Dawn grinned as her sister leaned over the cooker and poked dispiritedly at a grey-looking mass in the fry pan.

“It looks so easy when mom does this, her pancakes are always yummy. This just looks disgusting! I really wanted to give you something other than takeaway again.” Buffy said disconsolately. “Stupid cooking, who knew it was so difficult?”

Dawn rubbed her sister’s arm consolingly. “Maybe it’ll taste better than it looks?” She said hopefully.

They both stared at the ever darkening lump, chorused. “Nah!” and giggled, hugging each other.

Switching off the cooker and dumping the offending “pancake” in the trash, Buffy was glad she’d had the idea of having a special time with her sister. Earlier, when she’d heard Dawn talking to Spike, she’d been horrified at the despair in her sister’s voice. She supposed she should have been upset that Dawn was talking to, and asking the advice of, a vampire, but he’d made so much sense that she’d been happy to leave it to him. Again, she marveled that a dead, cold-hearted killer could have so much insight and – well – kindness in him.

Her reverie was interrupted by a loud crash, and her heart constricted, as Glory strolled in and looked round.

“So this is where the Slayer lives. Mmmm, so cute I can’t even stand it. Personally? I need more space, but, uh, this is good for you, it’s, it’s so quaint and…”

“What do you want?” Buffy had moved in front of her sister and crossed her arms, willing herself to be calm.

“The Key. Why else do you think I’d come here? See, I think you know where it is, and that’s a good thing.”

Buffy glared at her, “I’m glad you think so.”

“Well, it’s the only thing keeping you alive right now. Because you may be tiny queen in vampire world, but to me you’re a bug. You should get down on your knees and worship me!” The last words Glory yelled so loud that Dawn thought her eardrums would burst.


___________________________________________


Earlier, after the girls left, Spike had tried to go back to sleep, but it eluded him. Instead, reluctantly, he thought about what had happened in the last few days. The impact of the way he had dusted Drusilla, had lessened in the last day or so, but it still hurt and he supposed it always would. And now, what the hell was he going to do? It had been bad enough that he was toothless, but now he was also sightless. He couldn’t stay here, a charity case, looked after by his erstwhile deadly enemy, like an old worn-out family pet. Dark depression came down and covered him like a heavy blanket.

He was aware that the Scoobies had left, and had tuned out their annoying goodbye chatter. He heard his girls gossiping and giggling and it raised his spirits a little for a while. Maybe it was better he couldn’t see, then he wouldn’t have to put up with the pity in their expressions that would inevitably develop.

No, he made up his mind; he’d leave – quietly – perhaps tonight, when they’d gone to sleep. He knew the way back to his crypt – blindfold, ironically; he’d be able to make it, as long as he didn’t bump into any nasties on the way. What he’d do when he got there, he didn’t think about.

Suddenly, he heard the sound of raised voices upstairs.

__________________________________


Glory ranted on, “You still think it’s neat having Slayer strength. Ooh, big deal! Stronger than humans! Who isn’t? I could crush the life from you as easy as you’d break a nail. But I need the Key.”

Glory seemed to see Dawn for the first time. “Hey, little girl. Come here – I’ll bet you know where my Key is.”

Dawn gasped, and tried to make herself smaller, her heart beating like a drum.

“This is between you and me” Buffy said desperately. “Leave her out of this.”

“No, this is between me and my Key.” Glory sneered. “You just happen to be the thing in the way.”

“Wouldn’t piss the Slayer off, if I were you.” A new voice, cold and hard, startled them all. The three women stared at the dark-clad figure leaning insouciantly against the door frame. Spike sneered at the goddess, his face twisted with hatred.

Glory strode up to him and sniffed loudly. “You have a vampire staying here?” She said contemptuously. “A slayer with her own pet vampire – how deliciously disgusting!” With that she carelessly backhanded Spike, his head snapping back to hit the wall behind him.

He straightened slowly, licking at his cut lip. “Did you hear what happened to your ugly acolytes? I was there when they went up like they were soused in petrol. That was for just *touching* her little sis. She’s very protective of her friends and family.”

“You let this half-breed boyfriend of yours speak for you?” Glory said incredulously.

“He seems to be doing a good job so far.” Buffy smiled mirthlessly, her heart thumping like a trip-hammer. “Anything else you want to say? Only I don’t want the carpet singed. Maybe we should take this outside?”

Glory glared at them in turn. “Just give me my key, you either have it or you know where to find it. You can’t protect your little friends all of the time. I’ll kill them one by one, until you give me what’s mine!”

