Chapter 28

“Dawn, what the hell are you doing?”

The young girl pulled away instantly at the sight of her sister. “I wasn’t doing anything.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. “It looks to me like you were taking advantage of an empty house to make out with your boyfriend.”

Dawn rolled her eyes. “It’s not like we were in my room, unlike you and Spike. It was completely innocent.”

Buffy decided to let it go. “We’ll talk about this later, but he needs to leave. We’re already running late for the church.”

Dawn nodded and glanced at the boy next to her. “Sorry about this, RJ. I have a wedding to get to. Maybe I can meet you at the Bronze tonight?”

He shrugged. “Yeah, that’s fine. See you later, babe.” He placed a quick kiss on her cheek and walked by Buffy, heading out of the house.

Buffy didn’t think he was a very good choice for her sister, but Dawn was sixteen now and probably wouldn’t take too kindly to her older sister interfering in her love life. Besides, who was she to judge?

Dawn glared at her once RJ left. “You are such a buzz kill.”

Buffy smiled. “Love you, too. Now, get in the car.”

She sighed and did just that. “I can’t believe Mom is letting you drive me. Doesn’t she want us to get there in one piece?”

“You’re too funny, Dawn. I happen to be a very good driver. I passed the test and everything.”

Dawn rolled her eyes again. “Yeah, after about five tries.”

Buffy started the car. “Shut up,” she mumbled and drove to their destination.


* * * * *


“I now pronounce you husband and wife, again. You may kiss the bride.”

Joyce and Giles smiled at each other as they shared a tender kiss.

The audience, which was mostly their children, applauded for the once again married couple.

Joyce wanted a real wedding after getting eloped. Now that she knew both families were happy together, she wanted a wedding that involved everyone she loved and Rupert was happy to give it to her. It meant so much that her children were there to share this joyous occasion with them this time. And soon, she would be seeing her little girl walk down the aisle. Buffy was far from a little girl anymore, but she always would be to Joyce. All of her children were so grown up now. She smiled as a thought formed in her head. Their family was about to get bigger.


* * * * *


“You’re pregnant?”

Joyce sighed as twelve voices came to her at once. It sure did bring back memories. She decided to tell them the news once they were back at the house. “Yes, I’m pregnant. You’re all going to have a little brother or sister.”

“That is so gross!”

“You still do that at your age?”

“I’m so happy for you!”

“This family is big enough as it is!”

Joyce held her hand up to stop the bickering. “There’s nothing to be done about it now. This baby is already a part of our lives and I want you all to accept that.” She looked to her husband, who still remained silent. This was also the first time he was hearing about it.

Giles gave his wife a smile when he realized her attention was now on him. “I think this is fantastic news. It just means that we won’t be having the house to ourselves as soon as we thought, but I couldn’t be happier.”

Joyce sighed in relief and wrapped her arms around him. “I’m so glad you feel that way.”

Everyone started to argue again, but Joyce and Giles were too lost in their own world to notice anymore.

Spike stood up from where he was seated and grabbed Buffy’s hand, pulling her away from the chaos. He noticed the vacant expression on her face and that she wasn’t arguing with the others. He was worried and wanted to know what was wrong. He didn’t let her go, until they were alone in his old room. “Are you okay?”

She finally seemed to come out of her trance at his voice. “I just can’t believe my mother’s having a baby.”

“How do you feel about that?” he wondered.

Buffy wiped her eyes to feel wetness there. She didn’t even realize that she was crying. “I’m okay with it. I’m really happy for both of them.”

Spike gazed down at her face in concern. “Why do I have a feeling those aren’t happy tears?”

Buffy took a deep breath and figured that it was time he knew the truth. “It was just hard to hear right now.” She decided to clarify after seeing the confused expression on his face. “Okay, I’ll just come out and say this. A few months ago, I thought I was pregnant.”

Spike’s eyes bulged and he was about to respond, but she held up a hand to stop him.

“I didn’t tell you because I wanted to be sure first. There was no use getting you worried for nothing, so Willow was the only one that I talked to about it. I couldn’t trust telling anyone in the family. It’s hard to keep any secrets around here. So, I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative. I figured since I wasn’t pregnant, there was no reason for you to know anything about it. I should have told you, but I was scared to. I know neither one of us is ready for that, but I think I really wanted it. I was really upset knowing that I wasn’t having a baby and I couldn’t stand to see the happiness on your face about me not being pregnant. I mean, the last thing an almost college graduate wants is a baby. We’re not even married yet, so that’s why I didn’t tell you. Mom suddenly getting pregnant completely took me by surprise. I felt sad again knowing that it’s not me.”

Spike couldn’t believe everything she told him. “God, Buffy. You could have talked to me about this. I would have probably been just as upset,” he said with a small smile.

“You mean that?”

He nodded and wrapped his arms around her waist. “There is nothing I want more than to get married and have children with you. It will happen for us, love. Just because you’re not having a baby now, doesn’t mean you won’t. We have all the time in the world. And when it does happen, I guarantee you’ll make me the happiest man on earth.”

Buffy felt more tears in her eyes. “I love you.”

Spike pressed his lips to the top of her head. “I love you, too. Always and forever, baby.” He moved her over to the bed, where they both lay down.

It didn’t take Buffy long to fall asleep in his arms.

Spike watched over her for a while longer, vaguely hearing the racket that was still going on downstairs. He caressed her stomach and thought about a baby soon growing inside of her. He couldn’t imagine having a child with anyone else. “What did I ever do to deserve you? You’re so perfect, I couldn’t have asked for anyone better. We’ll be so happy together, Buffy. I’ll never do anything to hurt you. I love you so much,” he whispered, making himself more comfortable by her side. He took a few more moments staring at his golden goddess and then followed her in slumber, with his hand still resting on her belly.

The End


Well, we’ve finally reached the end for this one. I didn’t want to drag it on so long and add a lot more angst, so I think that was a good enough place to stop. I have no plans for a sequel or anything, but you never know when something would come to me. I have another story that I’m hoping to post soon, but it might not be right away. I think I need to take a little break right now. Thanks to those that stuck with this one and always reviewed. I’m glad you guys liked it=)