A/n: I swore I posted this chapter yesterday.... I swear! So this is a little bit more of a tease as the two don't meet... but the are getting close. I wonder what will happen in their explosive relationship

Chapter 17


Breathe

In

Out

Steady



Buffy stepped out on the platform, watching her strongest competitor exit the ice. The crowd was still clapping, thoroughly enjoying her performance. Buffy wanted to puke. Not that Tara’s performance wasn’t good, it was too good. She floated through the air, and her elements were perfect. Buffy cringed; it had been almost a year since her last show. Other than the rink officials, no one had watched her skate but Spike. Trying to push down his memory, Buffy stretched, listening to Tara’s scores… almost perfect. There wasn’t much room for Buffy to take the lead. Buffy looked out in the black crowd, mentally scanning for Xander. Anya said he was here, she wondered why he would go to something like this, especially if she wasn’t dragging him here.



Her cue was handed to her, and she stepped out onto the dark ice. A hush fell across the room; she skated to the middle of the arena.



Breathe

In

Out

In

Out



The spotlight did a dramatic search for her on the ice, sweeping across the ice until it found her. Her head down with her hair loosely curled and arms above her head, Buffy hid her face from view. Only her green sequined little outfit was visible. Her feet were crossed, and then the music started to rumble in the speakers. Her hips twitched to the island inspired beat. She twisted, keeping her face hidden as the music started to crescendo…and she pushed off, slow turns and paces as she started. She heard whispers of recognition as the beat changed, increasing. Shoving off, she raced down to the end of the ice.



You think that we connect
That the chemistry's correct
Your words walk right through my ears
Presuming I like what I hear

And now I'm stuck in the web you're spinning
You've got me for your prey




Her first jump in the program came up. Buffy prepared her body, coiling it into a tight spring to take off and land a perfect double axle. The crowd went wild, Buffy smiled wide as she flew down to the other end of the ice. This was what she lived for. Her body relaxed, knowing this was home.



Sorry I'm not home right now
I'm walking into spider webs
So leave a message And I'll call you back
A likely story, but leave a message
And I'll call you back


She continued with combinations, increasing the level of difficulty as the crowd continued to cheer. Her energy increased, she continued to push hard, listening to the music and the cue hidden in the words. She knew she shouldn’t have picked that song, even if he was here, the meaning would have been lost on him… it was all his fault. She was perfectly fine in her little bubble world until he made her fall in love with him. Yes, it was all his fault.



You take advantage of what's mine
You're taking up my time
Don't have the courage inside me
To tell you please just let me be
Communication, telephonic invasion
I'm planning my escape...




Twists and turns that Buffy knew by heart blurred past her as she continued the program. Axles and salchows landed. Her body flew across the ice, racing for the finishing line.



Sorry I'm not home right now
I'm walking into spider webs
So leave a message And I'll call you back
A likely story, but leave a message
And I'll call you back



And it's all your fault
I screen my phone calls
No matter who calls
I gotta screen my phone calls




Breathe

In

Out

In

Out



Buffy felt a change on the ice. She wasn’t even sure if it was real, maybe it was her imagination. She was ready and she felt him. His eyes watching her. She was infused with warmth and encouragement. Not glancing at the audience, she continued the program. Her jumps seemed higher, the blade cutting through the ice smoother.


Now it's gone too deep
You wake me in my sleep
My dreams become nightmares
'Cause you're ringing in my ears.




Her smile bloomed, realizing the song was almost over, it seemed unreal. She really missed skating in front of people and the added encouragement she felt made the feeling so much stronger. The big finish was approaching and Buffy started to doubt herself again. Sure she could do it perfectly in practice, but that didn’t guarantee it now.



Sorry I'm not home right now
I'm walking into spider webs
So leave a message And I'll call you back
A likely story, but leave a message
And I'll call you back




Sweeping her legs across the ice, she built the speed necessary to get her though the last of it. Her body jumped up, tightly revolving. Once. Twice. Three times. Gravity working against her, Buffy landed and immediately took off again, hopping up and spinning quickly.



And it's all your fault
I screen my phone calls
No matter who calls
I gotta screen my phone calls




The song faded away, ending the lyrics and Buffy stood there, proud and ecstatic. Her arms stretched out above her head, framing her svelte body. She bowed down, knowing she did a good job. Her skates glided across the frozen canvas and made the way to the edge of the rink. Anya handed her the blade protectors and a huge hug. Smiling, Buffy let the excited blond guide her to the booth where scores were called. Buffy felt overwhelmed. Knowing that by tomorrow everyone that she knew would know that she was back.



Breathe

In

Out

In

Out



A/n: Lyrics from No Doubt: Spiderwebs… I found them online.