Chapter 12

A few weeks went by and Buffy was relieved that she hasn’t seen much of Parker. She just prayed that Angel would also leave her alone. She wanted the rest of the school year to go by smoothly, but figured that might be too much to ask for. She groaned when she spotted Parker in the distance, knowing that her good mood was about to deflate. She then felt pure anger when she noticed who he was hitting on, and making crude comments to in the process. She stomped over to them.

“You never know when to quit, do you?”

He paled when he noticed her. “I was just having some fun with the freaky girl. Nothing to get bent out of shape over.”

Buffy stepped closer and got in his face. “The ‘freaky girl’ as you seem to call her happens to be my step-sister. If you think Spike was pissed by what happened to me, then it’ll be nothing compared to what would happen if he finds out you’ve been messing with his actual sister.”

Parker gulped and actually had a look of fear on his face at the thought of dealing with Spike again. He held his hands up in surrender. “All right, I’m gone.” He then turned and headed in the other direction.

Buffy rolled her eyes at how easy that was, then focused her attention on the other girl. “You okay, Drusilla?”

She smiled and nodded. “Yeah, I am now. Thanks, that guy was a real jerk.”

Buffy agreed. “You’re singing my song now. I wouldn’t worry too much about him.”

“I can understand why my brother is so taken with you. He thinks highly of you, Buffy.”

She was clearly stunned by that statement. “Spike told you that?”

Drusilla shook her head. “He didn’t have to,” she said, then walked away.

Buffy just stared after her in shock.


* * * * *


“Is this seat taken?”

Spike smiled up at her. “Do you even need to ask?”

Buffy shook her head and sat down next to him at the lunch table. “Why are you over here by yourself?”

He shrugged. “Faith’s over there snogging with some new bloke that she met. I would rather be far away from it.”

Buffy laughed and noticed that Faith was engaged in a heated liplock with Charles Gunn. Her eyes widened at that revelation. “Hey, I went out with him before.”

“Who haven’t you gone out with?”

She slapped his arm. “It was only the one time and we felt really weird afterwards. It’s good that he’s getting along so well with Faith. He’s actually a pretty decent guy.”

Spike was relieved to hear that.

Buffy turned her eyes away and looked at a table in front of her. “Um, why is Harmony giving me the evil eye?”

Spike shook his head. “I don’t think she likes that you’re sitting with me. Let’s really give her something to stare at.” He put his arm around Buffy and flashed the cheerleader a bright smile.

Buffy laughed at the look of rage that crossed her face. “You do realize that people will probably talk?”

Spike shrugged. “Yeah, this is me not caring,” he told her.

Buffy smiled and wished that she could be that confident.

He removed his arm when Harmony got up and left the cafeteria.

Buffy frowned at the loss of contact, but didn’t want to think about why that mattered to her.


* * * * *


“I seem to be missing another CD. You wouldn’t happen to know where it is, would you?”

Buffy looked guilty. “Dawn took it?”

Spike placed his hand over his heart. “I’m shocked at you, Summers. It’s not right to blame your sister like that.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and pointed to her dresser. “It’s over there. I was gonna give it back.”

He nodded. “I’m sure you were, but we talked about this.”

“Yeah, but I figured you wouldn’t mind since we know each other better now.”

Spike sat down next to her on the bed. “I don’t really mind. It’s just fun giving you a hard time. I like that you have the same taste in music. I can’t tell you how many girls were repulsed when they found out what I listened to.”

“Well, there’s something you need to know about me, Spike. I’m not like other girls,” she said with a grin.

Spike returned her smile. “Believe me, I figured that out.” He found himself lost in her gaze and suddenly couldn’t take it anymore. He leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.

Buffy gasped in surprise, but soon started to eagerly return the kiss.

Spike pulled her closer, slipping his tongue into her mouth.

Buffy massaged his tongue with hers. She lowered her hand to feel the bulge that he seemed to have all of a sudden. It was then that she panicked and pulled away. “Wait, what are we doing? We…We can’t do this,” she stuttered out, which wasn’t something that happened very often.

Spike tried to control his breathing before he answered. “Why not? We were doing fine.”

Buffy shook her head and stood up. “You know why not, Spike. Anyone could have walked in and caught us. We can’t risk that. This is wrong,” she explained and didn’t really believe it, but she didn’t know what else to say.

Spike got up and moved over to her. “How can something that feels so right be wrong? We’re not blood related, Buffy. I know everyone probably wouldn’t understand at first, but I don’t really care. You’re worth taking the risk for.”

“I really wish you wouldn’t say things like that. It’s hard to think straight when you’re being all with the flattery.”

He smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist. “I think you just bring it out of me. You know how crazy I am about you, Buffy. These last few weeks only made my feelings for you grow. I know you feel something for me, too.”

She nodded and took a deep breath. “I do and it has me terrified. I’m not good with relationships. How would we be able to make this work? Nothing will change the fact that our parents are married.”

Spike suddenly had an idea. “We can break them up.”

Buffy’s jaw nearly dropped at that suggestion. “What? Are you serious?”

“Think about it, we break them up and we won’t be step-siblings anymore. We can be together.”

Buffy would have laughed if he didn’t look so serious. “Okay, you’re officially insane. We can’t do that, Spike. I won’t do that.”

He pouted at her response. “How come?”

She tried not to let the pout affect her. “This is the first time since my dad died that I’ve ever seen my mom so happy. I would never do anything to ruin that. I can’t believe you would even suggest it. You’ve seen how happy your dad is around her. I’m sorry, Spike. It’s not going to happen, not even if it means us being together.”

He let out a sigh. “Yeah, I figured it was a stupid thing to ask. I don’t really want them to separate, but I don’t know what else to do. I’ve never felt this way before about anyone. How am I supposed to be around you and not touch you? It would kill me.”

Buffy caressed his cheek. “You did fine before. You just have to try harder. I’m sorry, but nothing can happen between us. That’s just the way it has to be.” She then walked out of the room, leaving Spike to stare after her in sorrow.