Author's Chapter Notes:
First I would like to thank everyone for ALL the reviews!! They are all greatly appreciated. The song in this chapter is "Reflection" from the Mulan soudtrack. It's a beautiful song and thought it would be very appropriate for this story. Now on with the next chapter....oh yeah, I almost forgot, I don't own anything from BTVS or from the movies I quote, just like to use them as my pawns. Now go...read....enjoy!!! Abby Lou
Chapter 5 – Surprises

Buffy was sitting in the common room going over her schedule for the next week. The first week of classes came and went leaving the whole floor stressed out. To add to her stress, Buffy had also gotten a job at the local community center helping with the youth music program. The kids were good, just in need of some one on one time. She had talked to her family and Xander yesterday and everyone was doing great. Buffy missed them all terribly but the actual homesickness was getting less and less. Spike was right, it did get better. A scowl came across her face at the thought of Spike. After that night when he said that about catching her, she had barely seen him. They did have one class together and did get to see each other for that, but it wasn’t enough. She wanted more Spike time, and damn it, she wanted it NOW!

“Goddess, what did that pencil ever do to you?” Willow’s shocked reply from the doorway startled Buffy from her thoughts and caused her too look down at the now broken pencil in her hand. “You okay? You look like you were in some serious thought.” Willow continued as she sat down on the couch beside Buffy.

“I’m good, just going over my schedule for next week.” Buffy said as she closed her notebook.

“How’s everything at the center going?” Willow smiled at the way Buffy’s eyes lit up whenever she talked about the center.

“Great! Tara this little girl about 12 or so has this most amazing voice I have ever heard. Only problem we have with her is that she is scared to death of an audience. When it’s just us she is okay, but as soon a crowd is there she freezes. I’ve never had that problem so I don’t know how to help her.”

“You need to find a way to make everyone else disappear for her when she is on stage. What always worked for me was to practice lines and such in the dark before I would do them in front of everyone. Made it easier to imagine the darkness later.”

“That’s a wonderful idea!” Buffy said as she hugged Willow and stood to gather her things. “I have the perfect idea of how to use that.” Buffy said as she headed for the door. “You’re the best Will.”

“Spread the word to all my teachers would ya?” Willow said with a laugh. Buffy just winked at her and headed for her room, already making plans to help little Tara. Thoughts of Spike forgot for now.

**********

Buffy was headed out of her room later that night. She had plans to meet Tara and her mother down at the Center and Buffy thought this was the perfect opportunity to try Willow’s idea out. She was heading out the front lobby doors when a head of bleach blond hair caught her attention. Spike was sitting alone on one of the outside benches smoking and apparently lost in thought.

“You know those things will kill you.” She said as she leaned over and spoke in his ear. She then laughed when he jumped so high he about fell off the bench.

“You know Summers, it’s not nice to scare a bloke like that.” He said as he scowled at her. But it turned into a smile when all she did was wink and reply “Paybacks a bitch huh?” and then turned and walked off.

“Wait up pet.” He said as he fell into step beside her. “Where ya headed?”

“The Center. I’m meeting with one of the students to try and help her with her stage fright. Willow gave me a wonderful idea and I want to see if it will work out.”

“Mind if I tag along? Haven’t gotten to talk with you that much since classes started and you started working, maybe grab a bit to eat after?” He was trying not to sound desperate at his attempt to spend time with her. When he was sitting outside he was planning on going up to her room and seeing if she wanted to go grab a bite to eat. He was just working up enough courage to go ask her when she ended up scaring the shit out of him instead.

“Sound great!” She replied with a bright smile and had to refrain from doing her version of Xander’s happy dace right then and there. ‘Ask and ye shall receive.’ She thought as they made their way a couple of more blocks to the center. ‘I guess I get my Spike time today after all.’ The butterflies started dancing in her stomach at the thought of him actually wanting to spend time with her.

They walked into the center about ten minutes later and Buffy smiled when she saw Tara and her mother waiting by the practice room. “I hope you haven’t been waiting long.” Buffy said as Tara ran up and threw her arms around her waist in a tight hug.

“We actually sat down just a few minutes ago.” Tara’s mother Sue replied. “Who might this handsome young man be?” Sue said as her attention turned to Spike.

Spike blushed at the compliment which Buffy and apparently Tara thought to be funny. He scowled as the girls giggled then introduced himself, “William Giles, it’s nice to meet you ma’am.” He said and shook the older woman’s hand.

“I thought you said his name was Spike.” Tara asked Buffy with a frown.

‘She’s been talking about me.’ Spike thought and tried to hide the smirk that was forming on his face but failed miserably when he caught a glimpse of Buffy’s blush. “Spikes a nickname, Nibblet.” He replied as he threw a wink towards Buffy.

Buffy made a big display of opening the door to the practice room and waited till Spike and Sue passed before she gave Tara a scowl. The little girl just giggled more as she made her way into the room.

