“What I want,” Clark said, gathering a breath for courage, “Is to be able to love you back. I want you to be my wife, I want to be able to take care of Jason and you, I want to be his father, Lois. Don’t get me wrong, I like Richard, he’s a great guy, but he’s not Jason’s father and I want the right to be that.”

“I want you to have that right too.”

“And it’s not going to be easy, Lois. We have a lot to muddle through, you and I.”

“I know.”

“You’re still with Richard, for one.”

“I know, I have to tell him, but you know what?”

”What?”

“I think he knows.”

“What do you mean?”

Lois turned to him, “Okay, when you were hurt by…” she darted a glance at the demons and vampires congregated behind them, “you-know-who?”

“Yeah…”

“I was desperate to get to you, I had to get to you. Richards not stupid, he knows. Even when I carefully denied loving you, he knew.”

“And what of Jason? Does he know anything about that?”

Lois chewed her bottom lip. “I think so.”

Clark’s eyes widened. “What?”

“Well, it’s not that I know for sure that he knows, I mean, I’ve never said anything obviously, but I think he speculates. Just a feeling I have.”

“Oh, Lois, that’s not good for me, for Jason, for us…”

”Clark, he won’t tell.”

“And if he does?”

“It’s not like he knows about…Clark.”

“Yeah, but—“

”Your paranoid mind needs to take a break for a second. You claim to have faith in humans; you help them everyday of your life, and yet you’re really a little hypocrite at times.”

Excuse me?” Clark was stunned, and somewhat annoyed by that accusation.

“You think the worst of us, just the same. You shouldn’t with Richard. He’s a good man, and you’ve been the one to say that plenty of times yourself. If he hasn’t said anything yet, he won’t. And no matter how upset he might be when I break things off, he loves Jason, he thinks of him as his own, and he would not do anything to hurt that little boy. No matter how hurt and angry he might be at me and you.”

Clark frowned slightly, “Okay, you might have somewhat of a point about that hypocrite idea.”

Lois grinned. “For all my unable to observe the little things like you and …your secret identity, there are some things I do pick up on. So…can we blow this joint now?”

*********


“You know, pet, I really think you should consider redecorating,” Spike mused as he fingered the gauzy white curtains in her room, after they'd both showered (seperately) and changed.

“Oh? To what? Black on black on red? I don’t think so.”

”No, but you do have some great color schemes in here, you really just need to update the look a bit is all.”

Buffy stared at him, expressionless.

”What?” he asked, defensively.

“You gonna start handing out business cards for that part time job you got going on?”

“And what part-time job would that be?” he asked, hands on hips.

Buffy had to giggle at the sight he presented. Ooh, the Big Bad’s feathers were getting ruffled.

“The job of interior decorator.”

“Hush up.”

”Oh, no…no. You actually said the phrase ‘great color schemes’. You know when I’ve heard that phrase uttered most often?”

“When you were dating Angel?”

Buffy had to bark out a laugh at that one. “No.”

“So sorry…when you and Willow have had sleepovers with Xander?”

Buffy couldn’t stop laughing, “You’re evil.”

”Yeah, and you’d do well to remember that.”

“Oh, I’m so scared.”

Growling, Spike stalked over to her, kissed her, and flung her onto the bed. “I think you better get scared now, missy,” he said, pouncing on her.

Giggling, while Spike nuzzled her neck, growling all the while, she wrapped her arms around him and surrendered. Never had surrendering to her supposed mortal enemy been so much fun.

“Spike?” she whispered.

He stilled, his face still buried in her neck. “Yeah?”

“Can I see it?”

“See what? My penis? Thought you’ve seen them before pet. I mean, you have had sex, even if it was with a bunch of bloody ponces--”

She giggled again and rolled her eyes, swatting him on the arm. “No…your face.”

His head whipped up and he braced himself up on his hands.

She smiled up at him, “Your game face.”

“Why do you want to see that?”

“Cause its part of you.”

“And it’s the part you hate,” he muttered.

“We’re past that, remember?”

“So, then why do you need to see it?”

“I told you, its part of you. And since its part of you that I don’t hate anymore, I want to see it.”

Instantly, he morphed into his game face.

Reaching out tentatively, Buffy traced each ridge and bump. She studied him, took him in, and slowly she felt the tension in his body relax under her ministrations. When she came down to his mouth and encouraged him to open, it, she traced his fangs and knicked her finger on one. It made her jump slightly at that and she drew it back, watching the pearl of blood form on her finger.

“Buffy, I’m sorry, I didn’t—“ Spike began, but was cut off when she thrust her finger at him. “Buffy, what?”

“Lick it.”

He stared at her, awestruck. “What?”

“Lick it. Come on, I know you’ve wanted my blood for a while now.”

He shook his head, morphing back into his human visage. “No, Buffy, not anymore, not like that, not to hurt you.”

“You didn’t hurt me. I hurt me. I want to give this to you, Spike. Please, let me.”

“Why?” Spike whispered.

“Because I want to prove to you that I trust you, or at least that I’m starting to. I want to give you something since you’ve already given me so much.”

“What have I given you?” he asked hoarsely.

“Your love.”

He collapsed against her, “Christ, Buffy,” he said hoarsely.

“Please, Spike. I want you to have it. Please.”

How could he resist such an offer? How could he turn her down? He could tell that by doing so, would only hurt her feelings. She was doing this for him, and denying her would be an insult. He could see this was something she had to do. And since she had to, he was powerless to do anything but oblige.

Turning his head, he rested it on her shoulder and took her finger and drew it into his mouth, morphing into game face and tasting her sweet blood.

Oh, God, it was heaven. Pure bliss…the sweetness of it, the way just a drop was like pure power running through his system. His eyes popped open, and he found her smiling at him warmly.

“Kiss me,” she whispered, and he again, could do nothing but oblige. Pushing her into the bed, he kissed her hard and hungrily, pouring everything he felt for her into that kiss, all the desire, the love and the need. He felt himself soaring to the heavens when she wrapped herself around him and moaned in pleasure.

After that, all rational thought of taking this slow flew out of his impassioned mind.

********


“Yeah, have you met the bald, egotistical freak?”

Clark froze, his super hearing picking up a conversation that sounded just like the conversation he needed to be hearing.

”Clark?” Lois questioned, placing her hand boldly on his thigh and leaning in.

He groaned inwardly. Once again, duty took over when things were just getting really interesting.

He held up his hand and whispered, “Wait.”

Her eyes widened, “You hear something?”

“Yes.”

“I haven’t met him,” one, whom Clark could only assume was a vampire said, “ What’s his name? Lex or something?”

“Yeah, that’s exactly it,” the one who had originally asked about Lex, said. “He’s got some major stuff going on.”

”I heard some vamps were walking in the day because of him?”

”Yeah, he’s got this crystal or something…”

Clark felt a lump rise in his throat. My crystals.

“What’s he plan to do?”

“Resurrect the Master and take over Sunnydale…and then the world. I don’t think he’ll be able to do it, but hey, I can walk and eat in the day, so whatever.”

Clark looked at Lois. “We have to find Buffy. Now.”