Author's Chapter Notes:
I know you are wondering what Spike was thinking while Buffy was on the ice.....
Chapter 18
Spike made his way down to the bleachers as the lighting increased. A skater was leaving the ice, finished with her program. Her dark blond hair and multi colored skirt floated behind her. She reminded Spike of a witch. He found Xander easily. “What did I miss?” Spike sarcastically asked.



“Oh, Tara McClay, good skater, very graceful. Was Buffy’s biggest competition.”



“Really? Now I wish I didn’t have to drain the lizard.”



“Ug, and Buffy let you kiss her with that mouth?” Xander shook his head as the lights dimmed again. He saw a small figure work its way out into the darkened arena. The sparkles on her leotard glinted, reflecting some light, the only visible part of the next skater. The spot light swept along the ice, faux searching for the skater. Finding her, the brilliant forest green outfit and setting everyone eyes ablaze with the flittering light. Her blond hair curled around her shoulders and hung in front of her down turned face, blocking the view. Her graceful arms were swept above her head. The almost Caribbean beat started through the speakers and the skater started to move her hips. She shimmed, letting her hips dip down. As the lyrics joined the melody, her body floated off of her starting position. Recognition filtered off of Xander’s face, it was Buffy. Spike was too busy trying to find his drink to even notice the look in Xander’s face or the petite skater on the ice.



You think that we connect
That the chemistry's correct
Your words walk right through my ears
Presuming I like what I hear

And now I'm stuck in the web you're spinning
You've got me for your prey




Xander stared at his friend flying across the ice, faster than he’d ever saw her skate. He saw her muscles tighten, ready to jump. A loud roar erupted form the audience when she landed. Smiling, she started her journey back to the other side of the rink.



Sorry I'm not home right now
I'm walking into spider webs
So leave a message And I'll call you back
A likely story, but leave a message
And I'll call you back



Spike looked up, only to see the back of the person in front of him. He was getting up to take his unruly child out of the arena. Sighing, he continued to look for his refreshments. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the skater jump and extend herself on the ice, but paid her no heed.



You take advantage of what's mine
You're taking up my time
Don't have the courage inside me
To tell you please just let me be
Communication, telephonic invasion
I'm planning my escape...



He found his drink, finally. Spike took a sip and sat back. He looked at Xander, who was totally enthralled watching the skater. Shrugging, he looked around, everyone was watching the graceful athlete. Little children with looks of awe studied the rink, watching the glittering woman lap it again.



Sorry I'm not home right now
I'm walking into spider webs
So leave a message And I'll call you back
A likely story, but leave a message
And I'll call you back



And it's all your fault
I screen my phone calls
No matter who calls
I gotta screen my phone calls



Spike finally forced his eyes on the ice, shocked to find the face that haunted him. There she was with a huge smile on her face, flying on the cold floor. Her legs twisted and turned through the elements, gracefully completing the fancy footwork.



Now it's gone too deep
You wake me in my sleep
My dreams become nightmares
'Cause you're ringing in my ears.



She was a vision, an angel flying down to save him. He watched her body relax, become one with the ice. She turned in his direction, and her smile widened. It looked so natural… so beautiful.



Sorry I'm not home right now
I'm walking into spider webs
So leave a message And I'll call you back
A likely story, but leave a message
And I'll call you back



Spiraling around the ice, she continued to push harder, jump higher, skate faster. His own eyes traveling over her luscious body even more trimmed and toned than before. Wherever she was, she had a gym and an ice rink to practice in.


And it's all your fault
I screen my phone calls
No matter who calls
I gotta screen my phone calls



Spike didn’t bother listening to the song, the lyrics lost on him as she finished the program. Her final combination made the people in the arena jump to their feet. She really did a wonderful job. Her movements stopped and she smiled up to the bleachers. Her smile firm on her face as she bowed and left the ice, only to encounter her coach. Spike didn’t like Anya, she wouldn’t tell him where Buffy went, even when she admitted she had been in contact with her. Jumping up, not bothering to talk to Xander, Spike ran down the bleachers, hoping to get backstage to see her, to talk to her. Spike quickly got past the guard to the entrance and slipped behind the scenes. Different skaters were milling around, listening to music and envisioning their routine. He jumped up above the small crowd, hoping to get a glimpse of her location. Out of the side of his eye, Spike saw Anya following someone in a green outfit into a dressing room about thirty feet away. Spike quickly walked over to the dressing room, only to be stopped by a large man. “Only ladies, sir.”



Spike looked up toward the heavens, “Bloody hell.”


a/n: That little scamp, Buffy! She is such a tease by running into the ladies dressing area... more to come