With that, she stormed out. Buffy ran to the door and slammed it shut. Leaning against it, she glanced over to Spike, who was looking back at her with a stunned expression on his face. Must be concussion, Buffy thought, and then she suddenly realized that he was *looking at her*.

“Spike, you can see?”

“Yeah. The bloody bitch did me a favour. Bam! My head hits the wall and bingo! I have working eye balls.” He was grinning like a maniac, when they both heard a small moan.

Dawn had collapsed where she’d stood, her legs giving way when the she-god had gone. Buffy ran across to her and knelt by her side. Spike came to stand next to them, not knowing what to do to help, shuffling awkwardly from foot to foot. Buffy gently picked her sister up and laid her on the couch.

“It’s all right Dawnie, she’s gone.” The Slayer smoothed her sister’s hair from her face and tried to smile reassuringly.

“What do we do now?” Dawn asked in a shaking voice.

The Key and the vampire looked at the Slayer expectantly. Oh, crap! She was okay with the patrolling and the fighting and the slaying but they wanted *strategy*. “We should get out of here.” She blurted.

Dawn looked at her with surprise. “Run away?”

Buffy made up her mind quickly, “no, not run exactly, but we should get all the Scoobies together, so we can protect each other and Glory can’t pick us off one by one. I’ll ring everyone and get them to meet us at the Magic Box, so that we can plan our next move.” And get some help from Giles, she added silently.

“Strategic withdrawal.” Spike said stoutly and Buffy shot him a grateful look.

Spike sank down next to Dawn and watched the Slayer’s retreating back. “You’re gonna be fine Nibblet, Slayer won’t let anything happen to you. And I’ll do what I can.” The depression, which had lifted when he regained his sight, began to sink back down on him as he remembered the last time he’d tried to protect her.

“Why?” Dawn asked simply.

“What?” Spike had been busy with his thoughts – had he missed something? “What do you mean, why?”

“Why do you care what happens to me? Is it to get to Buffy?” She had been longing to ask the question before, but hadn’t had the nerve.

Spike frowned at her. His first instinct was to tell Dawn what she wanted to hear – that it was all about her. But she deserved better. “Yeah, it was at first.” He said slowly and when he saw tears gather in her eyes he said without thought. “But now it’s because you’re mine.”

Dawn’s eyes widened comically. “Yours?”

“Uh no! I don’t mean in the “I own you” kinda way.” He said hurriedly, “it’s the “I think of you as my little sis” kinda way. You know – family.”

Dawn’s eyes were now like saucers. “Little sister?” she whispered, seemingly unaware of the tears that were now streaming down her face.

“Oh, bloody hell! Don’t cry. I shouldn’t’ve said anything, I’m such a wanker.” How could he think that such a sweet, vulnerable young woman like this would want someone like him as an honorary brother? He must be losing his mind.

He made to get up, but stopped as a small, surprisingly strong hand grasped his wrist.

“That’s the nicest thing I’ve heard in a long time, *big brother*.” Dawn grinned at him through her tears.

A feeling of relief washed through him. “Bloody hell, I’m never gonna live that down, now am I?” He murmured, as he grinned foolishly back.

Neither of them heard Buffy re-enter the room. When she saw them sitting closely together sharing a smile, her heart lurched. Had she let the vampire get too close to Dawn? Was he now transferring his affections to her? She felt a strong emotion that she couldn’t identify. Jealousy? They both became aware of her at the same time and Dawn smiled.

“Spike’s been telling me he’s adopted me as his sister.” Her smile broke into a grin.

The expression on Spike’s face was a conflicting mixture of elation and fear, as he waited for the Slayer’s reaction.

“Sister?” Buffy felt the heaviness lift from her shoulders, but kept her voice cold as the vampire squirmed in his seat. But she couldn’t keep it up for long and had to put her hand over her mouth to try and muffle the giggle that erupted. “I hate to think what that makes me!” She said lightly.

“Oh, bugger! There goes my street cred – straight down the toilet.” Spike moaned, struggling to keep the relieved grin from his face. “Listen – this is not to leave this room! If anyone gets to know about the big bad goin’ soft, I’ll know who squealed.” He could hardly believe it; he thought Buffy would throw him out for sure – if not stake him. He looked at them both and knew now that he wouldn’t - couldn’t leave them whatever happened.

“Come on you two. Get your stuff together; we’re meeting the others at the Magic Box in less than an hour.”

_________________________________________




TBC

You wonderful reviewers are really the best!!