Chapter 11

“I wish I would have been here.”

Buffy shrugged off the concern that she heard in Spike’s voice. “It’s probably better that you weren’t. We had everything under control.”

He shook his head. “I would have beaten the hell out of that ponce. I didn’t think it was possible to hate anyone more than Parker. Well, now it makes sense of why you were so skittish around him. I don’t understand how you could have kept something like that a secret for over a year.”

“It wasn’t easy. Tara was the only one that knew. She always wanted me to tell, but I was afraid. I didn’t want anyone to think less of me.”

Spike noticed that she avoided his gaze and that just wouldn’t do. He grasped her hand in his, which caused her to finally look back up at him. “What happened wasn’t your fault. You were just a young girl with a crush. The bastard took advantage of that, forcing you into something that you weren’t ready for. He’s the one with the problem, not you. I’m sorry you had to go through that.” He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “You’re truly amazing, you know that? The things you do and say. Drive me bloody crazy without even realizing it, unless you’re trying to make me crazy.”

Buffy smiled. “Farthest thing from my mind.”

Spike smiled as well. “Yeah, that’s what I figured.” He took a deep breath before continuing. “I’ve never been very good around girls. Believe it or not, I used to be a nervous schoolboy. I couldn’t talk to a chit to save my life, but I feel comfortable with you. Why do you suppose that is?”

Buffy shrugged. “I guess I just bring that out in people. I can be pretty easy to talk to.”

Spike agreed. “That must be it. I would usually be stuttering around a beautiful girl. Even with the changed image, I can still get like that. I would think of ways to write them bloody awful poetry,” he finished, surprised that he confessed his deepest secret to her.

Buffy’s mind was elsewhere.

He tilted his head and wondered what she was thinking about. “Did I lose you somewhere?”

Buffy broke out of her thoughts and gave him a somewhat embarrassed smile. “Right around beautiful.”

Spike couldn’t believe that would be a shock for her to hear. “Come on, you know you’re bloody gorgeous.”

Buffy smiled bigger at the compliment. “It’s still nice to hear.”

Spike noticed that she suddenly seemed shy and it just made him want her all the more. He wanted to know everything about this girl. He wanted to protect her and not just in a brother way. No, he definitely couldn’t see her as a sister. Not with the thoughts that were currently in his mind whenever he was around her. He had a feeling that this would be the one girl to bring William back out.


* * * * *


“Hello, earth to Spike. Are you still in there?”

Spike came back to reality at the sound of Faith’s voice. “Sorry, did you say something?”

She rolled her eyes. “You stare at her any harder and your eyes will fall out.”

Spike’s cheeks heated up.

Faith couldn’t believe the sight before her. “Are you actually blushing?”

It was another scorching day in Sunnydale and they were all hanging in the backyard, running around in the sprinklers.

Buffy was once again in a bikini and Spike couldn’t take his eyes off of her.

“Could it be that my brother is in love?”

That comment caught Spike off guard. “What? No, I’m not. I wasn’t even watching her. I saw a bird fly above. I was just watching that.”

Faith could have laughed at his lame excuse. “Yeah, sure you were. I know I told you to give Buffy a chance, but I didn’t think you would have fallen for her. I suppose stranger things have happened.”

“It’s not like that, Faith. We’re just friends.”

She nodded. “Well, I suppose you wouldn’t call her your sister.”

Spike cringed at the way she made it sound. “You think I’m disgusting, don’t you?”

Faith shook her head. “Of course I don’t think that. Buffy’s not actually related to you.”

Spike took a deep breath. “I know that, but others will still see her as my sister. Dad and Joyce would definitely not understand, but I can’t stop thinking about her.” He sighed at the sound of Buffy’s laughter in the distance and continued to stare at her. “How do you know when you’re in love?”

Faith was clearly not expecting that. “How the hell should I know? I’ll be lucky if I ever find it.”

Spike glanced at her. “You will find it. There’s bound to be someone out there crazy enough for you.”

She smacked him playfully on the arm.

Spike laughed and gazed back at Buffy. “Bloody hell, I’ve never seen anything so beautiful in my life.”

Faith rolled her eyes again. Yeah, he had it bad. She decided to have some fun with him. “I think I might have to agree with you there, big brother. If I was a lesbian, I would definitely want a piece of that.”

Spike groaned and buried his face in his hands. “Thanks so much for that.”

“You know, most guys love the idea of girl on girl action.”

That got another groan out of him. “Not when it’s my sister and the girl I have feelings for. That’s an image I didn’t need.” His breath caught in his throat when he saw that Buffy was headed in their direction.

She gave them a huge smile. “How come you guys aren’t out there? It’s way too hot to just be sitting around,” she said, ringing the water out of her hair.

Faith could see the affect that little display had on her brother. “It’s oddly not that hot out for me. I’ll mess around in the sprinklers later, and we know how much Spike loves his pasty skin. The sun he got at the pool nearly killed him.”

He glared at her.

Buffy only nodded. “Okay, I’ll just see you inside then.”

Spike watched her walk away and let out another sigh. He turned his attention back on Faith, suddenly looking more serious. “What am I going to do?”

Faith didn’t know the answer to that. She wanted her brother to be happy, but had a feeling that things were just going to get worse. You couldn’t fall in love with your step-sister and not have consequences to deal with. She just hoped that everything would work out for him.