Author's Chapter Notes:
Geesh I didn’t think I was ever going to be able to post another chapter. Thanks to those who tried to keep me motivated to write more of the story. It’s been a hectic end of the year and hopefully 2008 will calm down! Please review! AbbyLou
Chapter 18 – Confusion

“What’s with the long face?”

Spike turned his gaze from the window of the family room and offered a half hearted smile at his mother. “Nothing mum, just thinking is all.” He said has his gaze returned to the front yard.

“You were awfully quite during breakfast. Anything you want to talk about?” She asked as she sat down on the couch.

Spike let out a long sigh as he joined his mother. “How did dad tell you that he was in love with you the first time?”

Jenny let a slow smile bloom on her face at her sons question. She had a feeling as to what was bothering him. He just had to come to her in his own time. “ Well, it was the summer after High School graduation. We were out for a late night walk and we ended up at the park near your grandparents house. We were sitting on the swings just talking and he told me.”

Spike smiled at the dreamy look his mother wore as she recalled the happy memory. “He just said it? Just like that?”

“Yes.” She grabbed his hand when he didn’t say anything for awhile. “What’s really bothering you?”

Spike sighed and closed his eyes. “I love Buffy more than anything mum. Sometimes it’s so intense that I feel like I can’t breathe.” He took a deep breathe and continued. “I’m terrified to ruin what we have by telling her.”

“Honey, I don’t think you’re going to ruin anything if you tell her you love her. I have a feeling that she is on the same wave link as you are. I saw the way she looked at you when I came to visit last week. If that’s not love than I don’t know what is.”

“You really think she loves me?”

The down right hopeful look in her sons brought a smile to Jenny’s face. “Of course, a mother knows these things!.”

Spike was about to reply when the doorbell rang. “Now go answer the door, I believe it’s for you.” Jenny said with a wink. At her sons skeptical look she just smiled and pushed him toward the door.

Spike walked to the front door and looked through the peep hole. A huge smile bloomed on his face when he saw his dad standing there. “Dad! I didn’t think you would be here till Christmas Eve.” He said as she accepted a big hug from his father.

“Me either. But your mother was very insistent that I get here today. Something to do with a present for you.” Giles said as he bent to get his bag he dropped to hug his son.

“Present for me?” Spike asked thoroughly confused now. He turned to his mother for an explanation. “What is dad talking about?”

“Well, I made a few calls and thought that the best present would be this.” She walked into the kitchen and grabbed a white envelope off the counter and handed it to Spike.

Spike slowly opened the envelope and pulled the contents out. “ A plane ticket?” He asked even more confused when all his parents did was smile.

“Look at the destination.” His father said when all Spike did was stare at them.

“California? Why would you get me a ticket to…” Spike eyes nearly popped out of his head when it all finally sank in. “Are you serious?” He asked once he was able to think again.

“I called Mr. and Mrs. Summers and made all the arrangements. Joyce, Hank, and Xander are the only three that know about the plans and they think it would be a wonderful surprise for Buffy and you as well.” Jenny started to get a little worried when all Spike did was stare at the tickets. “Honey, are you okay?”

“Does she know I’m coming?” He asked after a few more minutes.

“No, we decided that would be up to you to decide, if you wanted to tell her or surprise her. Now go get your bags ready and then we’ll take you to the airport. Your plane leaves in a couple of hours. Xander has made arrangements to pick you up at the airport. His number is in the envelope with the ticket.” Jenny said as she moved towards the kitchen to make Giles a cup of tea.

Not having to be told twice, Spike started for the stairs. He suddenly got an idea and turned back towards his parents. They both reappeared in the kitchen doorway when they heard their names.

“I don’t want her to know I’m coming. I have an idea on how to surprise her.”

Jenny and Giles both smiled as they nodded their heads in agreement. Then laughed out loud when he hollered “You’re the best” to them as he sprinted up the steps.

After Spike got all his things together he grabbed his cell phone and dialed Xanders number.

“Speak into my good ear.” Came Xanders voice on the other end.

“Hey mate, it’s Spike.” There was a muffled noise, loud crash, then finally a door closing. “I take it you’re at Buffy’s?” Spike asked with a chuckle.

“Yeah. I take it you’re coming to wonderful Sunnyhell this fine holiday season?”

Spikes smile got so big Xander could practically hear it on the phone. “You know it mate. Listen I don’t have much time before my flight and I’m going to need your help when I get there.”

“Sure, what do you need me to do?”

Spike continued to get things together as he explained his plan to Xander. About 15 minutes later he heard his father’s voice telling him it was time to get going.

“You’re the best mate. I’ll see you tonight.” Spike said as he grabbed the box with Buffy’s surprise in it.

“Later gator.” Xander said as he flipped his phone closed and headed back in the Summers house.

“What was that all about?” Anya asked as Xander sat back down on the couch next to her.

“Family stuff.” He replied coolly. In his eyes Buffy was family so it wasn’t a lie.

“Drinks all around.” Buffy announced as she made her way in from the kitchen with her hands full.

“So Buffster, what are we doing this evening?” Xander asked. He needed to make sure she was here when he got back with Spike tonight.

“Mom said something about going to the mall this afternoon to finish up some Christmas shopping. I thought I’d tag along and see if I can find something for Spike. What are you two up too?”

“Quality time is in order, don’t you think Anya?” He asked knowing what she would think the ‘quality time’ meant.

“Oh good, orgasm time!” Anya said happily causing Xander and Buffy to roll their eyes.

“Anya, what did we discuss?” Xander asked as he rubbed his hands over his face.

“Oh yeah, I just don’t think it sounds as sexy when you call it ‘quality time’.” She pouted.

“Okay, I think I’m going to go change and go tell mom I’m going with her.” Buffy said as she made her way out of the room. “And don’t be having your ‘quality time’ on my bed!”