“Okay sweetie, you wanna start with that song we practiced last time or try a new one?”

“T-the same o-one is f-fine.” Tara replied quietly. Buffy turned her attention to the girl when she noticed her start to stutter. Buffy realized with Tara that when she got nervous or scared her stutter came out more. ‘Now would be the time to try Willow’s idea.’ Buffy thought as she made her way over to the piano. “You’re not scared of the dark are you Tara?”

After seeing the girls shake her head no, Buffy glanced over at Spike. “Could you hit the lights Spike, I wanna try something.” At his confused look she just winked and turned her attention back to Tara. “Tara, honey come stand by the piano.” When the girl did as she was asked, Spike turned the lights off. The only light in the room coming from the hallway hiding everyone from Tara’s gaze.

“There’s nobody here but you and me sweets. Let the rest of the world disappear and just listen to the music, okay?”

“K” Tara replied a little more relaxed now that no one could see her.

As Buffy started playing the piano, Spike couldn’t help but wonder if there was an instrument she couldn’t play well. He found himself lost in the music and was even more amazed when the little girl started to sing.

Look at me
You may think you see
Who I really am
But you'll never know me
Every day
It's as if I play a part
Now I see
If I wear a mask
I can fool the world
But I cannot fool my heart

Who is that girl I see
Staring straight back at me?
When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?

Spike could make out Buffy’s face in the dim light. His breath caught when he saw the single tear that rolled down her cheek and the pride that showed through her eyes as she watched the little girl sing her heart out.

I am now
In a world where I
Have to hide my heart
And what I believe in
But somehow
I will show the world
What's inside my heart
And be loved for who I am

Who is that girl I see
Staring straight back at me?
Why is my reflection
Someone I don't know?
Must I pretend that I'm
Someone else for all time?
When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?

There's a heart that must be
Free to fly
That burns with a need to know
The reason why

Why must we all conceal
What we think, how we feel?
Must there be a secret me
I'm forced to hide?
I won't pretend that I'm
Someone else for all time
When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?
When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?

The three adults just sat in the dark in complete wonder of the sounds that just came out of the little girls mouth.

“Spike, please turn on the lights?” Buffy asked quietly.

When they were back on Tara started to fidget nervously. “W-was that o-okay?” She asked quietly afraid she didn’t do good because they were all being so quiet.

“That was amazing sweetheart.” Sue said as she walked over and gave her little girl a huge hug. She looked up at Buffy who still had tears flowing freely from her eyes. “Thank You.”

Buffy wiped her eyes and walked over to Tara. “All I did was make everyone disappear, that was all her.” She said as she wrapped her arm around Tara’s shoulder. “I knew you could do it.”

Tara just smiled at Buffy and threw her arms around her waist. Buffy closed her eyes as she tried to keep more tears from falling.

“You have the voice of an angel, kitten.” Spike replied and gave the girl a smile.

Tara smiled shyly at him and turned her attention back to Buffy. “How bout we call it quits for today? You did so good you deserve a break. I’ll see you next Tuesday, deal?” Buffy said as she smiled down at her prized student.

“Deal” Tara said as she hugged Buffy one more time.

Tara and her mother made their way out of the room and Buffy turned to Spike who was staring at her as he leaned against the wall.

“I bet I look like a big sissy, crying because of a 12 year old huh?” She asked as she made her way back to close the piano and gather her music.

“Not a sissy, that was wonderful, pet.” Spike said as he made his way over and stood in front of her.

Buffy blushed at his compliment and looked away from his gaze when he stepped closer to her. “I knew she had it in her, just didn’t think that it was that strong.” She said not really sure how the words made it out of her mouth considering how close he was now.

He put his finger under her chin to raise her eyes to his. “I might kiss you.” He said softly.

Her eyes grew big at his statement and she swallowed hard before replying, “I might be bad at it.”

His gaze moved from her lips to her eyes as he moved a little closer. “Not possible.” Was his quiet reply before their lips softly touched. His lips weren’t demanding at all, just exploring with light caresses as his arms wrapped around her waist.

Buffy’s arms came up around his neck when he moved to deepen the kiss. He lightly ran his tongue along her bottom lip asking for permission to enter. She moaned when his tongue made contact with hers sending an electric shock right between her legs. Spike’s arms tightened around her waist as she unconsciously started to rock against him, causing a small groan to escape his throat.

After what seemed like an eternity, the need to breath soon became an issue and the pair reluctantly broke apart. Spike leaned his forehead against hers and smiled as he watched her taking calming breaths.

“You okay, luv?” He ask as leaned back to look at her better.

“That…you…I….Wow.” Was all she could get to come out of her mouth. The blush that rose on her cheeks made her even more adorable in his eyes.

He smiled as he leaned in and place a chaste kiss on your swollen lips. “Let’s get out of here, ‘m starving.” He grabbed her hand and laced his fingers through hers as he led her out of the Center.