Chapter 20

Xander barged into Buffy’s room and went straight for her bed. He found his sister on top of Spike and pulled her off of him.

Buffy struggled in his arms. “Xander, what the hell are you doing?”

He put her down. “You know better than that, Buffy. You shouldn’t be taking advantage of the fact that Mom’s not here. There’s no telling what would have happened in this room if I didn’t show up.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Believe me; I’m not stupid enough to have sex in my room. We were only kissing. I’m sure it hasn’t been that long since you’ve done it.” She stopped to think about that. “Well, maybe it has.”

Xander glared at her. “You’re very funny. I happen to have a date this weekend, not that it’s any of your business.”

She held her hands up. “Whatever you say.”

Dawn appeared in the doorway and gave her sister a smile.

Buffy scowled at her, knowing that she had something to do with the interruption.

Dawn only shrugged. “Hey, I said I wouldn’t tell Mom. I never said anything about Xander.”

“You have a five second head start.”

Dawn squealed and ran out of the room, Buffy right on her heels.

“Get back here, brat!” she yelled after her.

Spike laughed at their antics, then turned a nervous look on Xander. “We really weren’t going any further than that.”

Xander nodded. “I would hope not. I’m just looking out for my little sister. I don’t want her to get hurt again.”

Spike agreed. “I don’t want that, either. Buffy’s very important to me. I wouldn’t do anything to hurt her.”

Xander was about to reply, but Cordelia showed up in the room before he got a chance to.

“Buffy just locked Dawn out of the house. What happened this time?”

Xander rolled his eyes and headed out of the room to deal with his sisters.

Cordelia was confused and turned to Spike.

He just shook his head. “It’s best not to ask.”

Cordelia decided that he was probably right. She then licked her lips and moved closer to him. “You know, now that I think about it, you’re actually not so bad to look at. This whole bad boy image that you have going for you is kinda sexy.”

Spike gulped at the way she was staring at him and took a step back. “I’m very flattered and all, but I am with your sister.”

She shrugged. “We could have a lot of fun together. Buffy doesn’t have to know.”

“Yeah, but I would know. I could never do that to her.”

Cordelia smiled. “Good answer. That was a test. I needed to see if you were really good enough for my sister. I can’t say I’m all that convinced yet, but you’re getting closer.”

Spike sighed in relief when she left the room. “This family is bloody insane,” he said to himself.

Cordelia stuck her head back into the room. “Don’t forget, you’re a part of it now,” she told him with a wink, then walked away.


* * * * *


“I’m so telling Mom that you locked me out,” Dawn complained.

“Fine, then I’ll tell Mom about the D you got on your Math test that you don’t want her to know about.”

Dawn crossed her arms over her chest. “You’re evil.”

Buffy smiled. “And damn proud of it, but I’m being serious here. What’s gotten into you, Dawn? You’re constantly annoying me all the time now, even more than usual. Are you just really bored or something? There are other people in this house that you can bother.”

“I just want you to include me in stuff. You don’t know how hard it is to be the youngest. I’m always getting ignored. Ever since you’ve been seeing Spike, you don’t do anything with me anymore.”

Buffy wasn’t expecting that. “Why didn’t you tell me that you’ve been feeling left out?”

Dawn shrugged. “I didn’t wanna sound like a baby. I get that he’s your boyfriend now, but we used to do stuff together. Before you had to go and get a life. I probably won’t get one of those until I’m at least fifteen. I have two years to kill here. It’s great that Connor’s close to my age, but he’s a boy and they’re no fun.”

Buffy smiled and ran her fingers through Dawn’s long, dark hair. “Yeah, I remember how hard it was to be thirteen. How about we do something this weekend? Just the two of us. I’ll try to be a better sister to you, Dawny. I’ve just had a lot to deal with, but I don’t want you to feel that you can’t still talk to me.”

Her eyes lit up. “You would really hang out with me?”

Buffy nodded. “We can do whatever you want.”

Dawn smiled and thought about it. “Can we go to the mall? I wanted to look in the music store.”

“That sounds like a good idea. I still haven’t picked out my Prom dress yet. Would you like to help me choose one?”

Dawn was glad that Buffy would actually let her help with something as big as that. Well, she just assumed it was a big deal. She gave her big sister a hug. “Thanks, Buffy.”

She returned the embrace and realized that she hasn’t been all that great to Dawn, but that was about to change. She knew what it was like to feel left out by your older sister and never wanted Dawn to feel like that.


* * * * *


“Buffy, it’s okay. I’m not going to get upset about you wanting to spend time with your sister,” he explained.

“I still feel bad about it, Spike. I forgot that we had plans this weekend.”

Spike gave her a kiss on the lips to stop her from worrying. “It’s not a big deal. You go and have fun with Dawn. I can find something else to do.”

She raised her eyebrows. “Why do you seem happy about that? You want to get rid of me, don’t you? Oh god, you’re tired of me already?”

Spike laughed and shook his head. “I could never get tired of you, Buffy. I love you and that’s not about to change. We have been spending a lot of time together lately. It probably wouldn’t hurt to spend a little time apart. Maybe this will give me a reason to do something with Connor. I feel like I’ve been neglecting him, too.”

Buffy smiled and wrapped her arms around his waist. “Thanks for being so understanding.”

“Well, that’s what I’m here for. I’m not one of those boyfriends that will order you around and make you spend every hour with me. You’re a free woman.” He thought about that statement. “Let me rephrase that. You’re a free woman, but not with any other men.”

Buffy laughed as well and pressed a quick kiss to his lips. “No chance of that. I’m all yours, baby.”

Spike held her tighter and really believed that she was his.