Chapter 27

Buffy entered the house to find Spike watching TV alone in the living room. She was surprised that no one else was around and sat beside him.

“What are you watching?”

He shrugged. “Just the news, nothing else seems to be on. This just isn’t right. Some bloke was arrested last night from forcing himself on a young girl. She was only about a year younger than you. The poor girl, he raped and beat her. It makes me sick to hear about stuff like that.”

Buffy agreed and watched the footage of the cops cuffing the man and shoving him into a police car. Her jaw dropped when she got a good look at the attacker. “Oh my god, that’s him,” she said, moving closer to the screen.

Spike looked at her in confusion. “You actually know that guy?”

She shook her head and turned back to him. “That’s the guy from the mall. The one that hit on me.”

Spike paled at this news and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her back down to his side.

“That could have been me.”

He held her tighter, relieved that it wasn’t her. “Let’s just be grateful that you managed to walk away.”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, good thing I was in a public place. God, I knew that guy was a creep. I’m glad they finally caught him. I met him a few months ago, there’s no telling how many girls he hurt in all that time.” She looked at her boyfriend. “Can we watch something else now?”

Spike was happy to change the channel after that. He settled it on Dirty Dancing because he knew how much Buffy loved that movie.

They were a little into the film, when she decided to break the silence.

“Spike, I think I’m ready to wear the ring now.”

He wasn’t expecting her to say that, not for a while at least. “Are you sure? It’s still really soon, Buffy. You only just started your senior year, and I’m in my first year of college.”

“I’m really sure. We’ll just call it a long engagement. I probably won’t be ready for marriage for a few more years, but it would mean a lot for me to wear the ring now. This way I won’t have to deal with creepy guys again. Everyone will know that I belong to you. If they still bother me, then I’ll just have to shove the ring in their face.”

Spike smiled and went into his pocket to retrieve the black box. “I told you I always keep it close.” He took the ring out and placed it on her finger. “So, I guess this means we’re officially engaged now.”

“Yeah, I guess it does. Our parents are gonna love this.”

He laughed. “They knew it was coming, so they shouldn’t be too surprised.”

Buffy pressed a kiss to his lips and then rested her head against his shoulder to enjoy the rest of the movie.


* * * * *


“God, they are so disgusting. Why can’t they make out in the janitor’s closet like everyone else?”

Buffy had to agree with Faith as she continued to watch Parker and Harmony play tonsil hockey in the distance. “It’s like a really bad car accident. You know you shouldn’t look, but you can’t seem to turn away.”

Faith finally looked away when it became too nauseating. “If you ask me, those two deserve each other. Why is she still around, anyway?”

“Harmony failed too many classes and has to repeat her senior year. We all have to suffer for it. I was so happy to finally be rid of her, but no such luck. I don’t know how she got with Parker, but I don’t care to think about it. She can have him.”

Faith nodded and smiled when she noticed her boyfriend head in their direction. “Hey, baby. I was just thinking about you.”

Gunn smiled as well. “I was just thinking about you, too.” He wrapped his arms around her and planted a hard kiss on her mouth.

Faith pulled away and licked her lips. “I hear the janitor’s closet is free,” she said seductively, then looked at Buffy. “That okay with you, B?”

She shrugged. “Sure, go ahead. You can do that since your boyfriend still goes to this school, while I’m stuck all by my lonesome.”

Faith rolled her eyes. “I’m sure you’ll see Spike at home later.”

Buffy watched them go and closed her locker door. She would see Spike later, but sometimes it was hard to even go one day without him.


* * * * *


“Bloody hell, I was going crazy without you.”

Buffy pulled away long enough to breathe, then met Spike’s lips in another fiery kiss.

He slipped his hand under her blouse and caressed her stomach.

She moaned at his touch. “We shouldn’t be doing this in here.”

Spike gazed down at her flushed face, knowing that making out in her room was probably not a good idea, but he couldn’t help himself. “I’m willing to risk it. Besides, everyone knows about us. We’re engaged now, it’s not like we’re going beyond snogging. I just needed to touch you. I would take you to the dorms to have some privacy, but I have a bloody annoying roommate. He doesn’t have much of a life, so he’s always there.”

“It’s fine, but I do have some homework that I should probably be getting to. You corrupted my innocent little mind last year and I barely passed.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “Oh, I think you were corrupted before I got here, you little minx.” He started to tickle her, knowing that was a weakness.

She laughed and tried to push him away, but he held her wrists over her head and continued to attack her with his fingers.

Spike stopped his torture when it looked like she had enough. He lay beside her and ran his fingers through her hair.

She smiled at the change in his mood. “Do you think I should get a haircut or something?”

Spike looked appalled by that idea. “You better not. I love your hair. It’s perfect just the way it is. My little golden goddess.”

Buffy was satisfied by his answer. “Flattery gets you everywhere. I’m sleepy now,” she said, yawning to prove her point.

He couldn’t help the smile that graced his lips at how adorable she was. “Rest for a bit, love. I’ll wake you up in an hour.”

She nodded and did just that.

Spike didn’t take his eyes off of her, until he also started to feel tired. It wasn’t long before he dozed off as well.