Chapter 9

Spike hauled Buffy out of the pool and placed her carefully on the ground. He saw that she had a wound on her head that was leaking blood, and that she wasn’t breathing. A crowd started to form around them, but Spike hardly noticed. His thoughts remained only on Buffy. He then tilted her head back and pinched her nose. He touched her lips with his and blew deep breaths into her.

“Come back to me, love,” he whispered and repeated his actions. There was still no change. He then placed his hands over her chest and pushed down, trying not to do it too hard. He did that a few times and breathed more air into her lungs.

Buffy suddenly gained consciousness and coughed up water.

Spike smiled in relief and gently hit her on the back.

There were cheers from the others around them.

Spike finally looked up to notice that they had an audience.

Joyce ran over to them and kneeled down beside her daughter. She wrapped her arms around Buffy and held her tight. “Oh, baby, you had me so worried.”

Buffy didn’t know what to say and returned her mother’s embrace.

“She okay?”

Spike stood up and glared at the boy that spoke. Without thinking much about it, he pulled back his fist and punched him right in the face.

Parker stumbled back and held his now bleeding nose.

Giles tried to calm his son down, but Spike hardly paid attention.

“You stay the hell away from her, you got that?”

Parker only nodded and walked away, still holding his nose.

Spike turned back to see that Joyce was helping Buffy up, keeping an arm around the girl.

Joyce looked right into Spike’s eyes. “Thank you,” she told him.

He just gave her a small smile in response.

Joyce took Buffy out of there and headed to the hospital to make sure that everything was okay.

The rest of the family followed behind her after they witnessed what happened.

Giles gave Spike a pat on the back. “You did well, William.”

Spike nodded and was really grateful that he paid attention to the CPR course during Health class at his old school. The thought of losing Buffy had him terrified and he didn’t understand it, but Spike had a feeling that he was about to.


* * * * *


“Mom, I’m fine. It’s just a little cut and the doctor said I don’t have a concussion or anything.”

Joyce continued to make Buffy more comfortable. “You can never be too careful, honey. I want you to stay in bed and rest.”

Buffy sighed and decided to give up.

They heard a throat being cleared in the doorway and turned to see Spike standing there.

Joyce smiled at him. “You can come in, William. You are a hero, after all.”

Spike blushed and stepped into the bedroom.

Joyce could tell that he wanted to talk to Buffy, so she left the room to give them some privacy.

He moved closer to her bed and thought about what to say. “How are you feeling?”

Buffy shrugged. “Not so bad, my head just hurts a little.” She sat up and patted the spot next to her.

Spike took that as his cue and sat down.

She took a deep breath. “I didn’t get a chance to earlier because I was kinda out of it, but I wanted to thank you for what you did.”

He found himself blushing again, but shrugged it off. “It wasn’t a big deal.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “You saved my life, Spike. I think that would be a big deal. I probably wouldn’t be here right now if it wasn’t for you. I’m sure Parker wouldn’t have bothered to jump in after me. He would have hated to get his hair wet.” She tried a joke to make the situation lighter, but a dark expression formed on Spike’s face.

“If I see that wanker anywhere near you again, I won’t be held responsible for what I do.”

Buffy was stunned by the anger she heard in his voice. “You seem pretty protective all of a sudden.”

Spike thought of what to say to that. “Well, you’re my sister now. I would have done the same thing for Faith, Dru, and Fred. I would have even done it for Dawn, Tara, and Cordelia. We’re family now, as much as that pains me to admit,” he said with a grin.

Buffy rolled her eyes, but there was a hint of a smile on her face. “Well, for whatever reason you did it, thank you.”

He gave her a genuine smile now. “You’re welcome, but you were wrong about that bloke being all talk. I think you should watch out for him. I don’t know if he took my threat seriously.”

“Trust me, he won’t bother me again. I’m not worried about him anymore.”

Spike nodded and hoped that she was right.

Buffy’s thoughts soon took a different turn. No, she didn’t worry about Parker anymore. She now had someone else to worry about. Someone that frightened her more than Parker ever could.


* * * * *


Spike walked the halls of school and kept a look out for Parker. He would seriously damage the prat if he got anywhere near Buffy. The protectiveness he felt for her went further than him just looking out for a sister. He just didn’t quite know what it was yet.

“Blondie Bear!”

Spike groaned at the screech that came from behind him. “Oh, bloody hell,” he mumbled.

“I was hoping that was you, Spikey. If you’re not doing anything tonight, maybe we could hang out or something.”

Spike rolled his eyes and really wished the bint would take a hint. “Harmony, for the final time, not if you were the last woman on earth. I’m still new here and you make a habit of bothering me every chance you get. I would never be interested in you.”

Harmony didn’t even look offended. “Is that because Cordy’s my friend and she’s like your sister now? It wouldn’t make things weird with us, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

Spike could definitely feel a headache coming on. “I can honestly tell you that has nothing to do with it. You’re just not my type.” He figured that was nice enough. The chit may have irritated the hell out of him, but he didn’t really want to hurt her feelings.

She thought about it for a moment, then her eyes lit up. “Oh, I get it. You’re gay, aren’t you? It makes so much sense now.”

His eyes bulged at her implication. “What? I’m not bloody gay!”

“It’s okay, Spikey. I won’t tell anyone. I mean, that would have to be the reason. I’m one of the most popular girls in school; guys just don’t turn me down. We’ll find you someone nice. Oh, how about Andrew in Science class? I think he has a crush on you.”

Spike groaned again and banged his head against the nearest locker door, which didn’t help with his headache. He then heard laughter nearby and glanced up to see Buffy heading in their direction.

“Why does he have to be gay, Harmony? Did you think that maybe he doesn’t want anything to do with you because you’re a flakey twit? I mean, that would make more sense to me,” she said with a smile.

Harmony glared at her. “This doesn’t concern you, freak.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “It does when it bothers my brother.” She cringed at the thought of saying that word. For some reason, she couldn’t see Spike as her brother, but wasn’t about to say that now. “Why don’t you go find someone else that’s actually desperate? There are a lot of losers in this school, it shouldn’t be too hard.”

Harmony didn’t even care to respond. She just scowled at Buffy and stomped away.

Buffy shuddered and looked back at Spike. “And that’s what you thought I was like? Hell would have to freeze over first.”

He laughed and put his arm around her. “You’re definitely something, Summers.”

Buffy smiled at the comment and walked away with him. She noticed that he didn’t even remove his arm.