Chapter 5

Buffy didn’t know how to act around Spike after the dream she had a few nights ago. She tried to avoid him as best she could, but it wasn’t easy with him living in her house.

“Buffy, what are you doing?”

She was pulled out of her reverie at the sound of Cordelia’s voice. She then looked down and noticed that she spilled her orange juice all over the kitchen table. “Sorry, wasn’t paying attention.”

“That’s pretty obvious. What has you so distracted? It’s a boy, isn’t it?” she replied excitedly.

Buffy shook her head adamantly. “No, there’s no boy. It’s nothing. I’m just worried about a test that’s coming up. I should actually be studying right now.” She then ran out of the kitchen and headed upstairs, leaving Cordelia to stare after her in confusion.


* * * * *


“You should really give her a chance. She’s not so bad.”

Spike stared at Faith in shock. “Have you been abducted or something? You were the one that hated this whole thing from the start. Now you’re saying I should start making friends with them? Not bloody likely.”

Faith rolled her eyes. “It probably wouldn’t kill you. I’m just saying that you should at least give Buffy a chance. She may end up surprising you.”

He still wasn’t convinced. “Somehow I doubt that.”

Faith grinned and then pulled out her secret weapon from her back pocket. “I found this in Buffy’s underwear drawer.”

Spike’s jaw practically dropped when he saw the black lingerie that his sister was holding. He couldn’t imagine Buffy ever wearing something like that. He started to get turned on by the thought of her in it, but quickly banished those thoughts. “That doesn’t mean anything. Just because she has it, doesn’t mean she actually wears it.”

Faith shrugged and was about to put the lingerie back into her pocket, but Spike snatched it out of her hands.

“I’ll just hold on to that. You shouldn’t be going through her things, anyway.”

Faith shook her head, but couldn’t keep the smile off of her face. “I think I just proved that you can never tell what someone’s like from just looking on the outside.”

Spike watched as Faith walked away, wondering when his sister got to be so smart.


* * * * *


Buffy couldn’t concentrate on studying when she got to her room. She needed something to get her mind off of Spike. She smiled when she got an idea and went to her closet, taking her guitar out. She went back over to her bed, relieved to finally have the room to herself. She hasn’t played in a while, but it would definitely take her mind off of everything.


* * * * *


Spike headed upstairs for some much needed rest. He suddenly felt extremely exhausted. He stopped when he heard soft music coming from inside Buffy’s room. He wasn’t normally a nosy person, but couldn’t resist finding out what it was. He opened her door a crack and peered inside. He was stunned when he saw Buffy sitting on her bed and playing a guitar. He was even more stunned by how good she was. Spike didn’t know if he should make his presence known and just watched her for a bit longer. He decided that he would leave, when a beautiful singing voice stopped him. She had an amazing tone to her voice. He was mesmerized and continued to watch her, not knowing what else to do.


* * * * *


Buffy stopped suddenly when she noticed that her door was open. She had a feeling about who was probably lurking outside her room.

“You can come in.”

Spike cursed under his breath, realizing that he was caught. He just pushed the door open and stepped into the room.

“You know, this whole spying on me thing is really creepy.”

He ran his fingers through his hair, unexpectedly feeling nervous. “I was going to my room when I heard you playing. You’re really good, love. I never would have expected that from you.”

She shrugged and put her guitar down. “It’s just a thing. I get bored easily.”

Spike didn’t believe that for a second. He could tell how much she loved it. “It looked like more than that. Have you been playing long?”

“Depends, do you think six years is long?”

He nodded. “I would say so, especially when you’re sixteen.”

“I’ve actually been playing since I was three, but it was just a little toy guitar that my mom got for me. I wouldn’t really count that.” She smiled as she relived one of her favorite memories, surprised that she was actually talking to him about it. “My dad used to be an incredible musician. He sang, played the guitar, the piano, the saxophone. I don’t think there was anything he couldn’t do. I remember he took me to a club that he was performing at when I was nine. I was the only one in the family that was really interested in music, so he knew I would love it. I remember being so excited when I saw him walk out on stage for the first time. I was sitting in the front with a few of his friends. He looked right at me and dedicated the first song to his number one fan. That’s what he would always call me. It was like everything else faded away when he started to play the guitar. I was so amazed and proud that he was my dad. I knew then that it was something I wanted to do. It was about a year after that when I finally convinced my mom to get me a real guitar. I used to play around the house all the time because I loved it, but I mostly wanted to aggravate Cordelia,” she finished, laughing through the tears that were once again in her eyes. She quickly forced them back and looked away from his intense stare. “Sorry, didn’t mean to share so much.”

Spike shook his head and sat down next to her on the bed. “I don’t mind it. It’s nice that you were so close to him.”

Buffy nodded and glanced back at him. “Are we actually having a moment here?”

He broke eye contact with her. “We can’t have that now. It’s a lot more fun to drive you crazy.”

She rolled her eyes. “Please, I’m the one that drives you crazy.”

“Well, I can’t argue with you there,” he whispered, leaning closer to her.

Buffy’s breath caught in her throat when she noticed that his gaze was now on her lips.

The door to the room suddenly burst open.

They both quickly moved away from each other.

“Oops, didn’t know anyone was in here. Did I interrupt something?”

Buffy shook her head and stood up.

Spike followed her lead.

“You really need to learn how to knock, Dawn.”

The younger girl crossed her arms over her chest. “It’s my room, too.” She moved over to Buffy’s bed and saw the guitar lying on the floor. “Cool, were you playing again? You haven’t done that in a while.”

Buffy ignored Dawn and grabbed her by the shoulders, shoving her out of the room. “Come back later,” she said and closed the door in her sister’s face. She could hear Dawn stomping down the stairs, probably going to squeal on her. “God, younger sisters are such a pain.”

Spike smiled. “I hear you on that one. At least you don’t have any younger brothers. Connor is a bloody thorn in my side. I love the kid, of course. He’s just always following me around and wanting to be like me. It’s really annoying.”

“And you love every second of it.”

“Yeah, I really do,” he replied, not being able to get anything by her. Spike realized that she was really an amazing person and he had no right to judge her like he did when they first met. He was determined to find out all he could about her, including why she decided to stop playing the guitar.