Chapter 21

“So, what do you think of this one?” Buffy asked her sister after trying on about five different dresses.

“Wow, you look so pretty,” Dawn replied.

Buffy smiled and looked herself over in the mirror again. “Yeah, I think we have a winner.” The dress hugged her curves perfectly and it was red, which she knew was Spike’s favorite color.

“I think I would have to agree.”

She turned at the male voice that came from behind her.

“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to intrude. I just had an urge to tell you how stunning you are. I don’t usually make a habit of coming up to girls that I don’t know, so try to go easy on me.”

Buffy noticed the amused look on Dawn’s face and glanced back at the man. “Well, that’s sweet of you. Tell me, does that line usually work? I don’t really fall for the whole shy boy routine, but it was a very good try.”

He smiled. “Aren’t you a feisty one? I like that in a girl.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Dawn, go for a walk, but stay inside the store.”

Dawn wanted to stick around, but figured there was no point arguing about it. She just let out a sigh and walked away from the dressing rooms.

Buffy ignored the stranger and went to change out of the dress. When she came back out, she saw that he was still standing there. “I guess you didn’t take the hint.”

He held his hands up in surrender. “I promise that I’m harmless. In fact, I would like to make a peace offering.” He held his hand out to her. “My name’s Owen, it’s nice to meet you.”

She took his hand after a moment. “I’m Buffy, the pleasure is all yours.”

Owen laughed and dropped her hand. “You really are feisty. Look, I’m sorry for hitting on you like that. It’s really not something that I do often. I guess there was just something about you. To make it up to you, how about I take you out to dinner tonight? I promise to be on my best behavior.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. “How old are you?” she wondered.

He looked shy before answering. “I’m twenty-three, is that a bad thing?”

Buffy smiled and shook her head. “It wouldn’t be if I was eighteen, but since I’m not, we would call that jail bait. Besides, I already have a boyfriend, but thanks anyway.” She grabbed the dress that she planned on buying and went to look for Dawn.

“Right, maybe I’ll just see you around then,” he called after her.

Buffy just kept walking, without bothering to give him another glance.


* * * * *


“Spike is gonna freak when he sees you in that dress, Buffy.”

She smiled at Dawn and went to hang the dress up in her closet.

“Does Spike get a sneak preview?”

They both turned at the new voice in the doorway.

Buffy smiled at the sight of her boyfriend. “Spike will just have to wait until the Prom.”

He pouted.

“Nope, it’s not working. I invented that.”

Spike shrugged and made his way into the room, plopping down on Buffy’s bed. “So, did you ladies have a good time?”

Buffy was about to respond, but Dawn beat her to it.

“It was great shopping with someone other than Mom for a change, but I think Buffy had more fun,” she said with a grin.

Buffy knew what her sister was implying and shook her head. “Nope, it wasn’t fun at all. I think shopping has gotten kinda dull. Yeah, nothing exciting happened.”

Dawn rolled her eyes. “Yeah, except for that cute guy that was totally flirting with you. Why do you get all the attention?” she mumbled.

Buffy grabbed Dawn and pushed her out of the room. “Okay, that’s enough crazy talk from you. Go listen to your new CDs.”

“But this is my room.”

Buffy just closed the door in Dawn’s face. “Then listen to them somewhere else.” She heard her sister walk away and turned back to Spike. “Kids, they never know what they’re talking about.”

Spike got up and moved over to her. “So, you were flirting?”

Buffy shook her head. “He’s the one that came up to me and started putting on this nice guy act, then had the nerve to ask me out.” She was concerned about the look on his face and tried to make things right. “I obviously turned him down. You don’t have to look at me like that, Spike. I’m not about to ruin what we have for some creep that hits on high school girls. I mean, it should have been obvious that I was a lot younger than him. I guess I just looked older in the dress.”

Spike thought about it. “So, let me get this straight. Some bloke you don’t even know got to see you in the dress before me?”

Buffy slapped him on the chest when she realized that he was messing with her. “Jerk, you actually had me worried. I thought you were really mad.”

“I trust you, Buffy. I just have to deal with the fact that I have a very attractive girlfriend. I can’t stop men from hitting on you, but I can beat them into a bloody pulp if they do it when I’m with you.”

Buffy laughed and wrapped her arms around his waist. “I have no doubts. I love you, Spike. There’s only you.”

Spike felt touched; even though that wasn’t the first time she said those words. He didn’t think he would ever get used to the fact that this amazing girl loved him. He was always teased and ridiculed at his old school. A girl like Buffy never would have looked twice at William. He was surprised that he managed to get a girlfriend at all back then, but she only ended up using him. And then there was the whole mess with Cecily. She was his first real crush. He would constantly write poems about her and when he actually got up the courage to read her one, she laughed in his face, telling him that he was beneath her. It was then that he decided to become Spike. It wasn’t long after that when they moved to Sunnydale. Spike figured that he would hate every second of it, but meeting Buffy was the best thing that could have happened to him. Even if they got off on the wrong foot, he would never regret any of the time they spent together. He finally knew what it was like to be in love and Prom night would be another first for him. He could hardly wait.