Chapter 10

Buffy headed downstairs the next day, feeling a lot better. She made her way into the kitchen and stopped at the sight of Angel standing there. She gasped and backed away.

He looked up and caught her, a huge grin forming on his face. He moved fast and grabbed her before she could leave. “Now, where do you think you’re going?”

Buffy struggled in his grip. “Let go of me!” she yelled.

Angel did as she said because he didn’t want to draw any attention to them. Cordelia could come back at any moment, but he still didn’t move out of her way. “We are going to talk, sweetheart. You can’t run away whenever you see me. Cordy’s sweet and all, but she doesn’t really do it for me. The only reason I’m with her is because I figured it would get me closer to you. We had some good times, don’t you think?” he said, running his fingers down her arms.

Buffy flinched at his touch. She couldn’t believe that she used to have a crush on him. “I want you to stay away from me and my sister. You’ve ruined my life and I’m still having nightmares about it. I won’t let you do the same thing to her.”

Angel pulled her closer to him. “You know you enjoyed every second of it. You were so happy to have a college guy actually pay attention to you. If you didn’t want it, you shouldn’t have come to the frat party dressed like a tramp. You were just begging for it, baby.”

She tried to get away from him, but he held her tighter.

“You’ve wanted me ever since you were a freshman, and I know you still want me. You loved everything I did to you.”

Buffy shook her head, tears starting to form in her eyes. “No, I didn’t want that. You took advantage of a young girl that thought you were wonderful. I thought you were everything I could ever want. You made me feel things for you that I’ve never felt before, but you’re nothing but a monster. You raped me and didn’t listen when I told you to stop. You’re just lucky I never went to the police.”

Angel laughed. “Right, like they would listen to some stupid high school girl. You obviously don’t know how much power my father has in this town. They would believe whatever I said. You have nothing on me, little girl.”

Buffy felt pure hatred surge through her. She didn’t think before she acted and brought her knee up into his groin.

He groaned and finally moved away from her.

Buffy had a satisfied smile on her face now, but it quickly faded at the expression Angel was throwing her way.

“I’m going to kill you!” he exclaimed, not caring where he was anymore. He got up and charged at her, but fell back again when a fist met his face. He was stunned and knew that she couldn’t have done that.

“You don’t touch my sister.”

Buffy has never been so relieved to see Riley in her life. He seemed to come out of nowhere. She felt even more relieved when Xander joined him.

Angel just laughed hysterically. “Well, isn’t this one big happy family?” He turned his gaze on Riley. “I’ve seen you around campus. You’ve been dating Darla, right? She used to be one of mine. I hope you like leftovers because she has nothing good to offer anymore.”

Riley felt like wiping the smile off of his face, but Xander held him back.

Angel then glanced at Buffy. “You can’t have your bodyguards around you forever. I’ve always been known for getting what I want. I don’t intend to stop now.”

Buffy felt a fear that she never knew before. She didn’t like the look he was giving her and backed up into Riley’s protective embrace. She always felt safe with her brothers around.

Cordelia suddenly entered the kitchen and noticed that something wasn’t right. “What’s going on?” she wondered.

Angel gave her his wounded, puppy dog look. “Your brothers decided to rough me up a bit, baby. I don’t even know why. All I did was be nice to them because I knew how much you would have wanted us to get along.”

Cordelia was confused when she looked at Angel, then her brothers and Buffy. “Why would you guys do that?” She was about to walk over to her boyfriend, but Xander grabbed her arm.

“We can’t let you near him, Cordy,” he told her.

Buffy nodded and tried to get through to her sister. “He’s not the great guy you think he is.”

Cordelia didn’t understand, but stayed where she was.

Angel had enough. He couldn’t even get his so-called girlfriend on his side. “See you around,” he said the last part to Buffy, then made his way out of the house.

Buffy couldn’t handle her emotions anymore and burst into tears.

Riley wrapped his arms around his little sister.

She returned the gesture and cried into his chest.

Xander rubbed her back, trying to give her any comfort that he could.

Cordelia just remained confused. “Okay, what the hell just happened?”


* * * * *


“How could you not tell me? You just let me bring him over here like everything was okay. He could have done the same thing to me.”

Buffy nodded after she told Cordelia the truth. Riley and Xander decided to give them some time to talk alone. “I’m sorry, Cordy. I wanted to tell you, but I didn’t think you would believe me. I didn’t think anyone would.”

Cordelia shook her head. “This is all my fault. I should have never taken you to that party with me. I knew you were too young. Now it all makes sense of where you got off to. I can’t believe Angel could do this. He seemed so perfect. I guess he never really liked me. This is what I get for being involved with a college guy.”

“I don’t blame you for what happened. There’s no way you could have known. I thought he was perfect, too. He tricked both of us and there’s no telling how many other girls he hurt before. It was my fault for wanting to grow up too fast. Everything changed when Dad died. I didn’t even know who I was anymore, or what I wanted to do. I made so many mistakes, but I’m done with it. The next time I get involved with a guy, I’m not just going to jump right into it. He needs to be someone that I can really trust. I’m done dealing with guys that I know would hurt me.”

Cordelia nodded in understanding. “I’m right there with you.” She smiled when she looked at Buffy. This was the first time they really talked in a while. She never realized just how much she missed having her sister around.