Chapter 6

Buffy picked up her guitar and stored it back in her closet.

Spike was avidly watching her.

Buffy turned around and caught his staring. “What?” she wondered.

He just shook his head. “Why don’t you play as much as you used to? I can tell you really love it.”

Buffy shrugged and sat back down on her bed. “It’s not that important anymore.” She let out a sigh when she noticed the expression on his face. “It’s really not a big deal. It’s just a hobby that I had when I was younger. It doesn’t mean anything to me now.”

“I find that really hard to believe. You have a real gift here. I think your father would have wanted you to continue with it.”

Her look suddenly grew cold. “You don’t know anything about my father, okay? You don’t even know anything about me. I don’t want to talk about this anymore.”

Spike nodded, knowing that they would come back to the conversation another time. If he had anything to say about it. He just decided to change the subject. “So, what was that about at school today?”

Buffy instantly knew what he was referring to. “Oh, that was Parker. He was one of my biggest mistakes. We were seeing each other for a few months, but things didn’t really work out. I found out that he was cheating on me, so I ended it. He hasn’t been able to leave me alone since. He keeps giving me crap about how much we’re meant to be together. If I had a nickel for every time he fed me one of his tired lines, I would be rich by now. He’s such a loser; I don’t even know why I put up with him for as long as I did. So, I told him that I was only using him for sex to hide the fact that I was a little hurt. He wasn’t too happy about that, but I’m hardly scared of him. He’s basically all talk,” she explained, surprised that she actually confessed more to Spike. She realized that he was pretty easy to talk to.

Spike was stunned by what she said, but his mind focused on the last part. “So, you’re not a virgin then.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “No, did you think I was?”

He threw his hands up in the air. “Yeah, you’re only sixteen. Bloody hell, you’re nothing like I expected at all.”

She crossed her arms over her chest. “Is that a bad thing? I’m sure none of us are what you expected. I was starting to think that you weren’t such a jerk, but maybe I was wrong about that. If you even think about calling me a slut because of what I just confessed to you…”

He cut her off. “No, of course not. I don’t think that. I was just taken by surprise. I’m usually not wrong about people, but I suppose there’s a first time for everything. I was just thinking that you were this cute, bubbly cheerleader when we first met. I stand corrected.”

Buffy pouted at his choice of words. “I am cute,” she mumbled.

Spike had to smile. “Bloody adorable,” he replied, not thinking much about it.

Buffy was taken aback by that and could tell that Spike was equally as surprised, but she didn’t feel like getting into it. “Why would you be shocked about me not being a virgin? This is the twenty-first century. A lot of kids are having sex at ages younger than me. Come on, how old were you when you lost your virginity? I mean, you’re only two years older than me.”

Spike suddenly felt nervous. He was hoping she wouldn’t ask that.

Buffy noticed the look on his face and could sense what the problem was, but she was finding it very hard to believe. “You’re still a virgin, aren’t you?”

He knew there was no point in denying it. “Yes, I’m still a bloody virgin. Are you happy now? It’s not something I usually like to broadcast.”

Buffy stood up and moved closer to him. “It’s really nothing to be ashamed of. I’m just a bit amazed. You don’t seem like you would have trouble in that area.”

He shook his head. “Believe it or not, I wasn’t always like this. I used to have a lot of problems with girls. You can make fun of me all you want, but I plan on being in love before I ever think about that.”

The shock was evident on her face now, but it just made her respect him even more. “That’s really great, Spike. I honestly wish I would have waited. My first time was not exactly the stuff that dreams are made of. I would give anything to take it back.”

Spike saw the pain on her face and wondered about what happened. He took a deep breath before asking his next question. “Were you forced?”

Buffy looked away from him, not able to answer that. “We should probably get downstairs now. They’ll think something’s going on if we stay in here any longer.” She opened the door and walked out of the room, without waiting for a response.

Spike knew there was more that she wasn’t telling him. He was more determined than ever to find out all he could about his new step-sister.


* * * * *


Buffy stopped suddenly when she entered the living room. She saw Cordelia openly making out on the couch with a dark haired man. She slowly backed away from the scene, only to bump into someone behind her. She turned around to see that it was Spike. She then grabbed his arm and pulled him into the kitchen, grateful that no one else was around.

Spike could see the fear in her eyes now. “What’s wrong?”

She wasn’t sure about what to tell him. “I’m fine; I just didn’t want them to see me.”

Spike obviously didn’t believe that, but he remained quiet about it. He looked down to notice that Buffy’s hand was still on his arm, and it was shaking like a leaf. He then noticed that her eyes were focused on the entrance to the kitchen just as Cordelia and the man walked in.

“Shouldn’t you be upstairs? I was hoping Angel and I could have some privacy. I know that it’s too much to ask for in this house.”

Buffy only nodded.

Spike noticed that her grip got tighter on his arm.

The phone rang all of a sudden and Cordelia went to answer it.

Buffy grew even paler once she left.

Angel leered at her. “Hey, Buffy. It’s nice seeing you again.”

She backed up into Spike’s chest, not saying anything to the man.

Cordelia came back into the kitchen a few seconds later. “Stupid wrong number.” She noticed the expression on her sister’s face. “What’s with you?”

Buffy finally broke out of whatever trance she was in. “Nothing, I have more studying to do.” She quickly left the kitchen, not making any eye contact with them.

Cordelia was confused and turned her attention on Spike. “Hey, take him with you!” she yelled after her sister.

Spike glared at the cheerleader, then followed after Buffy.

Cordelia shook her head and looked back at Angel. “Finally, we’re alone again.”

He smiled and planted a kiss on her lips. Cordelia was a great girl, but his thoughts remained on the petite blonde that was trying to avoid him. She couldn’t stay away forever, Angel would see to that.