Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, I’m thinking that I might be ending this story soon. It’s obvious that the interest has gone down for it. I don’t even think I’m all that interested anymore. I just want to get it finished. I have a few more chapters that are already written, but I don’t think the story will be that much longer. I keep getting a lot of how much longer is the story going to be? So, that makes me think that others are ready for it to end as well. I’ve probably bored you guys long enough. I have another story that I’ve been working on and plan on posting after this one. I’m thinking that might be my last story. I’m just not into writing as much as I used to be. It doesn’t seem as fun anymore, but thank you to those that always review me. It helps knowing that a few of you still like it.
Chapter 22

Spike couldn’t keep the smile off of his face the next day. The Prom was only a few days away and he was actually looking forward to it. He would have dreaded going to a school dance a year ago, but he didn’t have Buffy then. She made him happier than he could ever remember being before. He was too lost in his thoughts and wasn’t paying attention, until he crashed into someone. He was shocked to realize that it was Gwen Raiden, one of the prettiest girls in the school. She wasn’t really in the popular crowd, but she didn’t need to be to get a lot of attention from the male populace.

Gwen smiled seductively at him. “I guess there’s something good about being a klutz, after all. You can feel free to bump into me anytime, Spike.”

He thought of what to say. “I’m sorry about that. I wasn’t watching where I was going.”

She shrugged it off. “No problem, you’re just the guy I was looking for. It looks like I might be available for Prom. Normally I would just bail on the whole idea, but the parentals think I need to be more sociable. They’re constantly on my case. So, you up for escorting a girl to the dance?”

“Sorry, I’m already taken,” he explained.

Gwen rolled her eyes. “Right, you’re going out with Buffy. What’s up with that, anyway? I thought she was your step-sister or something. That just seems a little weird to me.”

Spike let out the breath that he didn’t even realize he was holding. “Well, it’s not like we’re really related. I should go now.”

Gwen stopped him from walking away by running her hands down his arms. “Is there anything I can do to convince you?”


* * * * *


Buffy was thrilled when she headed to her locker. She hasn’t seen much of Parker and with Angel being put away, she couldn’t be happier. Things finally seemed to be going right in her life and she just hoped it stayed that way. She was brought out of her thoughts by another presence that was suddenly standing next to her.

“Where the hell is your sister, Summers? She was supposed to meet me in the janitor’s closet.” He paused. “I mean, the cafeteria. She was supposed to meet me in the cafeteria.”

Buffy smiled. “The janitor’s closet, huh? Taking her to our old make out spot now, Gunn? I’m sure Faith would love that. It’s very romantic.”

He rolled his eyes. “I meant the cafeteria.”

“Yeah, sure you did. Sorry, I haven’t seen her. I was just about to meet up with Spike.”

Gunn decided to stay close to her in hopes that he would run into Faith. No girl has ever made him so crazy before, but there was just something really special about the dark haired beauty.

Buffy stopped abruptly when she finally reached her destination and noticed that Spike wasn’t alone.

Gunn saw who he was with and groaned. “Damn, this won’t end well. Don’t do anything stupid, Buffy.”

She didn’t listen to him and stomped over to the couple.

Gunn shook his head. “Here we go again.” He knew that things were about to get very ugly, but he wasn’t going to miss the show.

Buffy scowled at the brunette once she made her way over to them. “What do you think you’re doing?”

Gwen turned a smirk on her. “Hey, Buffy. I was just warming up your boyfriend for you.”

“I think you need to get away from him, Gwen. You have this annoying habit of always taking what’s mine and I’m sick of it. I’ll be damned if Spike is going to be added to that list.”

She laughed. “Please, like I’m really scared of you. Do you think he matters to me? I could have any guy that I wanted.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. “I think you already have, including our English teacher. I’m sure Principal Snyder would get a kick out of that. You know how much he loves to expel.”

“You are such a little bitch,” she spat.

Buffy smiled. “I guess that’s something we have in common.”

Spike managed to move away from the girls and joined Gunn, where he figured it was safer. “Does this happen a lot?” he wondered.

Gunn nodded. “Oh yeah, there’s always something with them. We went out once and Gwen was after me the second she found out. Buffy has it in her head that she’s trying to make her life miserable. After this, I would have to agree. They used to be close at the beginning of school, but then they just stopped. No one knows what really happened. They got into an actual fist fight last year. Take it from me; you don’t wanna piss Buffy off. She’s a little spitfire, that one.”

Spike agreed. “Yeah, you’re right about that.”

They both turned their attention back on the girls to notice that they were still arguing.

A group formed around them to see if any blood would be shed this time, but there was no such luck when a teacher headed in their direction.

“Ladies, that’s quite enough. You both have a class to get to right now. In fact, everyone should be in class right now.”

The group of students left in a hurry to do just that.

Gwen paled at the sight of her former English teacher, Ethan Rayne.

Buffy only grinned. “We were just talking about you, sir. Gwen was enlightening me about all of your sexual needs. She says that you’re quite the stallion.”

“You are so dead!”

He grabbed the brunette before she could attack Buffy. “Again, I must insist that you both head to class now. If you promise not to cause anymore problems, then I won’t get the principal involved.”

Spike took Buffy’s arm, but she wasn’t finished yet.

“Yeah, I’m sure you wouldn’t want to get Snyder involved. Do you find enjoyment in boinking your students? You know that’s kinda sick, right? How many conquests have you had that go to this school? Do you have a hard time keeping it in your pants, Mr. Rayne?”

Spike then placed his hand over Buffy’s mouth, shocked by what she just said. “Okay, we’ll be getting to class now.” He immediately pulled her away.

Gunn tried not to laugh and headed in the other direction, leaving student and teacher behind to stare awkwardly at each other.


* * * * *


“What the bloody hell was that about?” Spike claimed once they were far enough away.

Buffy shrugged. “Nothing, just something I’ve wanted to say for a long time. The perv had it coming.”

Spike let out a sigh. “Buffy, you can’t talk to a teacher like that. You could have gotten in serious trouble.”

She rolled her eyes. “Hardly, he’s not gonna say anything. He’s too afraid of losing his job. I just can’t believe that skank, and then she had the nerve to hit on you. I felt like clawing her damn eyes out.”

Spike grabbed Buffy by the shoulders. “Love, what’s wrong? I’ve never seen you act like this before. You have nothing to be jealous about. I’m not interested in her.”

Buffy wiped the tears that she now had coming down her face. “It’s not even about that. I just hate her. She used to be my friend and now I can hardly look at her without wanting to kick her ass. We used to do everything together. She was the one person that I confided in after my dad died, but she became someone that I don’t even recognize anymore. She stole my first boyfriend after knowing how much I liked him. Everything I had, she just had to have, too. She spread rumors about me to the whole school about how much of an airhead I was. I kept getting dumb blonde jokes from everyone after that. No one actually believed that I was smart. You thought the same thing when you met me, then she goes and has sex with a teacher just to get a better grade. God, who does that? And she had the nerve to think I was a slut? I had it with her after that, our friendship was officially over. We’ve been at each other’s throats ever since.”

Spike pulled her into his arms and guided her head to his chest. “I’m sorry about all that, Buffy. You did the right thing. You wouldn’t want a friend like that. I’m just sorry about everything you had to deal with. I sometimes wish that we would have moved here sooner.”

She raised her head to glance up at him. “I sometimes wish that, too. I’m really glad you’re here now.”

He nodded and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

Buffy suddenly had an idea and grabbed his hand, pulling him down the hall.

Spike didn’t know where they were going, but a smile formed on his face when they reached the janitor’s closet.