Author's Chapter Notes:
The song in this chapter is by the The Wreckers and is called "Leave the pieces" All the song will be in another chapter. Again thanx for the reviews! Keep 'em comin!!
Chapter 4 – Friends Found & Enemies Made

“I can’t believe him!” Buffy yelled as her and Riley made their way off the elevator to their floor. They had spent the day at some freshman orientation thing which basically consisted of a tour of campus and class scheduling, and having the rules repeated 50 billion times.

Now Riley was trying to calm down a VERY pissed off girl. “Buffy, they were just words, don’t let that jerk get to you.”

Buffy whirled around on him so fast that he had to take a few steps back. “GET TO ME?!” She yelled so loud it had Cordiela, Spike, and Lorne coming out of their rooms to see what all the commotion was about.

“Did you hear what he said? Where you not standing 2 feet from me? I can’t believe you stopped me! I could SO have taken him!” She was so mad that she didn’t notice the crowd or the amused look on Riley’s face appear.

“I grabbed hold of you because it wouldn’t do you any good to get kicked out of school for knocking that jackass out before classes even started.” Riley was trying to be calm hoping that if he was, she would start to do the same.

It seemed to have worked a little as she smiled at him and replied “I really could have kicked his ass huh?” The evil gleam in her eyes had him laughing and soon she joined in. Neither noticing the others that were just looking at them very confused.

“Someone want to fill us in on what’s going on?” Cordy’s question halted their laughter when they turned to everyone.

“Just me trying to save Xenia Warrior Princess over here from getting suspended from school already.” Riley replied as he shook his head and gave a little wink towards Buffy.

“What, you expected me to just let him talk like that? Who the hell does he think he is? I mean first of all the whole ‘Hey baby, where you been all my life’ line is so messed up. Does crap like that even work?” She cast a glance at the group standing in front of her suddenly feeling very sheepish at her outburst and at the amused looks they all were wearing.

Riley rolled his eyes and decided to come to her rescue for the second time in the last hour. “We were walking towards the lobby vending machines before we headed to the last lecture of the day. When we turned around after getting our drinks, this guy gets up in Buffy’s face and tries the whole ‘Hey baby, where have you been all my life’ crap. Buffy told him she wasn’t interested and we turned to go. The guy decided that he didn’t like getting reject and yells down the hall ‘You probably wouldn’t be that good anyway, one time would be enough and even then I know I’d be bored.’ Well as you can imagine, our little Buffy here saw red and went after the guy, fangs and claws showing.”

“I would have SO kicked his scrawny ass too if you hadn’t stopped me.” Buffy interrupted with a pout.

“Cupcake, your five foot nothing and a skinny little thing to match. I have a hard time imagining you kicking anything but a gnome’s ass.” Lorne said with a smile.

“Oh believe me she is MUCH stronger than she looks. She’s got a good right hook I might add.” Riley rubbed his arm where she had accidentally hit him when he grabbed her to pull her away.

“Drama, drama, drama.” Lorne replied with a shake of his head. “Well kiddies I think Queen C and I are headed to the mall now that the crisis was avoided. Anyone else wanna tag along?”

“Nah, I’m gonna grab a bite then head to the gym. I need to reinstate my manhood after being taken down by that scrap of a thing.” Riley replied nodding towards Buffy then giving her a small smile before he turned to go get his things.

“I didn’t hit you that hard, you big baby.” Buffy yelled after him with a roll of her eyes.

Lorne and Cordy both turned their attention to Spike who was casually leaning on the wall across from them. “Oi, hell no! I wouldn’t be caught dead looking at girly things with you two, I have an image to maintain you know!” He said as he started walking to his room.

“What about you Wonder Woman, you up for it?” Cordy asked.

“I think I’ll pass. I’m a little tired after my almost fight today.” Buffy replied opening her door and stepping inside.

“Looks like it’s just you and me sunshine.” Cordy said as she linked her arm with Lorne’s and pulled him toward the elevator.”

“Drama, drama, drama.” Was his only reply as they waited for the elevator to reach their floor.

**********

About an hour later Buffy was sitting with her guitar in the middle of her bed, eyes closed. While she was changing into some comfy clothes earlier, a tune popped in her head and she was now trying to put words with it.

She opened her eyes when a knock sounded at the door leading to Spike’s room. “Come in.” She said as she laid her guitar beside her on the bed.

“Watcha up to pet?” Spike said as he leaned on the door frame that separated their rooms.

“Got a song in my head that’s trying to get out.” She said as she grabbed her notebook and wrote a few more words down.

“Can I hear what you got so far?” He asked as he grabbed her desk chair and turned it to so he could straddle it.

“I only have the first verse and chorus done.” She said as she again grabbed her guitar. “No poking fun either.” She said as she adjusted the guitar in her lap.

“Wouldn’t dream of it luv.” He replied with a soft smile.

When Buffy started to play the first chords of the song, Spike’s heart skipped a few beats. ‘Damn girl, what are you doing to me?’ He thought. When she opened her mouth to sing he was a man lost.

You’re not sure that you love me
But you’re not sure enough to let me go
Baby it ain’t fair ya know to just keep me hangin round
You say you don’t wanna hurt me
Don’t wanna see my tears
So why are you still standing here just watching me drown?

And it’s alright yeah I’ll be fine
Don’t worry about this heart of mine
Just take your love and hit the road
There’s nothing you can do or say
You’re gonna break my heart anyway
So just leave the pieces when you go

“That’s all I have so far.” She said when she was done playing. She began to fidget a little when all he did was stare at her.

Noticing her discomfort, Spike quickly found his voice to reply. “That was amazing Buffy.” His voice came out a lot more strained than he would have liked but he was still kinda in awe of her at the moment.

She noticed the sincerity in his eyes and gave him a shy smile. “I think that’s the first time you said that.”

“Said what pet?”

“Buffy.” At his confused look she continued. “You usually call me pet, luv, kitten, or even Summers but never Buffy.” She said with a smile.

He just smiled in return and Buffy was finding it hard to breathe all the sudden.

She started playing around on her guitar not really playing any one song when she caught him staring at her again. She blushed as she asked “What?”

“Did you really go after that guy today?” He asked as his eyes watched her fingers pluck lightly at the guitar strings.

“Yeah, I don’t appreciate jerks like that talking to me that way.” Her eyes never left her hands as she continued, “Why?”

He moved to sit next to her on the bed as she draped her hands over her guitar. “Do you think that guy will cause you anymore problems?”

“Doubt it, he was just pissed cause I didn’t give him a chance. I am quite a catch you know?” She tried to sound serious but the smile that broke out on her face betrayed her.

“I’m starting to see that, luv. Just be careful.” He said as he winked at her and started to get up and move towards the door.

“You mean it?” She asked so quietly he almost didn’t hear her.

“Mean what?” He asked knowing full well what she was talking about he just wanted to hear her say it.

“You think I’m a good catch?” She asked, suddenly finding the pick in her had very interesting.

He thought about it for a minute then replied, “I’ll let you know when I’ve caught you pet.” He said with a smirk and then chuckled when her eyes grew comically wide when she realized what he said.

Not giving her the chance to reply, he leaned down and lightly kissed her cheek then quickly made his way back to his room, closing the door behind him.

‘He couldn’t possible want me.’ Buffy thought still staring at the door he just went through. ‘Could he?’ A huge smile appeared on her face at her face when she said into the empty room “God, I hope so.”