Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All characters, settings and storylines are property of the wonderful Joss Whedon, and Mutant Enemy; I’m just borrowing them for the summer :] I’m making no profit from this whatsoever, so please don’t sue me.
The laws of the school yard





“So,” Spike said as he sat down beside Drusilla at the lunch table situated right in the center of the cafeteria [of course], “Who was that? And what’s her deal anyway?”


“Buffy Summers.” Dru replied, but before she could dive into the story, she was interrupted.


“Had another run in with little miss Buffy?” asked a very voluptuous blond who positioned herself beside Drusilla. “I feel for you Dru, I really do.”


“Vapid little whore.” agreed another Brunette as she sat down beside Spike.


Drusilla smirked. “Spike, meet Darla and Cordy.” she said, and then she smiled sweetly, “My best friends.”


“Nice to meet you.” he replied; but they were both still desperate to discuss Buffy.


“Think slut-” said Darla.


“Meets serious attitude problem-” Added Cordy.


“Meets total inability to dress one-self-” Continued Darla.


“Add a little bitchy-ness, neediness and a complete and utter lack of attractiveness; and Voila-” Cordy said, smirking coldly, “You have yourself one Buffy Summers.”


“Not someone you like then?” Spike replied, a little sarcastically.


“No.” Drusilla said simply. “She’s not someone who’s worthy or our time; that’s for sure.”


Spike glanced down at the book the girl had dropped, the one he’d subsequently picked up, and decided it was probably not a good idea for him to ask one of these girls to give it back to her.


Resigning himself to having to speak to that acidic little troll again, he slipped her book into his bag with a small sigh.


At that moment, several more people joined the table; and Spike looked up as Drusilla introduced him to them all.


“Spike, this is Angel, Riley, Forest, Parker, Gunn and Grahame.” she said, then she pointed at Spike. “Guys, this is Spike. Play nice.”


“Interesting name.” said the guy that Drusilla had introduced as ‘Angel’; sitting down opposite him, and levelling him with an intent stare. “Should we expect to see you at football tryouts next week Spike?”


Spike almost choked on his lunch.


“Uhh, I don’t think so.” he replied, trying to repress the instant laughter that rose at the idea of himself playing football. Angel’s stare was still intent though, so Spike quickly changed tact. “No, I’m more of a music guy m’self.” he said; eliciting an immediate peel of squeals from the girls.


Angel’s look darkened, and Spike noticed his gaze flicker slightly toward Drusilla.


“I see.” he said darkly, turning his eyes back to Spike again. “Well that’s-”


“So Spike met Buffy already.” Cordy interrupted; obviously in an attempt to steer the conversation back toward common ground, and it must have worked since Angel instantly smirked at him; slapping him on the shoulder.


“Not much to look at, is she?” he asked, and Spike smirked back. “Did you know that she’ll sleep with any guy who offers it to her?”


“So I’ve been told.” Spike replied; and for some reason, he frowned, only slightly. “What’s her problem anyway? She just started yelling at Drusilla for no reason.”


“God, the girl has always had it in for Dru.” Darla drawled, and Cordy was quick to agree.


“She made a target of her the day that Dru got here.” she elaborated, and Spike leaned forward, keen to hear the story.


“Buffy used to rule this school, you know?” said Darla, and Spike’s eyebrows furrowed with interest. “She was at the very heart of the ‘in’ crowd; invited to every party; dating all the guys. Well...” she paused dramatically. “That was before we found out what she was really like.”


“She sleeps around.” Angel offered; and his friends all nodded; murmuring their agreement.


“She has a reputation.” Darla agreed. “And obviously we couldn’t have someone like that in our group.”


“Besides-” continued Cordy, “She has a real attitude problem. She’ll bite your head off if you even look at her a little funny.” she smirked, a small calculating smirk that Spike didn’t see, “Then one day she just went for Dru- with no provocation- and we kicked her out of the group.” she looked at her friend affectionately, “No one hits Drusilla and gets away with it.”


“Didn’t she hit Dru because-” started Riley, but Darla distracted him by leaning forward; giving him a full view down the front of her low-cut top.


“Because?” persisted Spike.


“Because I was the one who confronted her about her extra-curricular activities.” Drusilla said, “She took it the wrong way and proceeded to beat the crap out of me.” she pushed her hair aside slightly to show her new friend the scar that Buffy had left on her neck.


“Oh God...” Spike said; reaching out to squeeze her shoulder comfortingly.


“It’s okay,” she said reassuringly, “And at least one good thing came out of it; because everyone else finally got to see what she’s really like.”

______________________________________


“Oh crap!” Buffy muttered as she sifted through her bag, “Will- I’ve lost my note book.”


“Mmm?”


“My notebook!” she repeated, “God- it must have fallen out of my bag when I collided with that jerk.”


“Well, can’t you just go ask for it back?” Willow asked, then she looked at her friend and amended the sentence. “I’m sure if he has it he’ll give it back.”


