Chapter 13

“Are you going to mope around all day?”

Spike groaned and turned away from Faith’s pestering. He would mope if he wanted to.

Faith wouldn’t have it. She jumped on Spike’s bed and forced him to look at her. “You are going to get out of this room. I’ll drag you if I have to. You’ve been brooding ever since Buffy rejected you. Dad is gonna start to think that something is seriously wrong with you.”

Spike glared at her. “First of all, I don’t brood. Second of all, sod off,” he claimed and buried his face back in the pillow.

Faith rolled her eyes. “You’re hopeless, you know that? You act like this is the end of the world or something. You had that huge crush on Cecily and eventually got over it. The bitch totally humiliated you and you didn’t let it get you down for too long. There are other girls out there, Spike.”

He raised his head to once again look at his sister. “I don’t want another girl. I want her. I wouldn’t expect for you to understand. Buffy’s perfect for me. I’ll never find anyone else like her. I know she feels something for me, it’s not just because our parents are married. I know she’s scared because she hasn’t been involved with any good blokes in her life, but she has to know that I’m not like them. I would never do anything to hurt her.”

“Have you told her all that?”

Spike shook his head. “I don’t think she would listen. She’s been avoiding me ever since we talked a few nights ago.”

Faith had an idea and gave him a smile. “No problem, I can fix that,” she said, then ran out of the room.

Spike just knew that she was up to no good. He worried when she got that look on her face, but he couldn’t seem to care about it at the moment. His eyes bulged when he saw Faith pull Buffy into the room a couple of seconds later. He instantly sat up in his bed.

Buffy panicked when she saw Spike and tried to leave, but Faith wouldn’t let her.

“I don’t think so, blondie. I want my brother to be happy again, so you guys are gonna talk. I’ll be outside guarding the door. No one is leaving on my watch. Not until you work this out. I’ll leave you to it.” She flashed them both a smile, then left the room and closed the door behind her.

Buffy looked around and tried to avoid his gaze.

Spike had enough and moved over to her. “She does have a point. We really need to talk, Buffy. If you just keep avoiding me, our parents are bound to know that something’s up.”

Buffy agreed. “You’re right and I’m sorry I’ve been a pain lately. You just took me by surprise and I still don’t know what to think about it. You do understand why we can’t be together, right?”

He shook his head. “No, I really don’t. You say it’s because of our parents, but I know it’s more than that. You know that what we feel for each other is not wrong. I get that you’re scared, but you have to trust that I would never hurt you. I’ve been burned a few times myself when it comes to dating. I once wrote poetry for a girl that told me I was beneath her. It took me a while to get over that, but I managed. I promised myself that I would never put my heart on the line like that again, but you completely took me by surprise. I’m risking a lot here, but I think it’s worth the risk. I think you’re worth everything. I just need to know if I’m in this by myself or not.”

Buffy realized that she was crying during his speech.

Spike was worried when he noticed the tears and wondered if he said something wrong, but he didn’t have to wonder for long when Buffy grabbed the back of his head and smashed her lips to his. He moaned into her mouth and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him.

The door suddenly opened, but they were too lost in their own world to notice.

“Okay, I haven’t heard anything. You two better…” Faith trailed off when she noticed the sight before her. “Well, that would explain it. I’ll just be going now.” She backed out of the room and shut the door, glad that her plan worked.

Spike picked Buffy up and dropped her onto his bed. He fell on top of her, never breaking contact with her lips. His hand reached under her top to caress the smooth skin that he found there. He broke away when breathing became an issue and started to trail kisses down her neck. “God, I want you,” he whispered in her ear, then took the lobe into his mouth and nibbled on it.

Buffy moaned and ran her fingers over his back, but she knew everything was happening too fast. She gently pushed on his chest to get his attention.

He released her earlobe and gazed down at her flushed face. “What’s wrong?”

She shook her head. “Nothing, I just think we need to slow down a bit. I always rushed into everything in the past. I don’t want to make that mistake again. I want to do things right with you.”

Spike nodded and was relieved that she didn’t regret what happened between them. “I’m sorry if I got carried away. It’s hard not to when I’m around you.”

Buffy smiled. “I know the feeling, but we don’t have to be in a hurry.”

He agreed and moved off of her. “What about our parents, love? Are you still having doubts?”

She took a deep breath. “I admit that I’m still worried about what they’ll think, but it doesn’t matter all that much anymore. I realized that you would also be worth the risk. No one looks at me the way you do, Spike. It’s like I’m the only girl in the world. I don’t think I could live without that feeling.”

Spike smiled shyly at her. “You never have to worry about that. And when we’re ready, we’ll tell our parents everything. I wouldn’t expect for this to be a secret forever, but no matter what happens, I won’t let you go.”

“I won’t either,” she replied.

He gave her another smile. “That works out nicely, then. Don’t worry; I have a feeling everything will work out in the end.”

Buffy really prayed that he was right, but couldn’t help the bad feeling that she had.