Chapter 19

Spike stood outside the door for “Ladies Only” for over half an hour and hadn’t yet gotten a glimpse of her. The competition was over and the public was finally allowed down on the floor. Xander walked over, “Talk to her yet?”



“Not bloody likely with Bubba over here guarding the bloody door.” Spike pointed at the large guard.



“She in there?” Xander indicated the door behind Spike.



“No, she’s in the men’s room. What do you think, Whelp. I just stand here all fucking day for the hell of it? The bloody chit hasn’t come out yet.”



“Hey, man, relax. It’s just that Anya is over there. Maybe she can get Buffy out.” Spike stood straight and looked over at Anya with his eyebrow arched.



“Wait, she didn’t come out of this door. In fact… barely anyone has.” As they looked at Anya, a door about fifteen feet away opened up, letting some ladies out of the room. “Oh Balls! There was another bloody door?” Spike looked over at the guard and he shrugged. Stalking over to the congregating group, Spike fumed. He’d been standing there like a nancy boy all the while, Buffy probably escaped through the other door.



“Anya…” Xander said.



She turned around and smiled, “Xander Harris, where have you been hiding yourself?” Spike walked up beside them, scanning the crowd for his pixie. “Spike, I didn’t know you liked these kinds of shows.”



“Uh, yeah.” Spike stood on his toes, hoping to gain enough height to spot Buffy.



“So Xander, you’re looking good, who have you been giving orgasms to?” Anya innocently batted her eyes while Xander sputtered a response of nobody.



“Anya, my boy here, Spike, is looking for Buffy.”



A dark scowl formed on Anya’s face, “I don’t think that is a very good idea. She doesn’t want any orgasms from your friend.” She looked over at Spike, “I’m sure your orgasms are nice, but she isn’t interested.” Anya turned back to Xander, “Did you know she won today?”



The conversation ended abruptly when the competition officials started to hand out the trophies. They listened as the younger skaters that were in the “junior” category, received their prizes and acknowledgements. Finally, the awards for the adult competition were announced. With bated breathe, Spike, Xander, and Anya watched the third place and second place winner graciously accept their trophies and money. Finally, Buffy walked up in a light green jogging suit and her hair pulled back loosely, accepting her award. She smiled enthusiastically at the presenters and waved at the crowd that cheered her on. In one split second, she met Spike’s eyes. Her breath faltered and smile dimmed when he saw recognition in her face. Then, she broke the contact and scanned the rest of the crowd. Spike started to push his way through the crowd, intent on getting to the mock stage area before Buffy finished accepting her award and shaking hands. The skaters from the “junior” portion of the competition surrounded her, giving an impenetrable shield ten feet around her. She turned away from him, walking to a room on the side, with the children following. With a flip of her hair, she once again disappeared into a room he was banned from.



Swearing, Spike received many poignant glares from parents and “junior” contestants. The bodyguard, nicknamed appropriately was standing in front of the door again. With one last glare at the bane of his existence, Spike stalked off in search of Xander, hopefully still talking with Anya. He looked around the small backstage area. Most of the parents were escorting their children out of the building, leaving only family and friends of the adult participants left. He found a seat and sat down. Xander and Anya were no where to be found. He watched the twin doors of the room she herded herself in. The skaters now exited with their belongings. Most carried duffle bags larger than themselves. He sat back, itching for a cigarette, but not daring to leave.



Xander strolled up, sans Anya, and sat next to Spike. “Did you get to her?”



Spike looked down at his feet, frustrated, “No, she’s playing hard to get. Damn bitch.”



“Hey, hey. I don't know what went down with you two that made her think she had to disappear, I have some ideas though. All I know that if she's here, she doesn't feel the need to hide anymore and if there is any chance of you two getting back together, you'd better watch your anger. Anya told me that she’s going to be in town for a while, but no permanent plans.” Spike looked hopeful at Xander. “She probably going to be pissed to find you still living at her place.”



“Yeah, well. Probably an inch of dust in my old place… not going to clean it, now am I?”



Xander chuckled and slapped Spike’s shoulder, “Yeah, I shudder at the thought of some dust. Anyway, she said that Buffy and some girls from the competition were going down to O’Malleys… she invited me… and you.”

a/n: I was re-reading the next couple of chapters and decided I needed to add more... so hopefully after a quick redo I will have a new and improved ending to this tale. I will touch upon the healing between Spike and Buffy after the rape, including his insecurities that led to the debacle. This story isn't supposed to be about how to heal from a rape as Buffy never received professional treatment.

Thank you for all the nice reviews, you guys are great! I replied to most of them, so if you are interested, check out my replies. If you enjoyed this, please check out some of my other works. Inner Sanctum is very hot! The Forever Series was my first work, but very plot driven.