Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for the reviews, you guys are great.
Chapter 16
Spike huddled deeper in his clack leather duster. Her mumbled under his breathe about stupid whelps and their ideas. The arena’s seats were ice cold and hard as nails. Spike couldn’t get comfortable as he watched the room fill up with spectators. It was Saturday mid morning and Xander dragged him to a local ice skating competition, in hopes to get a lead on Buffy’s whereabouts. Spike didn’t want to be here, he’d rather be at home, sleeping in his warm bed that still smelled sweet, like Buffy. Being here reminded him of her. Of watching her practice with her coach. The loops, lutzes, combos, spins, turns, jumps… everything here breathed as Buffy. Names like Choctaw, Biellmann, Rocker, Flying Camel were now names he knew, could recognize. He knew which side of a blade the skater should use, the foot to take off on and land. He knew it all and he hated it. The Zamboni whirled around the ice, clearing the debris and training slices as Xander sat down, handing Spike a drink container. Thankful for some alcoholic refreshment to get past this memory, Spike sipped at it eagerly. “Ugg, what the fuck is this?”



“Coke,” Xander sat back and watched the Zamboni do its job. “Did you know that there is a thin layer of water sprayed across the ice to make it smooth again?”



“Where’s my beer, whelp?” Spike yelled. A bunch of people around them looked at Spike, scolding him with their eyes.



“No alcohol, kiddy show.” Xander indicated at all the little kids in the arena. “It’s not a hockey game.”



“Give me a bloody break, would you? Not only do I have to sit here freezing my rocks off and look at the bloody ice, but now I can’t even drink a bloody beer while doing it?” Spike threw his hands up in the air.



“Relax, Spike. If you want to get her back, you are going to have to pretend to enjoy this type of thing.” Xander sat back, watching the Zamboni leave the ice. He knew there was a chance that Buffy would be skating here. He remembered her talking about the entry fee and who else was going to perform, he just hoped that she really was going to be here. He didn’t want to have to spend the whole day with a grouchy Spike without something good coming from it. “Look, sit back and relax. These people know Buffy, they’ve known her for years.” Spike sat back in his chair. Buffy might not even be able to skate, she could be pregnant. He didn’t use any protection with her, and he doubted she used any. It was such a spur of the moment situation, Spike didn’t even think of the consequences. And, now she was gone and he couldn’t reach her.



“So have you whelp, and where has that gotten me?” Spike groused. It was too much to be in the cold arena again.



“I may be her friend, but these people…” Xander indicated at the skaters lining up to make an entrance. “These people share a passion with her. They understand her, the call of the ice. And if you don’t understand it, then you won’t understand her.”



Spike looked over at Xander, the lights dimmed as the last minute arrivals took their seats, the show was about to begin, “I did understand her.” Xander looked over at Spike, silently disagreeing, “I understood and she left.”



“Look, Spike, I don’t want to judge, really, but… what choice did you give her?” Spike looked over at his friend, wide eyed and amazed. Silently, Xander went back to watch the local little children skate.



~*~*~



Buffy stood back stage, she had already warmed up her muscles, and now she had to wait. The anticipation boiled up inside her, practically boiling over. Her long time coach came up beside her, thankful that she was still skating. “Nervous?”



“Like a race track horse about to piss in a cup.” Buffy laughed at the grimace her coach made.



“Colorful language you’ve acquired.” The coached nose scrunched up, not approving of the phrase.



“Ahn, I was just joking… I heard it on one of those late night talk shows. Yeah, I’m nervous girl.”



“You’ll be fine.” She patted Buffy on her shoulder.



“Yeah, how would you know, haven’t seen me skate since before my mom…” Buffy’s thought trailed off, “I could step out there and land on my butt.”



“Or you can step out there and be magnificent.”



“Thanks, Anya… you’re the greatest. I won’t even do the Bunny Hop for you.”



“Oh, bunnys… so twitchy… why would they name that?” She walked away from Buffy and then turned back. “Oh, I saw Xander, didn’t tell him you were here.”



“Thanks, was anyone else with him?”



“Not that I know of.” Anya stood at the door, watching the little kids finish their program.



“Thanks.” Buffy stretched once more, relaxing her muscles.



“Oh, Buffy?” When Buffy stood up and looked over to her coach she continued, “It’s good to have you back and happy. It’s been a long time since you’ve been this excited.” Buffy smiled, it had been a long time.


a/n: Are you ready for it? Are you sure? Next chapter will be very interesting!

Oh, one more thing... I did receive on of those type of reviews... you know what I'm talking about. Seriously, I warned all the readers what was to come. I couldn't make it any clearer. I put up warnings on the actual chapter and warnings on the over all story. This is fiction as in not real! Although, this story contains depiction of rape, it isn't about rape... and I do hope the majority of people realize it. This is taking an event (like in S6 Seeing Red) and playing out a horrible circumstance and living beyond it. How they could potentially live beyond it... anyway.