Author's Chapter Notes:
At the bottom.
Chapter 25

Buffy and Gwen had a lot to make up for when she got out of the hospital. They talked about everything that has been going on in their lives, and spent a lot of time together during the remainder of the school year.

When summer finally came, Gwen decided to leave for Switzerland and was actually looking forward to it. She agreed to keep in touch with Buffy to let her know how things were going.

Buffy liked getting to know her old friend again, but was just relieved to be done with another year. She would soon be a senior and couldn’t wait for that. Right now, she was enjoying hanging at the Bronze with her family and friends. She was perched on Spike’s lap, when he suddenly spoke in her ear to be heard over the music. She immediately shook her head and looked into his eyes. “I don’t think I can.”

Spike caressed her cheek. “Yes, you can. I think it’s about time, Buffy. Your father would want you to.” He set her on her feet and stood up. “I know that you can do this, love. I’ll be right back.”

Buffy sighed and watched him head toward the stage. She saw her boyfriend talk to the band and then look back at her, giving her a smile.

“All right, ladies and gentlemen. We have a special treat for you. This little lady hasn’t graced our stage in a couple of years, but she’s here tonight and ready to sing her heart out. I would like you all to give a warm applause for Buffy Summers.”

The crowd cheered at the announcement.

Spike walked back over to her. “The stage is yours, baby.”

Buffy still wasn’t able to move, until Tara came up behind her and gave her a hug.

“You can do it, sweetie. Dad will be watching you.”

Buffy felt tears at her sister’s words. She nodded and gave Spike a small smile, then made her way over to the stage. It had been a while since she sang in public. She used to do it all the time for fun. This would be the first time performing without her father around. She really hoped that she would be able to pull it off. Buffy smiled at the man that handed her a guitar when she got up there, sitting down on the stool that they put out for her. She looked out at the crowd and took a deep breath. “I haven’t done this for a while, so I hope I’m not rusty. I’ve been working on this song for a few months now. I didn’t think I would ever have the courage to play it for anyone, but I hope you guys like it.” She strummed the guitar and took another deep breath before she started to sing.


I love the time and in between
The calm inside me
In the space where I can breathe
I believe there is a
Distance I have wandered
To touch upon the years of
Reaching out and reaching in
Holding out holding in

I believe
This is heaven to no one else but me
And I’ll defend it as long as I can be
Left here to linger in silence
If I choose to
Would you try to understand

I know this love is passing time
Passing through like liquid
I am drunk in my desire...
But I love the way you smile at me
I love the way your hands reach out and hold me near...
I believe...

I believe
This is heaven to no one else but me
And I’ll defend it as long as I can be
Left here to linger in silence
If I choose to
Would you try to understand

Oh the quiet child awaits the day when she can break free
The mold that clings like desperation
Mother can't you see I’ve got
To live my life the way I feel is right for me
Might not be right for you but it's right for me...
I believe...

I believe
This is heaven to no one else but me
And I’ll defend it as long as I can be
Left here to linger in silence
If I choose to
Would you try to understand it

I would like to linger here in silence
If I choose to
Would you understand it
Would you try to understand...



Buffy’s voice trailed off as she stopped playing. She had tears streaming down her face, oblivious to the burst of applause that erupted from the audience. She placed the guitar down and quickly ran backstage.

Spike saw her retreat and took off after her. He caught her right before she went outside, his heart breaking at the obvious distress that she was in. “I’m sorry, Buffy. I shouldn’t have put pressure on you if you weren’t ready.”

She shook her head. “No, I’m glad you did. I never would have had the guts to get up there again if it wasn’t for you. I felt him with me through the song, Spike. I know I can do this now and that he’ll always be there. Thank you for making me realize how much I’ve missed this.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. “You were so amazing up there, sweetheart. I’ve never seen anything so beautiful in my life. You have a true gift and I’m so grateful that you’re sharing it with me. I don’t know what I did to deserve it.”

Buffy pulled away to stare into his eyes. “All you did was love me. Don’t ever stop, okay?”

He smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “No chance of that ever happening. I’ll always love you. I don’t think I know how to do anything else.”

She returned his smile and planted a passionate kiss on his lips.

Spike was eager to return her kiss, picking her up a bit in the process.

Buffy broke away when breathing became an issue and rested her head against his chest. “I love you,” she whispered.

Spike held her tighter, never wanting to let her go. They could both live for a hundred years, and he would never get tired of hearing that. She gave him the entire world with just those words. He then whispered words in return that he wasn’t planning on saying yet, but couldn’t think of anything else more perfect to say at that moment. “Will you marry me?”


* * * * *


The song was "Elsewhere" by Sarah McLachlan. I don't know if it worked all that well, but it's one of my favorite songs and I wanted to include it. Well, we're almost to the end of this fiction. More time will be passing as I get to the end. I won't really say how much, but it would be revealed in the chapter. Hope you guys liked this one=)