Chapter 18

Spike went to get Buffy a glass of water after he explained to their parents about what happened at the Bronze, leaving the part of their relationship out. He figured now wasn’t the best time, but it was bound to come up once the others arrived home. He entered the living room to find Joyce with her arms wrapped around Buffy. He didn’t want to interrupt the moment and just placed the cup on the table in front of her. He was about to sit down on the other side of Buffy, but Giles cleared his throat.

“I think we should leave them alone now, William. You did well tonight, but I’m sure you’re exhausted.”

Spike shook his head. “I’m sorry, Dad. I can’t leave her right now. Not this time.”

Giles nodded. “I know you probably feel responsible for what happened since you are the one that found Buffy, but she’ll be fine now.”

Spike wasn’t about to let it go. “It’s more than that. She’s hurting right now and I can’t walk away.” He then took a deep breath and looked at Buffy before saying the rest. “I love her.”

Giles and Joyce were both shocked by that statement.

Buffy just gazed up at him in wonder, clearly not expecting him to say that.

Spike figured he was already in trouble, so he took a seat next to Buffy and grabbed her hand.

Joyce stood up to join her husband.

Spike squeezed her hand and glanced up at the adults. “We’ve been seeing each other recently. This wasn’t planned or anything, it just happened. We never expected to fall for each other, but I love her very much.” He turned to look at Buffy, wiping a tear off of her face with his thumb. “I love you, Buffy,” he whispered with so much emotion in his voice.

She gave him a soft smile. “I love you, too.”

He sighed in relief and pressed a quick kiss to her lips.

Joyce placed her hand over her heart. She didn’t know what to think about this turn of events, but she didn’t have much time to think about it.

The rest of the kids barged into the house, all engaged in a bunch of different conversations. They stopped when they walked into the living room and noticed how tense the atmosphere was.

Xander was the first one to speak up. “I’m thinking they know.”

The others nodded and then hurried upstairs, not wanting to face the wrath of their parents.

Giles glanced at his son once everyone was gone. “Come with me, William. I want to speak with you in private, and I believe Joyce would like to do the same thing.”

Spike sighed and after giving Buffy one more kiss, got up and left with his father.

Joyce sat back down next to her daughter. “Where do I begin?” she wondered.

Buffy took a deep breath. “How about that you’ll always love me no matter what I do?”

“Of course I’ll always love you, honey. Nothing could ever change that. I just don’t know what to say. I have a feeling you would just do the opposite, anyway.”

Buffy gave a small smile. “Your opinion does matter a lot to me, Mom. Spike is incredible, there’s no telling what could have happened to me tonight if he wasn’t there. I can’t even think about it. All he did was prove that he’ll always be there for me. I know I’ve had a lot of bad relationships in the past, but this is like nothing I’ve ever felt before. He treats me like I’m the only person in the world. He hardly even notices other girls at school. I just want you to be okay with this, but even if you’re not, I’m pretty much not gonna stop seeing him.”

Joyce nodded. “I figured you wouldn’t. I guess I just keep forgetting that you’re not a little girl anymore. You’ve been so miserable since your father died and lately I’ve seen happiness in you that I haven’t seen in years. I suppose William is the cause of that?”

Buffy nodded as well. “He really is, Mom. I never thought I could like the idea of you marrying someone else, but that brought him into my life. I’ll always miss Daddy, but I could never regret meeting Spike. I see how happy Giles makes you. I would never want to get in the way of that, just like I’m sure you wouldn’t want to get in the way of my happiness.”

Joyce smiled. “You do make a good point. I would never want to take away your happiness, sweetie. If this is what you really want, then I won’t stand in the way of it.”

Buffy squealed and attacked her mother in a hug. “Thank you so much, Mom. You don’t know how much this means to me.”

Joyce rubbed her daughter’s back. “I think I have some idea. I wonder how the boys are doing with their talk.”


* * * * *


“I have to admit, this isn’t something that I would have seen coming.”

Spike nodded and occupied himself by looking around the basement. It was the only place to have some privacy in the house. “Believe me, you’re not the only one. I feel horrible for the way I treated Buffy when we first moved here. She’s truly amazing, Dad. There isn’t one thing about her that I don’t love. I know you may think we’re too young to know what love is, or that we’re rushing into things…”

Giles cut him off by holding up a hand. “I was young once, William. I met Joyce when I was only a year older than you. I fell in love with her at first sight, just as I did with your mother. You may think I don’t understand young love, but I do. I know what you feel for her is very real. Buffy is a wonderful girl. I honestly don’t think you could have chosen anyone better. I think you both would be very good for each other.”

Spike’s jaw practically dropped at his father’s speech. He wasn’t expecting that. “You’re really okay with this?”

He nodded. “I’m going to accept this relationship, but you do still live under the same roof together. There will have to be some rules to follow.”

A smile lit up Spike’s face. “I wouldn’t expect anything less. Thanks, Dad,” he said and gave his father a hug.

Giles was surprised at first, then returned the embrace.

They pulled away after a moment.

“I’m going to see my girl.”

Giles nodded and watched his son head out of the basement. He realized that William was truly growing up. His mother would be very proud of the young man that he has become.