Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews. I'm glad you guys like it so far. Not Your World has really gone downhill, so it means a lot that someone is actually reading this. I promise much Spuffiness soon, just have to stick with me=)
Chapter 3

“God, I can’t believe Mom is torturing us like this. She has nothing in common with that English guy. I don’t know what she sees in him, and his kids are total slobs.”

Buffy was starting to get a headache at her sister’s constant bickering. She slammed the book closed that she was trying to read. “Would you shut up already? None of us are happy about this, but you don’t hear us complaining all the time. I’m actually trying to study, which I know is something you’re not familiar with. So, take your babbling elsewhere.”

Cordelia glared at the blonde and stood up. “I don’t even know why I bother to talk to you, anyway. You used to be a lot more fun.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and turned her attention back on her text book. “Things change,” she replied.

Cordelia shook her head and left the room.

Buffy let out a sigh once she was gone and then grabbed her headphones. She put them on and blasted the Sex Pistols CD that she decided to ‘borrow’ earlier that day.


* * * * *


“Has anyone seen my bloody CD? I know I had it on my bed.” Spike ranted for what seemed to be the millionth time that night. No one knew anything and he decided to look upstairs. He came across Buffy’s room to see that the door was opened a little. He peered in and saw her sitting on her bed, bobbing her head to whatever she was listening to in the headphones. His eyes then landed on her dresser and he noticed the CD case that he was looking for. He was fed up and suddenly barged into her room.

Buffy took her headphones off at the interruption. “Do you want something?”

He only glared at her and grabbed the CD case off of the dresser, holding it up for her to see. “I haven’t even been here for a sodding week yet and you’re already stealing from me.”

She rolled her eyes. “I was going to give it back. That’s what siblings do, we always share,” she said with a false smile.

Spike was ready to wipe it off of her face. “I have enough bloody sisters, they at least know not to take my stuff. Maybe I should clarify that for you.” He grabbed her CD player and took the disk out of it, placing it back in the case. “Hands off, Betty.”

She stood up and glared daggers at him. “It’s Buffy,” she retorted back.

He only laughed. “Right, that’s a real winner there. What’s an airhead like you even doing listening to my music? You probably don’t even understand it.”

Buffy was fuming and decided to let that last comment go. “Did you just call me an airhead?”

He shrugged. “I call ‘em like I see ‘em. Now, keep your cheerleader self away from my things, got that?”

Buffy’s jaw practically dropped and she honestly didn’t know what to say to that, but she never got the chance.

Spike left the room and shut the door behind him.


* * * * *


They were all sitting around the dinner table later that night, no one knowing what to say to start a conversation.

Joyce decided to be the one to break the silence. “So, you kids are starting at a new school tomorrow. I bet you’re looking forward to it.”

Faith laughed at that.

Fred elbowed her in the side for her rudeness.

Joyce chose to ignore it and focused on the others around the table. Her eyes immediately rested on Buffy, whose head was down. “Honey, you should really eat something. You’ve just been staring at your food for the last five minutes.”

Buffy knew her mother was addressing her, without even needing to look up. “I’m not hungry,” she replied.

Joyce then glanced at her husband.

Giles knew the look meant that he would have to say something. He had an extra group of kids to worry about now. He needed to give them just as much attention as he would his own. He cleared his throat before speaking. “Your mother is right, Buffy. You should eat before it gets cold.”

She looked up at him. “There’s this thing called a microwave, I could always reheat it.”

Giles nodded. “Yes, but that’s not exactly the point. I believe you didn’t have anything for lunch, so it would be best if you ate something.”

“Why do you care? I don’t have to eat if I don’t feel like it.”

“Buffy! That’s quite enough, young lady.”

She glanced at her mother now. “What? Why do I even need to listen to him? He’s not my father!” she yelled, then got up and ran upstairs.

Joyce graced Giles with an apologetic expression. “I’m really sorry about that. She can be quite the handful. I’ll be right back.”

Giles nodded again and watched as Joyce also headed up the stairs. He then turned to look at the rest of the family.

No one knew what to say after that.

Tara got up the courage to speak after a moment. She wanted to make Giles feel better. He seemed to be really nice and treated her mother well. “I’m sure she didn’t mean it.”

Dawn agreed. “Buffy just hasn’t been the same since Daddy died.”

Cordelia decided to continue. “Yeah, she used to be a lot more fun. Now, she just likes to keep to herself and hardly talks to anyone.”

Giles took a deep breath. “Yes, I’m hoping she’ll be all right. This takes some getting used to.”

They couldn’t agree more.


* * * * *


“Buffy, we need to talk about this.” Joyce said once she entered Buffy’s room, only to find her daughter lying in bed and turned in the other direction.

She finally turned around after a few seconds. “I can’t do this. I tried to be all supportive of your decision and give them a chance, but it’s killing me. How can you just do this, Mom? How can you marry a guy out of nowhere and just expect all of us to accept it? Dad has only been gone for two years. How can you replace him already?”

Joyce sighed when she noticed the tears in Buffy’s eyes. She sat down next to her on the bed. “Sweetie, you know that no one can replace your father, but he would have wanted me to be happy. Rupert is a wonderful man and I know that he already cares for all of you. It’s only the third day of having them here, I don’t expect for you to adjust to it so soon. I just want you to try a little harder, honey. Will you at least do that?”

Buffy shrugged and wiped her eyes. “I’ll try, but I’m not making any promises.”

Joyce smiled and placed a kiss on her daughter’s forehead. “That’s all I ask.”