a/n: Thank you for your great reviews and comments. As you can see, Spike has made a very concentrated effort to be the man that Buffy deserves... he knows that he messed up royally. He has not made physical contact with her since that first night when everything went astray. He is trying to insinuate himself in her everyday life, proving that he is more than just her philandering father in hopes that Buffy will see past the facade and his mistakes and see him for who he wants to be. And, that folks... just took this chapter up to 1000 words *smiles*

Chapter 11
Buffy found it very disconcerting that her friends had accepted Spike into her life so easily. No one had questioned the fast courtship or the fact that he moved in with her. Willow and Xander welcomed him instantly into their group. She almost felt like the outsider with how easily Spike got along with everyone. Even Oz got along with him, coming over with Xander to watch sports on the big screen television. The two American men getting enamored with world “football” as the days went on. Willow came over and spent quality time with her friend, knowing that once the baby came, her time would be cut short.



As it got closer to Willow’s delivery date, Buffy started to go over to Willow’s apartment while the men went over to hers. She painted a mural of a park and children playing in the nursery. Willow absolutely loved it. Spike would come over to fetch Buffy after the game was done, dropping Oz off in the process and peaking into the baby’s new room.



Willow grew bigger and bigger, ending up taking maternity leave two weeks early because she couldn’t walk from the car to her office. With Spike’s transportation help, Buffy stayed most of the day with Willow, keeping her company.



Buffy was fixing Willow a fruit salad when she came into the kitchen with her hand over her expansive belly, panting. Buffy looked up from the cutting board and saw the flushed color on the redhead’s cheeks. “Willow, what’s wrong?”



“Buffy,” pant, “I think…,” more breathing, “my-water-just-broke.” Willow doubled over in pain as her labor pains hit her.



“Oh my God!” The large knife dropped to the floor as Buffy hopped up and down. “Are you sure?” Buffy twirled around, looking for something, not quite sure what.



Breathing through the pain, Willow finally felt the contraction loosen. “Yeah, kind of think that little trickle going down my leg isn't the tons of water I've had to drink.” Willow winced at the harshness of her words, but Buffy was too busy hopping up and down and looking around the counter to notice.



"Okay calm down, easy slow breaths. Okay where's the...the thing." she made gestures with her hands, "Oh the whatchmacallit. Shit, Willow the..." Willow stopped her and held up the phone.



"You mean the telephone?" Buffy stopped her impression of a dog chasing its own tail and looked at the phone in Willow’s hands.



"Yes,” Buffy looked up at the ceiling, thanking God, “Yes, the phone, okay call Oz, tell him you’re in labor and to meet us at the hospital." Willow shook her head at her friend; sometimes she could act as the stereotypical blond. A few short minutes later, Buffy was running to the car, keys in hand. She hopped in and started the engine. It didn’t matter that she didn’t have a license, Willow needed to get to the hospital and Super Buffy could get her there. She put the car in drive and gunned the engine, only to realize Willow was still hobbling down the walk. Buffy slammed on the brakes and put the car in reverse, coming back for Willow. Buffy hopped out, opening the passenger door for Willow, helping her get in. "Hurry, hurry, hurry!” Willow shot her a look that could have made Atilla the Hun piss in his pants.



"Sorry but that marathon I ran this morning took a bit out of me. Oh, my bag… it’s in the closet.” Willow looked at Buffy as she sat in the car.



Realization dawned on Buffy and she ran back into the house to grab the bag. Somehow, they made it to the hospital in one piece, despite the erratic untrained driving of Buffy.



~*~*~



Spike walked into the maternity ward, carrying a vase full of white roses for the new mom. Buffy had finally called him an hour ago, letting him know about Willow and her new baby girl. Oz got to the hospital an hour before Willow actually gave birth, amazed that she went through only four hours of painful contraction to only have to push a total of three minutes before the baby popped out.



Spike walked into room 405 to encounter a vision of beauty. Sitting in a rocker, Buffy held a pink bundle, rocking back and forth in her arms. The tiny red face peaked through the cloth and wailed when she saw his shocking white hair. Buffy shifted the bundle in her arms, quietly shushing the baby. She looked up, smiled at Spike when she saw the flowers. She indicated for him to put them on the bedside table, next to a sleeping Willow. Spike came over to her and bent down to peer into the blanket. “Well, hello there, little poppet.”



Buffy smiled and cuddled the bundle closer, “Meet Ilana Rachel.” She moved her arm down, so her face popped out more towards Spike. He looked down at the vision; Buffy smiling gently at the baby, talking in soft whispers, taking care of this miracle. Madonna and child. Tears threatened to escape Spike’s eyes as he watched the woman he was falling in love with, so far beyond the lust he first felt all those months ago. She cradled the baby back in her embrace, comforting the baby as her mother slept

a/n: Originally the babies name was Tara, however, it was pointed out to me (despite my betas and my best efforts) that I used Tara as Buffy's skating competitor