Chapter Four

He stood in the shadows looking at the young people on the ground floor, dancing without a care in their mind. Strangely enough, he was on the balcony of the one building he thought he would never step foot in again. The one building that he hadn’t visited in what seemed like a lifetime. The Bronze. He smirked cynically to himself as he thought how fitting the name was. The Bronze, where the bronze, tanned bodies writhed together to sinfully alluring music.

Fitting except for him. The scars on his face were not to be exposed to the sun for an extended period of time. No bronzing for him, then, Spike thought mildly, watching the girls dancing with their pretty-boy boyfriends.

That could be me. He didn’t want to let his mind go there, but he couldn’t help it. There was this hope that he couldn’t shake off. The hope that he could be in the center of the dance floor with a woman in his arms instead of hiding out in the balcony’s shadow.

A glittery laugh floated up to him and he twitched, tilting his head to see where it had come from.

That’s when he saw her. Blonde, smiling, dancing with some stupid bloke that was moving much like a chimpanzee. A low growl erupted from Spike’s throat at the sight and the couple making out near him looked up and moved away. He didn’t care.

All he saw was Buffy Summers as she threw her head back and moved her body to the music.

All he wanted at that particular moment was Buffy Summers as she swayed her hips and laughed and lived.

………

Buffy laughed as Xander went overboard with the crazy dancing.

“What?” he laughed along with her and wiggled his hips, jokingly, “You’re just jealous because you can’t get your freak on like I can!”

“That’s exactly it, Xand,” she shook her head and he snapped his fingers.

“I knew it!”

“You’re such a loser, you know that?”

Xander checked her with his hip, nearly knocking her to the floor, “But that’s why you love me, Buffster. Admit it.” He added on a Transylvanian accent and held out a hand towards her, “Do youu vant to dance wiv me?”

He lowered his head dramatically and stared at her from under thick lashes, trying to fight the inevitable grin from spreading across his face.

“How can I resist!” she laughed and twirled into his arms, successfully knocking him down.

They both laughed heartily from the floor. Xander leapt to his feet and helped Buffy up, who hiccupped as she straitened her skirt.

“Wow, Buff,” Xander joked, “You sure are a devil on the dance floor.”

“Oh, shut up,” she swatted his chest. She spotted someone from the corner of her eye and pointed “Hey, look… is that Professor Jenkins? I think she’s staring straight at you…”

“What? Where?” Xander whirled around to look for the professor he was heavily crushing on. “Oh… She is! Hey look! Is she coming this way? Is she – “

“Have fun,” Buffy patted his shoulder and moved towards the stairs leading to the balcony. “I’m a little danced out, I’ll be up there if you need me.”

But Xander had stopped paying attention the moment Professor Jenkins stopped in front of him. Buffy shook her head with a smile and made her way up the stairs.

………

After a little while of leaning on the railing, she felt two arms wrap around her waist from behind. At first, she stiffened, but when she realized who it was, she allowed herself to relax.

“I thought I sensed you somewhere,” she said softly, closing her eyes as he pressed his body gently against hers.

“You can sense me, love?” his voice was deep and his breath was hot against her neck.

“I always can.”

His hands moved tantalizingly slow up her thighs and under her skirt. She closed her eyes and let out a tiny gasp as she felt his fingers brush against her panties and move them aside.

Without realizing it, she spread her legs further apart when she heard him unzipping his pants and moving in closer to her. Her grip on the railing tightened and her heart raced faster as the adrenaline of the situation rushed to her head.

Oh, God,” she whispered, her voice a little bit choked as he surged up into her from behind.

“Shh,” he hushed her as she moaned, “wouldn’t want to catch any attention now, would we?”

“No… no atten…”

Her hips moved with his and she squeezed her eyes shut at the intensity. She was in blissful agony and the idea of getting caught was turning her on.

He buried his head in her hair and inhaled deeply as he started a steady rhythm. She smelled so good, like a faded scent of strawberries and Buffy mixed up in one delicious dessert.

This was different from those other times on the beach. He hadn’t come here expecting sex from her, but when he saw her climbing the stairs, he knew he had to have her. It was something animalistic that had gone off in his head when he saw her dancing before. Something that kept saying mine, mine, mine.

At the little muffled sounds she was making, he sped up his thrusts, feeling himself about to go over the edge.

Buffy… fuck, Buffy…” he repeated her name in her ear over and over again. He couldn’t help it.

Keep talking… uhn… Spike…

He felt her muscles start to clamp down on him and pounded into her even faster, bending her more over the railing as he sought his own release.

When it finally came, he collapsed over her, and held on to the railing as well, hands on both side of her.

And nobody even noticed.

………

Later on, when he was safe and alone in his room, he thought about her face as she turned around to kiss him. She had looked at him with the lights of the club bouncing off his disfigurements and caressed them tenderly before bringing her lips to his.

At that moment, he held onto her and broke down. When she had tasted the saltiness of his tears, she lifted his face to study his eyes, then walked him back to a couch and sat down with him.

She asked him what’s wrong and he just shook his head. She let him bury his face on her shoulders and cry a years worth of tears.

“Fuck, Buffy,” he had held her face to his and pressed his forehead to hers, “I’m not worth it.”

She shook her head and kissed him again, saying in his ears “Of course you are. You’re True Love.”

At that moment, he decided to go through with the surgery. He wanted to see the look on her face when she saw him all patched up without the scars marring him. If the look she gave him when he was ugly sent him to the moon and back, what would the look be like when he was beautiful again?

It would be worth the world and more.