”

“After threatening Lois with Willow, Tara and Anya, he was fine.”

Spike chuckled.

“How’d it go?” Lois asked Clark.

Clark frowned. “Fine. I’m ready to go. You ready to go?”

Lois stared at him, “You all right?”

“Fine,” Clark said stiffly. “I just need some air,” and he walked out.

Lois studied Spike, questioning him.

Spike just smiled sweetly. Shaking her head, Lois followed after Clark.

Sitting down on the arm of the chair, Buffy looked down at Spike. “All right. What’d you to him?”

“Relax, pet. He’s just pissed that I’ve figured it out.”

“Figured what out?”

“Well, for one, his love for Miss Lane.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “Really?”

“Yep.”

“What else?”

“Remember that theory I’ve been working on?”

“Yeah?”

“Well, I’d say it was more than a theory.”

“What is it?”

“Clark Kent and Superman are one and the same.”