Chapter 26

Buffy pulled away in shock. He said it softly, but she couldn’t have imagined it.

“Are you serious?” she wondered after a few minutes of silence.

“I wouldn’t have said it if I wasn’t serious. I know this is really soon…”

She cut him off. “Really soon? Spike, I just got out of the eleventh grade. I don’t think really soon is exactly how I would put it. We’re way too young to even be thinking about that.”

“Buffy, you need to breathe. I’m not talking about us getting married tomorrow. I don’t care if we get married in ten years; it’s not something I want to rush into. I just want to know that it’s a possibility in the future. I already know that you’re the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. I need to know if that’s what you want, too.”

Buffy sighed in relief. “Of course I would want that. You know, when we’re old enough for it.”

Spike nodded. “That’s good enough for me.”

She let out a laugh. “You scared the crap out of me. I thought you were really serious about getting married now. I was worried that you would pull a ring out or something.”

Spike avoided her gaze, then nervously reached into his pocket.

Buffy gasped when he pulled out a black box, opening it to reveal a diamond ring.

“Let me explain before you freak out.”

She nodded and waited for whatever he had to say.

Spike took a deep breath. “This ring belonged to my mother. It was left to me before she died. I guess she figured I would be the first one to get married or something. I always keep it close. She told me to give it to the woman that would steal my heart one day. This ring will be yours, Buffy. I’m not saying you would have to wear it now, but I plan on putting it on your finger one day. The day we officially decide to get engaged. It could be after college, whenever you feel ready. I would wait forever if I had to.”

Buffy had more tears coming down her face and didn’t even realize it. “I think it’s safe to say that you won’t be waiting forever.” She looked up at him to see that his eyes were also watery. “Can I try it on?”

He nodded and took the ring out of the box, placing it on her finger. “It’s a perfect fit. Just like you.”

She blushed and gazed down at the diamond. “It’s so beautiful. This makes me want to get married a lot sooner.”

Spike grasped her hand and kissed her knuckles. “We have all the time in the world.”


* * * * *


They all entered the house later that night, still discussing Buffy’s performance.

Joyce and Giles came to see what the commotion was about.

“She was really great, Mom. You would have been proud of her,” Tara said.

Joyce hugged Buffy. “I always am.”

She felt embarrassed from all of the attention.

Joyce pulled away to get a good look at her daughter, when she noticed something sparkling on her finger. “Is that what I think it is?”

Buffy’s eyes widened as her mother inspected the ring.

The others were just as curious.

“Oh god, my little girl is engaged.”

Buffy pulled her hand away. “No, I’m not. I just forgot to take it off. It’s not a big deal.” She slipped the ring off of her finger and quickly handed it to Spike.

He took it from her, but not before Giles got a good look.

“Is that your mother’s ring?”

Spike sighed. “Yes, I gave it to her.” He knew that wasn’t the right thing to say when he saw the expression on his father’s face.

“Oh, dear lord.”

Joyce cleared her throat. “Okay, I think it’s time for everyone to get to bed now.”

They moaned and groaned all the way upstairs.

Buffy and Spike tried to sneak away, but Joyce stopped them.

“Not you two, in the living room.”

Spike kept his hand in hers and headed into the living room after their parents. He sat down on the couch and pulled Buffy down with him.

Joyce was the first one to break the silence. “All right, now is the time to explain yourselves.”

Spike glanced at Buffy and decided to start first. “I did give her the ring, but it was only so she could try it on. I wanted to see how it would fit because I’m going to give it to her when we do plan to get married. Before either of you say anything, we’re not getting married anytime soon. We’re not engaged right now, but it’s going to happen. And when it does, we hope you both would be able to accept it.” He looked at his father. “Mum left me the ring to give to my future wife, and that’s what I plan on doing. Buffy is it, Dad. I know that more than anything else in this world. She’s the only one for me.”

Buffy squeezed his hand and smiled. “He’s the only one for me, too.”

Joyce took a deep breath and could clearly see the love that both teenagers shared for each other. It reminded her of how she felt for Rupert. “You are both going to college. If this is really serious, then I’m sure you could wait a few years before discussing any marriage plans. No matter what you do, we’ll be here to support your decision.” She looked to her husband for something to add.

“Yes, we will both support your decision. I think your mother would be very proud of who you decided to give her ring to, William. I know I am.”

Buffy surprised everyone when she got up to give Giles a hug, tears streaming down her face.

Giles was just as stunned because it was the most affection that the girl has ever shown for him, but he smiled and returned the embrace.

Buffy pulled away and wiped her eyes. “Thank you,” she whispered.

He nodded. “You’re very welcome. Now, I think it’s time for the both of you to get to bed. It has been a very tiring day.”

They gave their parents one more hug before heading up the stairs.

Joyce watched them go, then turned back to her husband. “They’re all growing up so fast.”

Giles agreed. “It will soon just be us alone in this big house.”

She smiled. “I can hardly wait.”