Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you Jeanie for your help!

If you like what you read, let me know
Very Virgin Mary

Chapter 4



Spike was looking for Harmony. He hadn’t seen her in a couple of days and his need to find the girl behind the voice was growing stronger and stronger. He wanted to confront her, tell her that he knew who she really was and that he wanted to get to know her…among other things.


He searched for her in the hallway but didn’t see her, he hung around her classmates, but she was no where to be found. He felt more annoyed that he’d ever felt but finally the bell rang and he had to go to his own class.


He sat down behind his bench, not noticing that his English teacher watched the class with an unusual sad look on her face.


“I have something to tell you.” The low voice that Anne Hayworth used to say that one line stood in blatant relief to her usual cheery, up beat tone of voice. ”Something terrible has happened. Last night one of our students – Harmony Kendall – committed suicide. There will be a memorial service later this afternoon.”


Spike’s mind went blank for a second. Harmony…but. Very Virgin Mary had been on the air until at least midnight. Then it wasn’t her. It couldn’t be. Or could it? For a moment one could hear a needle falling to the floor in the room; then the silence was broken as the chubby new girl rushed out of the room. Acting on pure impulse, Spike followed her.


Buffy desperately needed air. She rushed through the school corridors, finding the entrance. The sun stung her eyes. The birds laughed at her. Her stomach turned. She walked aimlessly through the streets, the sun basked world around her taking on a shade of dark. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. She double over and threw up, an orange and green mix spilling onto the payment.


Fifteen minutes later as she walked into the post office she hid her face behind a pair of black glasses and emptied her post-box. She tucked a pile of letters, including a red one, beneath her shirt. I’ll miss you Mr. Beat-me-eat-me guy.


She walked home, grateful when an empty house greeted her. Everything that normally empowered her, making her feel at home, now only seemed for what they were. Her small penis-shaped toys only seemed tacky; her posters of bands reminded her that most of the band members had died of over-dosing a long time ago, the stuffed animals on her bed seemed juvenile and ridiculous. The overfull wastebasket that she liked that way because she thought of it as a personal statement now only looked….dirty.


In a fit of rage she threw the piles of letters she’d received in a plastic bag, making sure to get all of them and then she walked out on the balcony and started up the grill. She emptied the bag over the grill, the letters soaring through the air like birds on a windy day. Then she drenched them in an excess of flammable liquid.


“What do you think you’re doing, luv?”


Buffy jumped in surprise and quickly spun to look behind her. A pair of feet in black heavy army boots, a pair of legs encased in black jeans, a torso dressed in a grey sweatshirt. Blond hair. She vaguely recognized him from school. One of those guys that weren’t jockeys but rather always looked a bit too moody for their own good.


“Don’t worry, I’m not gonna rat you out or anything” The blonde spoke.


Buffy didn’t say a word, but simply turned back to the grill, lit a match and let the flames feast on written words.


“It wasn’t your bloody fault you know”


Buffy watched the letters burn and crumble.


“Talk to me”


Buffy kept still and heard a frustrated snarl from behind her.


“Say something. Tell me to get the hell out. Just say something!”

“I can’t!”

“What do you mean you can’t?”

“I can’t talk to you!"


She walked back inside and left him behind. She was relieved when he didn’t follow. Buffy let out a breath, her body shaking. She crept under her bed and retrieved two beer cans, put on music and walked about the room, sipping beer and trying to get her emotions under control. Finally she sat down at her desk, flipping on the Air button. She leaned forward, taking the mike in both hands.


“I never said; don’t do it. I’m sorry. My god, I’m totally freaking out here. A girl decides to kill herself and everyone goes; oh whyyy, oh whyyy; when truth is; going to high school is sometimes less fun than being dead…”



In the staff room at Sunnydale High the teachers were having an extra meeting.
Counselor David Deaver shook his head “She’s only making it worse.”


Loretta Crestwood on the other hand lit up “Oh boy, now she just made it so easy for me to talk to the school board into giving me the resources to find out who she is and expel her.”



“…but I’m not saying that killing yourself is easy. Oh no. You are sitting there, and you have all these thought swimming in your head, you pull the trigger and then you lie there with shit in your shorts. And then people who never knew you are crying over you. And then what? You are sitting up there on your little cloud, playing your harp. Guess what; it’s fucking boring!”


“Buffy? Open the door right now!”


Never had she moved faster as she threw a cover over the transmitter and made a leap, worthy of an Olympic Games medal, to the couch just before her parents opened the door.


“Buffy what are you doing? Who are you talking to?”

“I’m reading. Aloud.”

“Do you think we are stupid?”

“She was talking to me” Spike came in from the balcony, having pulled off his sweater and now wearing a black t-shirt, his hair messy.

Hank and Joyce looked like their eyes were about to fall out their sockets as they regarded him. “Thank God. For a second there we thought she was that radio dj”.

“Dad!”

Joyce nudged Hank’s shoulder. “Buffy. You never told us you would have company.”

“Yeah.” Buffy tried to sound casual. “We are studying. This is…”

“William” William extended his hand to her parents.

“Well hello William” Hank greeted.

“Hello”

“Maybe we should leave you alone and let you get back to your..studying.” Joyce looked happy enough to burst. She nudged her husband’s shoulder. “All right. Bye…William.” Hank closed the door behind them.
And then nothing. Buffy just looked at the blonde who stared back.

“Do you know who I am?”


Buffy shook her head.


“But you do. Know me. I’m the eat-me.beat.me-guy”


Buffy backed up against the wall, Spike stepped closer.


“You don’t believe me?”


Buffy didn’t know what to say, it was all too much. And he was a guy. A guy!


“If you won’t come to me, I will come to you.” He placed one hand flat against the wall next to her head and leaned in close. She thought he was gonna kiss her. She closed her eyes, her lips separating slightly. Then the warm breath was gone. She opened her eyes and watched him walking out the balcony door, his coat flapping behind him. “So long, Mary”


Below in the kitchen Hank and Joyce smiled happily towards each other. Not only had they established that their daughter was not Very Virgin Mary, but that she also had a boyfriend. Everything would turn out well after all.




The End of Chapter 4.


tbc....