“Unless he wants to make my life a misery in every way!” she cried, dropping her head into her hands. “All my assignments are in that book.”


“Your biology paper?” Willow asked, and Buffy nodded with a groan.


“I hate biology,” she whimpered, covering her eyes with her hands, “That paper took me, like, a decade and it’s due in next period.”


“Buffy, calm down, I’m sure this guy isn’t going to-”


“Hate me already?” Buffy asked, “Trust me- if they’ve gotten their claws into them, then he definitely already does.”

______________________________________


“So what do you think of Spike?” Dru asked as she trailed her hands over Angel’s chest. They had snuck off together to the janitor’s closet together, as they did everyday after lunch, without fail. “Think he’s ‘It crowd’ material?”


“You tell me.” Angel replied, suddenly becoming cold against her. “He was all over you at lunch today.”


Dru looked up at him; a slight frown on her face.


“He’s new.” she said simply. “He doesn’t know how we work.”


“Maybe you should have told him.”


“Maybe you should have.”


They glared at each other for a moment, before eventually melting once again; lips meeting with their usual frenzy.


“He’s pretty cool though.” Dru murmured as Angel’s hands began to wander down her thigh, “I think the two of you could be good friends.”


“Yeah?” he asked, “How can you know for sure? He might be just as much of loser as Summers turned out to be.”


“There must be a way.” Drusilla mused as her lips travelled over Angel’s strong arms, “Some kind of test to see whether he’s cool or not.”


“Like an initiation.” Angel agreed,


“Yeah,” Drusilla said, pulling back thoughtfully, “Actually, that’s not a half bad idea.”


Angel didn’t know whether to be insulted or not, “Don’t look so surprised.” he muttered.


Drusilla grinned, slapping him playfully; and he smiled back at her, glad to see that her affections truly did still remain with him.


“So what do we make him do?” she asked, looking up at him expectantly, “It’s gotta be something major, because then, if he doesn’t do it then we’ll know he’s not cool, and so not worth our time.”


Angel looked introspective for a moment as he considered what she wanted him to say.


Then, a few moments later,


“I’ve got it.”


“You do?” Dru asked, and that expectant look was back in her eyes; the look that made him want nothing more than to give her exactly what she wanted.


“Buffy.” he said simply.


“Buffy?”


“We should get him to ask her out; make her think someone’s really interested...”


“Ooh, I like it.”


“If he’s cool- he’ll humiliate her exactly how we tell him to.”


Dru giggled softly, and her arms wrapped around his neck tightly, and she murmured softly, before pressing her lips against his; “I just remembered why I love you so much Liam.”

______________________________________


“You want me to what?” Spike asked; dumbstruck as Drusilla batted her thick eyelashes up at him.


“Ask out Buffy Summers.” she said sweetly.


“Why?”


“Because,” Angel cut in; his expression dark, “We can’t let just anyone into this group. We’re a very select group of people you know.”


“Yeah, I get that but-”


“Because Buffy Summers is the haughtiest little bitch you’ll ever meet, and anyone who can bring her down a peg or two is alright in my books.” Angel said in a cold voice.


“She thinks she so...” Dru sneered as she thought about the girl. Then she shrugged. “It’s just been way too long since someone let her know just how much we hate her.” then she smiled again, turning her charm back on again, “Please Spike- you only have to take her on one date.”


“Whose to say she’ll even agree?” Spike asked, “I mean, she saw me with Dru this morning; she’s going to know that we’re friends. Surly she won’t trust me.”


Angel chuckled slightly, “Spike, let me reiterate to you exactly how desperate this girl is. Believe me, she will not be turning you down.”


“Besides, I’m sure you can be very convincing when you want to be.” Drusilla added; her arms trailing up Spike’s arm as she leaned in a little closer to whisper, “So, will you do it baby?”


Spike watched as Angel’s fists clenched.


“Yeah Spike, you game?” the taller guy asked in a tight voice.


Spike looked between the two, and then thought about the venomous little blonde who had crashed into him without apologising. Who had shouted at Drusilla without reason, and made a point of letting him know how meaningless his existence was to her.


Buffy Summers.


Sure, she seemed exactly the kind of bitch who needed a reality check.


So what did it matter if he ended up humiliating her, as he was sure was the plan?- from what he’d heard, she was fully deserving of everything she received, and he’d probably even be doing a good thing by showing her up in front of those she’d hurt in the past.


After all, the girl had physically scarred Drusilla in the past; he’d seen the marks on her neck, and that made his blood boil beyond reason.


Yeah, he thought to himself with a sneer, maybe this girl needed to suffer.


“I’m game.”


Drusilla squealed, clapping as she pressed her lips to Spike’s cheek.


“This is going to be so much fun!” she said; huge grin on her face. “Buffy Summers-” she mused quietly, “Is going to see where she belongs.”


A few feet away, Angel’s fists were clenching again.

______________________________________
A/N: Spiteful bunch, aren’t they? Please review