Chapter 4

Monday came and it was yet another school day, the first for the Giles clan.

Buffy rolled her eyes as she made her way over to her locker and saw who was standing in front of it. She chose to ignore him and opened her locker, placing her books inside.

“You have to talk to me eventually.”

She sighed and shut her locker door once she was finished. “I really don’t.” She started to walk away, but was stopped when he grabbed her arm.

“You’re being ridiculous about this, Buffy.”

She snatched her arm out of his grasp. “I’m being ridiculous? You cheated on me, Parker. I don’t have anything else to say to you.”

“It didn’t mean anything. You’ve been really distant lately. Kathy was just there when I needed someone. We only slept together that one time.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest, obviously not believing him.

“Okay, there were a few more times after that, but it was just meaningless sex. You’re the one I want, baby.” He tried to sweet talk her, but Buffy wasn’t having it.

“Goodbye, Parker.” She tried to walk by him, but he grabbed her arm again.

“I can’t let you walk away, Buff. Come on, we were so great together. Let’s just forget about the past.” He ran his hands down her arms.

Buffy shivered from his touch, but not in a good way. “You got one thing wrong, Parker. It wasn’t just meaningless sex with Kathy. No, what we had was meaningless sex, but it’s over now. I’m moving on to the less pathetic.”

Parker grew angry and slammed her against the lockers, not caring who saw them. “You little bitch!” he spat.

“Is there a problem here?”

Parker moved away at the sound of a new voice.

Buffy was surprised when she noticed that it was Spike.

“No, there’s no problem.” He looked back at Buffy. “I’ll deal with you later, Summers.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and watched Parker leave. “Please, you’re all talk, moron!” she yelled after his retreating back. “God, I have the worst damn taste.”

Spike smiled at her last comment. “Yeah, I’ll have to agree with that.”

She wasn’t amused. “I could have handled him. I didn’t need your help.”

“Right, looked like you had everything under control. Maybe I should have waited until he slammed your head against the wall.”

Buffy glared at him. “Why do you even care? It’s bad enough that I have to deal with you at home. I don’t need you harassing me at school, too. Just leave me alone.”

Spike was starting to lose his patience now. “Fine, I don’t even know why I bothered. You really are a bloody drama queen, you know that? This is the last time I ever try to help you.” He smirked before continuing. “You better hurry; they’re probably having cheerleading practice soon. Wouldn’t want to miss it.”

Buffy had about enough after that remark. “What the hell is your problem? I’m not a damn cheerleader, okay? I think the whole thing is stupid and I would never be caught dead in one of those outfits. My sister is the popular one and just because she’s a cheerleader, doesn’t mean that I am. I’m nothing like her. If you weren’t so quick to judge me, you would have figured that out by now. Why don’t you take your head out of your ass long enough to look around? You might find that we have more in common than you think, but you’re too pigheaded for that. You know what? I don’t even care anymore.” She walked away then, not looking back at him once.

Spike stared after her in shock, realizing that there was a lot he really didn’t know about her.


* * * * *


“You are a real piece of work, B. I was impressed with your speech to my idiot brother earlier today.”

Buffy stared at Faith. “I guess you heard that.”

She nodded. “It was hard to miss. You did yell at him in the middle of the hallway. I have to say, you’re definitely not what I expected.”

Buffy looked down for a moment. “He wasn’t completely wrong. I used to be like that. I used to idolize Cordelia and hoped to be just like her. I wanted to be the popular cheerleader that got all of the boys.”

“So, why did that change?”

Buffy thought about it. “It just didn’t seem important anymore. It wasn’t what I wanted. I don’t even know what I want. I just know that it’s not cheerleading. I’m not the airhead your brother thinks I am.”

Faith nodded again. “Yeah, I can see that. He’ll realize it soon enough. Spike likes to put on this tough guy act, but he has a good heart. He just doesn’t always know when to shut up.”

Buffy laughed. “I already figured that out.”

“A lot of this is hard for him. It’s probably harder on him than any of us. I know I hated this whole idea in the beginning, but it’s not so bad now. Joyce is pretty cool.”

Buffy agreed. “Yeah, she has her moments.”

Faith decided to keep herself busy and browsed through Buffy’s music collection after getting the other girl’s permission. She had to admit that she was pretty impressed. “Damn, you like a lot of the same stuff that Spike does. I don’t even care for half of the crap he listens to.”

Buffy shrugged. “I guess I’m not one of a kind anymore.”

“Wow, you would probably be perfect for him. You know, if he wasn’t your step-brother and all.”

Buffy was clearly not expecting that. She could never picture herself dating Spike. Not that it would ever happen. Like Faith said, he was her step-brother now. They may not be blood related, but it was still wrong. She just kept trying to convince herself of that.


* * * * *


“You know this isn’t wrong, don’t you? There’s nothing wrong with what we’re about to do,” he whispered to her.

“I don’t know if we should.”

Spike pressed a soft kiss to her lips and gently lay her down on the bed. “That’s what makes it exciting. I know you want me, Buffy. You can’t deny that.”

“I do want you, but I’m scared of what might happen. They would never understand.”

He placed his finger on her lips. “They won’t have to know, not until we’re both ready. You have to let yourself feel again. I know you’re scared, but you don’t have to be. I’m right here; I wouldn’t let anything happen to you.”

Buffy nodded and finally gave in.

Spike smiled and kissed her again, slipping his tongue into her mouth. He slowly moved on top of her. “I know that everything will work out. We’re meant to be together, Buffy. It was about time you realized that.”



* * * * *


Buffy woke up with a start, taking a deep breath. She could feel the sweat dripping off of her forehead.

“Buffy, are you okay?”

She turned to look at Dawn. “Yeah, I just had a bad dream. Go back to sleep.”

She seemed to be satisfied with that answer and did just that.

Buffy took another breath before she lay back down. “It was just a dream, just brain trash courtesy of Faith,” she mumbled, repeating the words over in her head until she fell asleep again.

It was a long time coming.